Deanna Favre Talks About Decision

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amber Walker
GREEN BAY - Deanna Favre talked exclusively with Lauren Leamanczyk Friday night as she arrived in Green Bay.

Deanna says she and Brett talked extensively about his decision to return to the Packers. "We’ve been back and forth probably for the last four weeks or so."

She says she’s always been supportive of her husband playing another year for the Packers. But, when Brett went to her for advice, she directed him to an old mentor, former Packers assistant coach Steve Mariucci. Mariucci agreed with Deanna. "We basically told him the same thing and I think that was kind of a sign to him," she says of Brett’s final decision.

According to his wife, Favre’s biggest concerns were whether he could he still compete at the level he’s come to expect and whether or not he wanted to commit the time to conditioning.

So will this be Brett Favre’s final season in a Packer’s uniform?

Deanna’s keeping mum. "I thought this past season was his last season so that wasn’t anything we’ve talked about yet."

Deanna told TODAY'S TMJ4 that they had planned to make a decision before the Super Bowl.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it, Brett is at that football age, where retirement is certainly on his agenda. The man won't play forever. The key for Brett, I think, is that he still plays at a very high level. What he has lost in speed and agility he should be making up for in his knowledge of the game. I have said this on many occasions, but when he has the time, and when he goes through all of his reads, there isn't a better quarterback to ever play this game. I just think right now he means more to the Packers than ever before. But Aaron Rogers day is coming soon, so I hope he learns to prepare like Brett does, but mostly I hope he has the talent to step in when #4 pulls the plug. For now, let's enjoy this one last season and hope that Ted Thompson can fill in the holes and we can make a run for the Super Bowl.

ytnewton

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's face it, Brett is at that football age, where retirement is certainly on his agenda. The man won't play forever. The key for Brett, I think, is that he still plays at a very high level. What he has lost in speed and agility he should be making up for in his knowledge of the game. I have said this on many occasions, but when he has the time, and when he goes through all of his reads, there isn't a better quarterback to ever play this game. I just think right now he means more to the Packers than ever before. But Aaron Rogers day is coming soon, so I hope he learns to prepare like Brett does, but mostly I hope he has the talent to step in when #4 pulls the plug. For now, let's enjoy this one last season and hope that Ted Thompson can fill in the holes and we can make a run for the Super Bowl.
How can you say he still plays at a high level when he had 2 of his 3 worst seasons in the last two years? The 3rd was his 2nd year as a full time starter. 7 of his games this year he had a 60 rating or below, that is not the real Favre. It will be a shame to watch him deteriorate this year before our eyes, but it will happen, mark my words. This decision is a selfish one on his part to think he can regain past glory. I feel sorry for all Pack fans for what is coming this year.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How can you say he still plays at a high level when he had 2 of his 3 worst seasons in the last two years? The 3rd was his 2nd year as a full time starter. 7 of his games this year he had a 60 rating or below, that is not the real Favre. It will be a shame to watch him deteriorate this year before our eyes, but it will happen, mark my words. This decision is a selfish one on his part to think he can regain past glory. I feel sorry for all Pack fans for what is coming this year.

Brett > Aaron

case closed.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

You suffer from what all foolish football "analysts" suffer from when judging the GB Packers...

You hold Favre to a higher standard than anyone else in the NFL by forgetting the team that surrounds him....

You seem to think that Favre should be able to "will" any Packer team to the playoffs--no matter how young or how bad they are as a team....Actually, it's a form of flattery for Favre--but it is misguided.

Nobody can will or carry a bad team into the playoffs. Nobody. Not Montana, Not Elway, Not Marino, etc. Yet Favre is continually held to this standard....which is not fair.

However, Favre can carry a mediocre team into the post season, as he's done time and time again. But a bad team--no...

What you also do not understand is that the Packers are getting better....

How much remains to be seen by what moves TT makes as a GM this year...

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amber Walker
GREEN BAY - Deanna Favre talked exclusively with Lauren Leamanczyk Friday night as she arrived in Green Bay.

Deanna says she and Brett talked extensively about his decision to return to the Packers. "We’ve been back and forth probably for the last four weeks or so."

She says she’s always been supportive of her husband playing another year for the Packers. But, when Brett went to her for advice, she directed him to an old mentor, former Packers assistant coach Steve Mariucci. Mariucci agreed with Deanna. "We basically told him the same thing and I think that was kind of a sign to him," she says of Brett’s final decision.

According to his wife, Favre’s biggest concerns were whether he could he still compete at the level he’s come to expect and whether or not he wanted to commit the time to conditioning.

So will this be Brett Favre’s final season in a Packer’s uniform?

Deanna’s keeping mum. "I thought this past season was his last season so that wasn’t anything we’ve talked about yet."

Deanna told TODAY'S TMJ4 that they had planned to make a decision before the Super Bowl.

I hope people take note on what Brett Favre's wife said. "Favre’s biggest concerns were whether he could he still compete at the level he’s come to expect and whether or not he wanted to commit the time to conditioning."

Maybe next year we don't have to hear about the BS that it's about Favre's family. That's getting old and stale.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Stats are for accountants and Fantasy Football.
I doubt you are an accountant, so here's some advice for you...next year don't draft Brett when you are at one of your I'm sure many FF drafts, thinking you are a real GM and you are running a real football team.

Anybody with just a little sense of football knowledge realizes that Brett is still the best option for The Packers in 2007.

Oh and by the way if you feel so sorry for us Packer fans then.....
JUST F.......ING GO AWAY AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT US.

You obviously are not a Packer fan(or a football fan), if you were, you would never use the words SELFISH and BRETT FAVRE in the same sentence.

You think we as Packer fans still think Brett can play like he did 10 years ago, Packer fans know that's not going to happen, but when Brett does leave, it will be a long time(if ever) we will see any player who has played the game like Brett Favre. Todays game is full of Prima donnas and me me me players, Brett has always been the ultimate team player, and is THE LEADER OF THE PACKERS untill he decides he's not.

SCREW YOUR STATS AND YOUR OPINION BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of the things that makes great quarterbacks is surrounding them with great talent. Take a look at who Brett is throwing the ball to, and other than Driver, there is no proven receiver on this team. How in the world can you expect any quarterback, no matter how good they are to have high ratings when you have the large number of dropped passes and wrong routes run by our receivers the past two years. I still believe that if you put quality receivers with a good offensive line in front of Brett, he'll make this offense almost unstoppable.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Stats are like cheerleaders, they'll show you a lot but not everything"
All things considered we can agree 05 was one of Brett's weaker years but for someone who follows the team most would have to rank last year as one of Brett's better ones. I think he probably did more as far as leadership then any of his other years but you can't find a stat for that

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

How come you dont mention the 5 games where he had 90 or over? One of which was a 127?

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ytnewton said:

Stats are for accountants and Fantasy Football.
I doubt you are an accountant, so here's some advice for you...next year don't draft Brett when you are at one of your I'm sure many FF drafts, thinking you are a real GM and you are running a real football team.

Anybody with just a little sense of football knowledge realizes that Brett is still the best option for The Packers in 2007.

Oh and by the way if you feel so sorry for us Packer fans then.....
JUST F.......ING GO AWAY AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT US.

You obviously are not a Packer fan(or a football fan), if you were, you would never use the words SELFISH and BRETT FAVRE in the same sentence.

You think we as Packer fans still think Brett can play like he did 10 years ago, Packer fans know that's not going to happen, but when Brett does leave, it will be a long time(if ever) we will see any player who has played the game like Brett Favre. Todays game is full of Prima donnas and me me me players, Brett has always been the ultimate team player, and is THE LEADER OF THE PACKERS untill he decides he's not.

SCREW YOUR STATS AND YOUR OPINION BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT.

Ditto here!

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the things that makes great quarterbacks is surrounding them with great talent. Take a look at who Brett is throwing the ball to, and other than Driver, there is no proven receiver on this team. How in the world can you expect any quarterback, no matter how good they are to have high ratings when you have the large number of dropped passes and wrong routes run by our receivers the past two years. I still believe that if you put quality receivers with a good offensive line in front of Brett, he'll make this offense almost unstoppable.

This is what I've been saying FOR YEARS..(and I believe that this is what Deanna is saying as well)...Packedhouse...and yet, some people here...(including some GM's) just don't get it..

Protect Favre and surround him with some talent and you can go all the way....

It's the truth..I don't know why some people fail to believe it... :shrug:

(To me it seems that TT is trying to do it the hard way, for some reason...)

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

This is what I've been saying FOR YEARS..(and I believe that this is what Deanna is saying as well)...Packedhouse...and yet, some people here...(including some GM's) just don't get it..

That was one of the biggest beefs with Mike Sherman. He never got Brett Favre any weapons to throw to.

Sherman revamped the Packers WR corp when he dumped Billy, Free and Corey. He brought in Robert "injury prone" Ferguson and Javon Walker who had only one good year with the Packers.

Sherman had a good one on the hook in Terry Glenn but dumped him after one season. Glenn had 56 catches with 37 of them for 1st downs. Glenn was a chain mover. :shrug:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
packedhouse01 said:

That was one of the biggest beefs with Mike Sherman. He never got Brett Favre any weapons to throw to.

Sherman revamped the Packers WR corp when he dumped Billy, Free and Corey. He brought in Robert "injury prone" Ferguson and Javon Walker who had only one good year with the Packers.

Sherman had a good one on the hook in Terry Glenn but dumped him after one season. Glenn had 56 catches with 37 of them for 1st downs. Glenn was a chain mover. :shrug:

Cliff - I don't understand either why we dumped Glenn. He continued to have a good career after the Packers:
2003 dal | 16 | 3 55 18.3 0 | 52 754 14.5 5 |
| 2004 dal | 6 | 1 -3 -3.0 0 | 24 400 16.7 2 |
| 2005 dal | 16 | 2 -4 -2.0 1 | 62 1136 18.3 7 |
| 2006 dal | 16 | 3 11 3.7 0 | 70 1047 15.0 6 |

Maybe he asked for too much money? I didn't really follow that story.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What he has lost in speed and agility he should be making up for in his knowledge of the game.

Incorrect. I still see him dodging defensive players. He's as mobile as ever. He is not as stiff in the pocket as the obvious Peyton Manning, David Carr, Matt Leinhart, or Alex Smith.

I have said this on many occasions, but when he has the time, and when he goes through all of his reads, there isn't a better quarterback to ever play this game.

I agree. Marino at the end of his career was immobile. it did not matter because he could release the ball fast enough against any blitz. Experience makes older QB's more aware on the field and quicker to react.

Deanna has been very supportive and identifies the key thing to Brett continued play and what has made him the great player he is.

Brett Favre's desire to play, willingness to work, practice, and prepare not only has made him what he is but what keeps him going.

Now get the surgery!! I don't want to hear a Brett News conference like last August how getting out of bed felt like walking on broken glass.

The one thing that will hurt his desire more than anything else will be frustrating mireads by WR's. Another smart WR that can catch will help much as Jennings has.

firstdownfemale

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Brett Favre means more to the team with each passing year, although this one definitely has the stamp of FINAL on it.

See, I'm thrilled that I don't have to see him go yet, but I really can't stand to see him fail.

I hope Favre's not coming back just to break John Elway's victory record or complete more touchdown passes than Dan Marino. He has to know he is beyond records and into legend already.
www.ivillage.com/femalefan

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Deanna Favre's(or women in general) thoughts mean as much to me as a bag of salt & vinegar chips.

Yuck.

Please ladies; the men are talking.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You must live alone in a basement somewhere...or with your mother....

Members online

Latest posts