DB Shuffle - 10/6/19 Edition

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

That's two consecutive #2 picks! :cry:
Look on the bright side. This year's #2 is quickly becoming a very good player. Jenkins was whiffing on second level run blocks early in preseason. Now he's chipping on the way to the second level and then pancaking Vander Esch in the end zone.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

THAT, was a thing of beauty. Jenkins effectively influenced 3 Cowboy defenders on that play. Too bad we didn't have that kind of blocking against the Eagles, we might be 5-0!

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.co...vs-cowboys-jenkins-block-jones-td/3904468002/
And that was not the only impressive second level block he had on Sunday. He may not be pancaking guys all over the place (nobody does), but he's consistently getting a good hat on somebody.

His progress is especially impressive given how little OG he played in college. He was the starting center his last two seasons. Before that it looks like he played more OT than OG. According to the following it would appear he had only two starts at OG over his college career:

https://hailstate.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4684

Anyway, Savage and Jenkins are winners. Gary is a work in progress, but while everbody wants to see those splash play sacks they've overlooked that he's already good against the run, which is a start. You would not want to leave him unblocked on the backside of the run.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch a single game yet this year, other than on GamePass. But I haven't seen much from Hollman lately? Is he still hurt? It seemed like Gute drafted him, kept Brown, and picked up Sullivan to address the possibility of Jackson not panning out; and of course Tramon isn't getting any younger either. But I'm not complaining at all about Sullivan getting more reps out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I haven't been able to watch a single game yet this year, other than on GamePass. But I haven't seen much from Hollman lately?

Hollman has been dealing with a neck injury all season. He was finally active for the Cowboys game, but only saw 5 Special teams snaps.

Learning year for Hollman.

I know a lot of people are disappointed in Josh Jackson, myself included, but I'm holding out hope that its been a mix of injuries and opportunities that have been holding him back. The cards are probably stacked against him at this point, but I can still see him potentially catching on and being a decent DB. He only started one year at Iowa.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Hollman has been dealing with a neck injury all season. He was finally active for the Cowboys game, but only saw 5 Special teams snaps.

Learning year for Hollman.

I know a lot of people are disappointed in Josh Jackson, myself included, but I'm holding out hope that its been a mix of injuries and opportunities that have been holding him back. The cards are probably stacked against him at this point, but I can still see him potentially catching on and being a decent DB. He only started one year at Iowa.

I am not rooting against Jackson or at all convinced that he can't improve, but the truth at the moment is that Tony Brown is a superior player. So I'm rooting for Brown to get healthy and take his snaps for the sake of the current team performance.

I will also admit that PFF's silly insistence that Jackson was a great press man corner coming out of Iowa, plus the idiocy of Rodell and others that he should play over King gives me a little bit of an inclination against him. But I'm not trying to embrace it.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
COOL! Just heard Tony Brown is back and practicing today!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro-football-reference.com has the following targets-against /competion-percentage-against/passer-rating-against through 5 games. Tiny sample size of little relevance for a few of the guys:

Alexander: 38 / 50.0% / 75.9
King: 27 / 51.9% / 63.0 (also 9 missed tackles)
Williams: 14 / 50.0% / 91.1
Brown: 4 / 75.0% / 116.7
Jackson: 3 / 66.7% / 85.4 (passer-rating-against in 2018 was 106.1 on 64 targets.)
Sullivan: Only one target for 25 yards to Cobb. Pretty sure that was his first career NFL snap as noted above.
Amos: 13 / 84.6% / 67.0 (low yardage surrendered, no TDs, 1 INT account for the seeming discrepancy)
Savage: 12 / 58.3% / 59.4
Redmond: 3 / 100.0% / 115.3
Martinez: 19 / 84.2%/113.6
I'd rather have king missing a few extra tackles, than him smearing dudes and Injuring himself again....

Save the real ballin for the playoffs. Imo

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather have king missing a few extra tackles, than him smearing dudes and Injuring himself again....

Save the real ballin for the playoffs. Imo

The Packers might need King to perform at a decent level to make it to the playoffs in the first place though.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers listed him as doubtful for Monday's game against the Lions though.
I happen to think we are just now learning how much gamesmanship LaFleur is willing to employ regarding Injury Reports leading up to games. We’ll see. Should be interesting.

I’m currently leaning towards: a lot.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers might need King to perform at a decent level to make it to the playoffs in the first place though.
I hear you captain... It's not conventional by any means...

But I believe king is a special tallent. He is big fast ,and those long arms of his are the difference between probowl and allpro... He could be one of the best in the league imo.

But first he needs to grow into it .Imo. He came out as a rookie and showed he is a good tackler imo. But he was finding out the NFL RBs are no joke. He busted up his shoulder two years in a row and has been out or limited/liability...

I said it in the preseason. Break the plan with this kid. Tell him to protect himself during the season. Protect them shoulders until playoffs. And so far it looks like some missed tackles has translated into healthy shoulders. And better play by king imo.

In a couple years his shoulders will be fused and muscle built back up to NFL standards . And his physical game will creep back into the mix eventually.

Until then. I am pleased with his production so far and his missed tackles don't bother me at all. He is just like 90percent of the CBs out there now, missing tackles out of self preservation.

When he gets healthy and rebuilt for punishment again. He could be our Richard Sherman of our defense. Imo. That's my hope.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hear you captain... It's not conventional by any means...

But I believe king is a special tallent. He is big fast ,and those long arms of his are the difference between probowl and allpro... He could be one of the best in the league imo.

But first he needs to grow into it .Imo. He came out as a rookie and showed he is a good tackler imo. But he was finding out the NFL RBs are no joke. He busted up his shoulder two years in a row and has been out or limited/liability...

I said it in the preseason. Break the plan with this kid. Tell him to protect himself during the season. Protect them shoulders until playoffs. And so far it looks like some missed tackles has translated into healthy shoulders. And better play by king imo.

In a couple years his shoulders will be fused and muscle built back up to NFL standards . And his physical game will creep back into the mix eventually.

Until then. I am pleased with his production so far and his missed tackles don't bother me at all. He is just like 90percent of the CBs out there now, missing tackles out of self preservation.

When he gets healthy and rebuilt for punishment again. He could be our Richard Sherman of our defense. Imo. That's my hope.

The preseason and week 17 after having secured a specific playoff seed is the only time NFL teams should rest players to prevent them from suffering injuries.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too be fair, Capt, it looks like he's talking in terms of playing at less than 100% to allow existing injuries to heal, not to prevent new ones. Might be a ticky-tack difference, but...

D

Deleted member 6794

Too be fair, Capt, it looks like he's talking in terms of playing at less than 100% to allow existing injuries to heal, not to prevent new ones. Might be a ticky-tack difference, but...

Most NFL players aren't at 100% for the majority of the season. As long as there's not an increased risk of aggravating an injury players shouldn't be rested in my opinion though.

Members online

Latest posts