1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Deer Hunters Enter Here

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Shawnsta3, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    How was your luck hunting this year? Can't believe there wasn't a thread already on this.

Personally I got a 9 pointer with a 17 1/2 inch spread. Step-dad got a 12 pointer with a 18 inch spread. Thanks to Quality Deer Management.

P1020803.JPG

2. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,977
    pic didnt work

3. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +875
    Nice rack.

(not too often one can safely say that anymore without getting in trouble)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. melvin dangerr

melvin dangerr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +105
    NICE! did U use a 30.6 or 338?

5. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    I use a 30-30 with a scope. Like it a lot.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm still at camp using the hostess' computer. No bucks for me this year. Got a doe so far and lost another to a no trespassing sign.
    My brother with his 12 ga open sites got a 8-10 pointer (depending on how you count the broken off tines) about 16" with the "brown it's down" management policy. Within a mile of me right now are probably 150 deer. We saw about 75 spotting last night around our 2 mile block. This is after opening weekend. We are on this farming property to thin the herd. QDM is not a high priority.
    One thing we noticed last year and this is a lack of fawns running with the does. Don't know where they are this year. Don't have wolves or many bears around here. Don't think the coyotes or cars are getting more than in past years. Just curious.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Never have shot a 30-30 lever action. Marlin or winchester I assume. What is the max effective range on that weapon?

8. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    It is bolt action. I'm not even sure of who made it. Where I hunt I've never had to shoot her past 40 yards. But I don't think it'd have any trouble hitting 100 yards without too much drop.

It's really accurate and not as slow as I've heard a lot of people think it is.

9. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    Congrats to you and your brother. Mine as well had 2 broken tines and would of been a 10 pointer without one broken off really short. QDM was never a big priority here either until Earn-A-Buck came and really thinned out the herd. Since then we've also only shot 2 does. I'm sure the Insurance Companies aren't too happy about that.

That is puzzling. My place has seen more fawns running along than ever before.

10. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    We hunt Shawano county, just south of the city. The herd in our area really doesn't get hunted hard most years. Neighbors do buck only. During EAB, I heard a few landowners required their hunters to acquire their antlerless deer elsewhere. Not sure of their motives. I had to move stands twice in the past 8 years because the cedars I used for ground cover were browsed off. No branches left lower than 6 feet. That is too many deer. Was not that way on that land 15 years ago.

11. Shawnsta3

Shawnsta3 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +374
    Wow. I used to hunt west of Shawano on highway 29 a few years back and that was definately not the case. This surprises me.