1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Dealing with a scammer from area code 876. (Jamaica)

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Raptorman, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Raptorman

Raptorman Vikings fan since 1966.

Ratings:
    +837
    So I was up on a ladder painting today when I received a call from the 876 area code on my cell phone. 876-489-6444 to be exact. So I answered and according to "Mr. Michael Anderson" from the Publishers Clearing House I had won 2.5 millions dollars. Only problem is, I never entered any PCH give away in my life and I know that 876 is the area code for Jamaica. So I talked with the guy for a few minutes and he told me I needed to call 866-996-5997 with a pin to verify my winnings. I could also hear noise in the background that sounded like kids playing. Now, I am only giving the phone numbers for purpose of people not being scammed. So I hung up and figured that would be the end of it. Well about 20 minutes later "Mr. Michael Anderson" called me back wanting to know if I had called the number to verify my winnings. I had not. But I had called my wife just to check the phone numbers to verify my suspicions. So the second call went like this.
    Me: Hello
    Mr. A. Did you get a chance to call and verify your winnings?
    Me: No, I called but couldn't get through, is that number 866-996-5997?
    Mr. A. Yes.
    Me: Well I will try again in a few minutes. But I have to tell you I did get a chance to call my brother and tell him I had won $2.5 million. He works for the government and is going to retire in a few months and I was going to give him some of the money to help him out. He was so thankful. We talked about it and wanted to do something for you, so I gave him the phone numbers you gave me and he is putting them into the NSA's international terrorist data base of phone numbers.
    Mr. A. What?
    Me: Yeah, my brother works for the NSA and he is putting the telephone numbers you gave me into the NSA's international terrorist database for tracking....
    Click
    Me: Mr. Anderson? Are you there? Must have hung up.
    Pretty sure he won't be calling back.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,053
    Are you saying this is a scam ??? :eek:
    I gave my bank account details to Dr Otumbaywe Muttawayoo of the Nigerian national bank yesterday so he could pay $25,000,000 into my account because a distant relative of mine died without issue, and I was his next of kin.

Oh poop :mad:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    Some of the stories I could tell you guys about customers at the bank I work at and the hair brained stuff they fall for is enough to make the cast of Up With People break down in tears. Unfortunately, I can't talk about it. It is unbelieveable at times how ... um ... trusting ... yeah, that's the word I'm looking for ... trusting some people are. I try to not be critical or judgmental but man o' livin'. :cautious:

4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I hate that crap !!!! I get them from time to time. They feed me their line of BS and then I tell them I work for the Dept. of Homeland security and *POOF* ......suddenly they hang up.....and that number never calls me again.

5. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,065
    I bought a phone system at home where I can block those numbers, but, to come up with the numbers, they have to try to call at least once. It'd be nice to have a moderately priced phone system where you could block entire area codes, you know?

The calls that really tick me off are the calls directed squarely at older people. Someone (perhaps a magazine geared toward Seniors) HAS to be selling their names to scammers who then only need to go online and get a landline number. Aimed at an entirely different generation who grew up in a time when you could trust people a little more.

6. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Last month added a block to my landline. If the caller ID is hidden, the call is blocked. Did it to stop the thrice daily "I'm from Windows and your computer is infected, let me help" calls. Due to HIPAA laws though, I think it blocks some doctor calls. I've not been notified of appointments lately.