D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a few mocks with us grabbing him.. To be honest, I don't know much about the guy other than he's supposed to be a franchise left tackle type.

But! How well does this guy fit into a zone-blocking scheme? Anybody see any of his college games? What'd he look like?

route25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 305 | 40-Time: 5.07

Official Bio

Strengths:
Has rare athletic ability for the position...Feet are second to none and he is like a big dancing bear...Extremely quick and agile with outstanding mobility...Balance is outstanding...Has long arms...Is amazing in pass protection...Has a large frame with a lot of growth potential...Smart player who is constantly improving...Still has a lot of upside...Is very durable...Has a ton of experience having started at left tackle since his true freshman year...Character and intangibles are outstanding.

Weaknesses:
Began his career with the Cavs at 260 lbs. and has been doing a good job of adding weight but he needs to continue to get bigger and stronger...Will the extra bulk affect his mobility?...Still a bit undersized by pro standards and could get pushed around a little, especially in the run game...May play a little soft and could stand to show more of a killer instinct and some extra attitude on the field.

Notes:
May have gone as high as #2 or #3 overall in the 2005 NFL Draft had he come out after his junior season...The type of rare franchise left tackle that doesn't come around very often...Should be one of the premier prospects available.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Clifton can be moved to RT we might take him. If Clifton can't play RT then we'll pass on him.. Though if Clifton can look at this line.. Yes I'm talking to you Brett Favre..

LT D'Brick
LG Kevan Barry
C Scott Wells
RG Mark Tausher
RT Chad Clifton

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
If Clifton can be moved to RT we might take him. If Clifton can't play RT then we'll pass on him.. Though if Clifton can look at this line.. Yes I'm talking to you Brett Favre..

LT D'Brick
LG Kevan Barry
C Scott Wells
RG Mark Tausher
RT Chad Clifton

Barry cannot play left guard -- it is questionable whether or not he will be able to play right guard, he is a fine run blocker but very weak as a pass blocker because of lack of athletic ability. I don't think that a zone blocking scheme is ideal for him, but if he makes it into the starting lineup it will be on the right side.

Clifton is too talented to waste at RT. If the Packers were contemplating such a move they should trade him, as he is one of only a few Packers with true trade value.

Mark T may move to right guard, but that will only happen if Barry clearly shows he needs to be in the lineup.

Coston, Klemm and either a draft choice or some veteran free agents are likely to compete for the LG spot.

D'Brickashaw is a great LT prospect, but the Packers are in need of many position upgrades -- LT is NOT one of them.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has stated over and over that he prefers to use the draft to get the best player available. One specific quote goes something like, "If Michael Jordan's available, you draft Michael Jordan" whether you need a guard or not.

I think paying an O-Lineman that kind of money might stick in TT's craw, though...

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First I think Klemm is much better suited for the zone blocking scheme, he fits the "light guard" mold that this system requires. Second, I think Coston is a dark horse to either take a guard or center position.

I remember one of the coston threads here was talking about how Jags scouted him while coaching for Atlanta...Coston went in the 6th round. This tells me that Jags will look for, and suggest, guys to fit his system, not "the best guy out there"--the way TT drafts value, Ferguson to #5 would be possible, but honestly I dont think he makes it past the Jets

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since69 said:
TT has stated over and over that he prefers to use the draft to get the best player available. One specific quote goes something like, "If Michael Jordan's available, you draft Michael Jordan" whether you need a guard or not.

I think paying an O-Lineman that kind of money might stick in TT's craw, though...

so far. i agree Clifton should play LT, and im not sure he would do as well at RT anyway. second, i don't think barry is of much value to us anymore... unless he can catch. klemm would be a good fit for RG, as his mobility is key for strong side run-blocking in the zone scheme. third, tauscher can play guard if we need him, but i really really really really hope we can trade for a guard (MY KINGDOM FOR A GUARD!) And last but not least, what the ***** is a craw?

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made this comment weeks ago and got blasted for it. If Ferguson falls to us, we pick him and trade up for Bush. No one is going to give us enough value for Clifton in a trade, and his contract probably wouldn't allow for a trade right now. Ferguson is not going to get top 5 money to play guard, and LT is Clifton's only position.

There is no way that TT will let Ferguson or Mario drop past us at #5 without dictating where that player goes. Please, please, please Tennesse pick Vince Young.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DakotaT said:
I made this comment weeks ago and got blasted for it. If Ferguson falls to us, we pick him and trade up for Bush.

I'm kind of confused. Are you saying Bush will fall out of the top five and we should take Ferguson and use Ferguson to trade DOWN to get Bush?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he means Houston drafts BUsh. We take D'Brick and then we swap picks like the Chargers and Giants did but we'd have to give next years first.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I wasn't clear guys. Of course we trade D'brick to Houston for Bush and I'm sure it would cost us next years #1 too.

I agree with all of you that want a top notch D and think we should get Mario, Hawk, or Huff. But if we land Woodson and Arrington, to go along with Manuel and Pickett, I think we can afford to go after Bush.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ridiculous!
i got an idea....

lets take kevin barry and put him at QB .... cause i personally think brett favre would make a great left guard. then we can move clifton to right tackle and put jesus christ in at center.

clifton needs to stay put, tausch needs to stay put, pray to god our current interior o-line is suited for the new scheme like the coaches say, and draft a player like mario or hawk or vernon davis. we all know our problem with the line is the interior.

SOOO how does it make sense to draft an tackle when both tackles we have starting are top of the line for at least 2 more years. and then once you draft that tackle move our proven tackles inside and make them try that.... come on this is crazy

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You draft Ferguson if he fall because you have a trade in place with Houston already. Why is that so difficult to understand? Nobody is saying to move Clifton and Tausch anywhere!

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
lets take kevin barry and put him at QB .... cause i personally think brett favre would make a great left guard. then we can move clifton to right tackle and put jesus christ in at center.

bahahahaha...good stuff Packnic.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Packnic said:

bahahahaha...good stuff Packnic.

No. Jesus Christ is currently the Center for the Steelers.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im with ya dakota... i agree if he falls to us we have to look at drafting him and hoping we can work a trade somehow.... but if we think about drafting him it has to be soley based on a trade.... no time for our 5th overall pick to be on the bench or switching up proven players. im just sayin id rather take some one else with that pick or trade down for more first rounders.

DakotaT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
im with ya dakota... i agree if he falls to us we have to look at drafting him and hoping we can work a trade somehow.... but if we think about drafting him it has to be soley based on a trade.... no time for our 5th overall pick to be on the bench or switching up proven players. im just sayin id rather take some one else with that pick or trade down for more first rounders.
Yeah, we wouldn't draft Ferguson to play him because we have no spot for him. Clifton is locked up for years. My whole point is that these players have value, and Ferguson and Mario have more value than Hawk. Letting one of them pass you by just to draft your target player is irresponsible. TT's job is not only to get the right players, but also to maximize draft position.

Ferguson would not fit in Green Bay right now, but there are probably 15 teams in the NFL that would give a left nut for him.

I need to start proofreading my posts. Sometimes this stuff comes flying off the hip. Sorry for the confusion.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no biggie.... i agree with everything you just said.... BUT i think we absolutely have to have a trade in the works before we pick him... not that having to keep him would be all that bad.... but it would also be irresponsible use of a high pick.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Best case for us wouldn't be to pick him, but to simply trade down a couple spots. Then we could grab Davis, Hawk or Huff depending on who's available along with adding another draft pick or 2.

Members online

Latest posts