DD

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it this way-
If you had a fantasy football team and could draft any of the WR's in the NFL but you didn't have to talk to them, look at them, listen to them or pay them any money, but you got their stats for each and every game,
who would you draft?
That is elite.

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last 4 years:
2004 GNB 16 84 1208 14.4 50 9 59 1 1
2005 GNB 16 86 1221 14.2 59 5 63 0 0
2006 GNB 16 92 1295 14.1 82 8 53 1 0

yes. that IS elire

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last 4 years:

2004 GNB 16 84 1208 14.4 50 9 59 1 1
2005 GNB 16 86 1221 14.2 59 5 63 0 0
2006 GNB 16 92 1295 14.1 82 8 53 1 0

yes. that IS elite

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it this way-
If you had a fantasy football team and could draft any of the WR's in the NFL but you didn't have to talk to them, look at them, listen to them or pay them any money, but you got their stats for each and every game,
who would you draft?
That is elite.

That's completely irrelevant.

Look at Randy Moss. Elite this year. Not the 2 years before.

Driver had elite numbers for the past 3 years, but not this year because we spread the ball around too much for him to have elite numbers. Doesn't mean he suddenly is an average receiver.

Steve Smith would be elite if the Panthers O wasn't so bad.

There are way too many factors to just look at numbers.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the exception of randy moss, why do you choose these other players over DD. I feel DD is on the same level as all these guys, may be chad Johnson is in another class b/c he has so much size. I just find it amusing how many people give DD no respect.

DD has great hands, very strong running routes over the middle of the field, great blocker on running plays, very unselfish, gets open on big plays, has three straight 1200 yard seasons(which is better than TO), is great with the community in GB, but still DD is not among many peoples best WR.

Agreed. I've posted his numbers on other threads and compared them with other WRs. Last year, he was #5 in "fantasy" stats. He's now #27, but not because he's suddenly bad, it's because our offense has changed entirely. We spread the ball around, which is a GOOD thing. Opposing Ds have no idea who we're going to kill them with.

The sad thing is, it hurts DD's stats. This shouldn't even be an argument, folks. DD is an elite WR. DD is cool enough to realize that winning is more important than stats, so he doesn't protest not getting the ball all the time. That, my friends, is a team player.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Look at it this way-
who would you draft?
That is elite.

That's completely irrelevant.

Look at Randy Moss. Elite this year. Not the 2 years before.

Driver had elite numbers for the past 3 years, but not this year because we spread the ball around too much for him to have elite numbers. Doesn't mean he suddenly is an average receiver.

Steve Smith would be elite if the Panthers O wasn't so bad.

There are way too many factors to just look at numbers.

An elite player is an elite player. You look at his total body of work not just 1 or 2 or even 4 seasons.
Sometimes you have a player who has an off year. Injury or other factors. That does not make him less of a player he just had a poor year.
But what has he done thru out his career. That is what makes him elite. If Smith is injured every other year and doesn't live up to his potential then he is not elite. IF things worked out he could have been but no one got into the Hall based on what could have been.

brnt247

Cheesehead
Reaction score
brnt247 said:
slowsinistermo said:
agopackgo4 said:
Timmons said:
Ask yourself this, who would you rather have playing receiver on your team? My answer is easy because DD is consistent. How many games in a row now with a catch? And last year he was double covered the whole season and still put up good numbers.

I think people are taking me wrong. I dont think DD is a bad reciever at all. He is doing a good job this year, and he is causing Jones, and Jennings to get open by being double teamed, and he is still catching balls. And Ill take DD one on one with any defender in the open field. I just dont think that he is a number one. But to answer the question. I would take Randy Moss, TO, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress, and Houshmandzadeh, among others above DD.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW DUDE

That's actually pretty acurate. There isn't really an argument to say he is better than any of them. Maybe he is as good, but to be honest if I could pick any of the aformentioned right now, I would pick all of them before Driver.

with the exception of randy moss, why do you choose these other players over DD. I feel DD is on the same level as all these guys, may be chad Johnson is in another class b/c he has so much size. I just find it amusing how many people give DD no respect.

DD has great hands, very strong running routes over the middle of the field, great blocker on running plays, very unselfish, gets open on big plays, has three straight 1200 yard seasons(which is better than TO), is great with the community in GB, but still DD is not among many peoples best WR.

Giving him respect and having a homeristic view about a good player is completely different. Driver is a very talented reciever who keeps his mouth shut and just does business. I respect him as much as anyone, but to say he can make plays like Fitzgerald, Burress, Housh, Chad, Harrison, and Wayne in my opinion isn't accurate. 1200 recieving yards is good, but he was the ONLY target. He is good in every facet of the game but he isn't great at any one of them. I'm sorry if my views aren't in agreement with yours, but if you were a fan of the St. Louis Rams I can guarantee you when you name the top 5 recievers DD's name isn't involved. It is like that with nearly every fan of every other team and also with every analyst.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at it this way-
who would you draft?
That is elite.

Not DD. I would take anyone from my list..on my fantasy team before i would draft driver.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
Look at it this way-
who would you draft?
That is elite.

Not DD. I would take anyone from my list..on my fantasy team before i would draft driver.

That's fine. I am not in a fantasy league. I would not take DD 1st either.

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last 57(past 3 seasons+9 games this year) games recieving yards:

Marvin Harrison - 4320
Donald Driver - 4326
Reggie Wayne - 4445
Anquan Boldin - 4488
Steve Smith - 4526
Torry Holt - 4769
Terrell Owens - 4789
Chad Johnson - 4927

DD and Chad Johnson were the only two WRs in the NFL to rank in the top 10 in rec. yards in each of the 2004/2005/2006 seasons.

Driver is as good as it gets in terms of productivity.

mike_donnelly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is there stats kept for yards achieved after the catch is made? because watching both packers and patriots play this season, I have noticed the WR's from these 2 teams have been great at getting those extra few yards. No surprises these are 2 of the very successful teams so far. I think squeezing extra yards out has an extremely positive effect.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD is damn good, but he's not elite. That's no knock on him. There are some HOF caliber guys playing right now and DD isn't a HOF player. Again, no knock on him. I'm damn happy to have him, but a person can't objectively put him over guys like Chad Johnson, Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, etc.

To the guy that compared him to Sharpe, he's not even close. Sharpe was clearly the best receiver in the league behind only a prime Jerry Rice. In 1992, Sharpe led the NFL in receptions, receiving yards, and TDs. Think about that for a second. I don't know if anyone else has done that. His 18 TDs in his final season (1994) are the 2nd most in NFL history. Sharpe was a beast.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
brnt247 said:
slowsinistermo said:
agopackgo4 said:
Timmons said:
Ask yourself this, who would you rather have playing receiver on your team? My answer is easy because DD is consistent. How many games in a row now with a catch? And last year he was double covered the whole season and still put up good numbers.

I think people are taking me wrong. I dont think DD is a bad reciever at all. He is doing a good job this year, and he is causing Jones, and Jennings to get open by being double teamed, and he is still catching balls. And Ill take DD one on one with any defender in the open field. I just dont think that he is a number one. But to answer the question. I would take Randy Moss, TO, Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Plaxico Burress, and Houshmandzadeh, among others above DD.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW DUDE

That's actually pretty acurate. There isn't really an argument to say he is better than any of them. Maybe he is as good, but to be honest if I could pick any of the aformentioned right now, I would pick all of them before Driver.

Giving him respect and having a homeristic view about a good player is completely different. Driver is a very talented reciever who keeps his mouth shut and just does business. I respect him as much as anyone, but to say he can make plays like Fitzgerald, Burress, Housh, Chad, Harrison, and Wayne in my opinion isn't accurate. 1200 recieving yards is good, but he was the ONLY target. He is good in every facet of the game but he isn't great at any one of them. I'm sorry if my views aren't in agreement with yours, but if you were a fan of the St. Louis Rams I can guarantee you when you name the top 5 recievers DD's name isn't involved. It is like that with nearly every fan of every other team and also with every analyst.

So after 7 posts, you declare me a homer b/c I feel DD is an elite WR. I just wonder if you have not followed me here from another forum? Anyways, I ask you why exactly is DD NOT as good as Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson, Fitzgerald.

Based on what? Stats? ability to make plays? Size?

If a WR is dbl teamed on every play, and for three years straight puts up 1200 yrds even though he is dbl teamed, never complains, is tough, has great hands, blocks well, that is as good as it gets.

maybe you should go back to your Dallas Cowboy forum & talk ABOUT how TO is a changed man!

We'll see how changed he is when Harris & Woodson shut him down. I can hear TO balling already.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DD is damn good, but he's not elite. That's no knock on him. There are some HOF caliber guys playing right now and DD isn't a HOF player. Again, no knock on him. I'm damn happy to have him, but a person can't objectively put him over guys like Chad Johnson, Moss, TO, Holt, Harrison, Wayne, Andre Johnson, Fitzgerald, etc.

not good enough, specifically, in detail, why is DD not as good as the receivers you mentioned. What are you basing your post on?

its like saying grilled shrimp is not as good as grilled steak. I do not know why, but it just is not.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aytumious said:

not good enough, specifically, in detail, why is DD not as good as the receivers you mentioned. What are you basing your post on?

its like saying grilled shrimp is not as good as grilled steak. I do not know why, but it just is not.

Ok. TDs and big plays. Too many drops.

Of the guys I mentioned, TO is probably the only guy who drops as many balls as DD. They all tend to score more TDs or they get more big plays.

DD is a great player, but the dropped passes and lack of big plays and TDs puts him just a notch below the truly elite WRs in the league. Its no knock on DD to put him a notch below some of the best to play the position (several of those guys are going to the HOF). He's great at what he does, which is pick up first downs and RAC. He's also excellent in traffic.

He's actually better in the TD department than I expected over the last three years, but several guys still have more or have more big plays of 20+ yards and especially 40+. If you stack up his 2004-2006 seasons, there really aren't many who were better overall., but there are a few.

DD is a top 10 WR, but its not hard to find 5 guys better than him (Harrison if healthy, TO, Moss, Johnson, and probably Steve Smith or Wayne). There are several teams that would kill to have a #1 like DD.

You can compare stats by year at NFL.com, and it shows the big plays of 20+ and 40+, 1st downs, and 1st down percentage. DD has definitely been a damn good receiver this year and the previous three. Braylon Edwards is moving himself way up the list with his play this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...3-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
Aytumious said:

Of the guys I mentioned, TO is probably the only guy who drops as many balls as DD. They all tend to score more TDs or they get more big plays.

DD is a great player, but the dropped passes and lack of big plays and TDs puts him just a notch below the truly elite WRs in the league. Its no knock on DD to put him a notch below some of the best to play the position (several of those guys are going to the HOF). He's great at what he does, which is pick up first downs and RAC. He's also excellent in traffic.

He's actually better in the TD department than I expected over the last three years, but several guys still have more or have more big plays of 20+ yards and especially 40+. If you stack up his 2004-2006 seasons, there really aren't many who were better overall., but there are a few.

DD is a top 10 WR, but its not hard to find 5 guys better than him (Harrison if healthy, TO, Moss, Johnson, and probably Steve Smith or Wayne). There are several teams that would kill to have a #1 like DD.

You can compare stats by year at NFL.com, and it shows the big plays of 20+ and 40+, 1st downs, and 1st down percentage. DD has definitely been a damn good receiver this year and the previous three. Braylon Edwards is moving himself way up the list with his play this year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...3-s=RECEIVING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

That is what everybody says. TD. DD is not elite b/c he does not score. I guess I'd have to agree w/that. I feel guys like Moss, & Chad Johnson are in another class b/c of their size, but wayne v.s. DD, I just feel DD is the better athlete.

I really hope Harris & Woodson can contain TO, & DD has a big game. So many people take stats as why DD is not elite. But DD never really complained, or demanded the ball be thrown to him. Plus he played behind Brooks, Freeman, who were some really good players. What if DD would post three more 1200 yrd seasons, so DD would have 6 straight 1200 yrd seasons, where would he rank then?

It seems if you ask a fantasy football guy, he does not feel DD is elite b/c he does not score.

If you ask a football fan, they love Driver.

Aytumious

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aytumious said:
dhpackr said:
Aytumious said:

That is what everybody says. TD. DD is not elite b/c he does not score. I guess I'd have to agree w/that. I feel guys like Moss, & Chad Johnson are in another class b/c of their size, but wayne v.s. DD, I just feel DD is the better athlete.

I really hope Harris & Woodson can contain TO, & DD has a big game. So many people take stats as why DD is not elite. But DD never really complained, or demanded the ball be thrown to him. Plus he played behind Brooks, Freeman, who were some really good players. What if DD would post three more 1200 yrd seasons, so DD would have 6 straight 1200 yrd seasons, where would he rank then?

It seems if you ask a fantasy football guy, he does not feel DD is elite b/c he does not score.

If you ask a football fan, they love Driver.

I hate fantasy football. I'm more into trying to objectively rate how good guys are both during their playing days and throughout history so I can have an intelligent conversation about it. Its something I take pride in all the major sports (NBA, NFL, and MLB).

It will be nearly impossible for DD to have 3 more 1200 yard seasons given his age and the fact we have so many more weapons and Favre is great at spreading the wealth if he has good players around him. He's on pace for "only" 1070, which is understandable with the emergence of Jennings and Lee, the play of Jones, and the return of K-Rob. DD probably won't even get to the 1070 mark, which is fine, and no knock on him. For many of those years, DD was the only real threat. Its a testament to his abilities that he did what he did with constant doubles.

I don't see it as much of a knock to say DD is top 10, but not really a top 5 guy. Harrison, Moss, and TO are basically HOF locks and C. Johnson very well could make it.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IM TIRED OF JUST SEEING THIS THREAD ON HERE. MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER HOW ANYONE CAN QUESTION IF HE IS ELITE OR NOT. MUST BE SOME FAKE PACKER FANS ON HERE AND FAKE NFL FANS ON HERE THAT JUST COMPARE PLAYERS BASED ON STATS. EVEN THOUGH HIS STATS SHOW HE IS GREAT RIGHT THERE. BUT IF YOU HAVE WATCHED THE PACKERS PLAY OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS YOU SEE DONALD DRIVER MAKE A CATCH AND TURN A SMALL GAIN INTO A HUGE GAIN. REFUSES TO GET TACKLED.

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's what is so great about a discussion forum, if you do not like a thread, you can just ignore it and move on to the next one.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes Donald Driver is a very underrated wide receiver, and he is one of the best wide receivers in the NFL, but when you argue about who's better between him and Mr. Terrell Owens, just look at their production this year. T.O. consistently gets behind the secondary for the big play and still has the speed in his 30's to outrun most corners in the NFL. They're the top 2 recievers going over the middle for their toughness, it's pretty much a coin flip, but T.O. has a slight edge. T.O. loves Favre too, don't forget he said that if they (2004 eagles) had Favre on their team, they'd have won the super bowl.

slowsinistermo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IM TIRED OF JUST SEEING THIS THREAD ON HERE. MAKES ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE WHAT SO EVER HOW ANYONE CAN QUESTION IF HE IS ELITE OR NOT. MUST BE SOME FAKE PACKER FANS ON HERE AND FAKE NFL FANS ON HERE THAT JUST COMPARE PLAYERS BASED ON STATS. EVEN THOUGH HIS STATS SHOW HE IS GREAT RIGHT THERE. BUT IF YOU HAVE WATCHED THE PACKERS PLAY OVER THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS YOU SEE DONALD DRIVER MAKE A CATCH AND TURN A SMALL GAIN INTO A HUGE GAIN. REFUSES TO GET TACKLED.

hear, hear....DD is a stud and anyone arguing hes not elite IS a fake packer fan and should get the hell out of here

OP
OP
D

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tkpckfan said:

hear, hear....DD is a stud and anyone arguing hes not elite IS a fake packer fan and should get the hell out of here

yeah..b/c this forum is for elite packer fans only!!@!!

Members online

No members online now.