DB Raven Greene returns to practice, could be ready for playoffs

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/20...urns-to-practice-could-be-ready-for-playoffs/

Green Bay Packers defensive back Raven Greene returned to practice on Thursday and could be available for Mike Pettine’s defense when the Packers begin the postseason on Sunday, Jan. 12. Coach Matt LaFleur said Greene, who was designated for return from injured reserve, could “potentially” be back for the NFC Divisional Round, based on evaluations from the training staff over the next week and a half.

While not a starter, Greene played 70 snaps during the first two weeks as a dime linebacker and backup safety for the Packers. In Week 1, Greene played 55 defensive snaps and produced six tackles and a pass breakup as the Packers held the Chicago Bears to just three points.

Good news. The Tony Brown release makes more sense now. Greene as the 2nd IR reactivation looks imminent.

Honestly, I'm excited. Our run D was much better with Greene in there, though sample size is way too small to make any kind of judgement.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Caught up with #Packers safety Raven Greene in locker room. He described his ankle injury that landed him on IR as "three different injuries in one," the worst being deltoid tear that needed surgery. Only started running couple weeks ago, but he's hopeful to be activated to 53.

I'm not a medical doctor, but isn't the deltoid in your shoulder area?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great to hear, if nothing else, he's working his way back. haven't heard a word since he was injured until now. I doubt he plays much and can't count on a guy that has missed all season and will likely need 3-4 weeks just to get up to game speed, but he's a good guy to have in the back pocket if need be.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

Caught up with #Packers safety Raven Greene in locker room. He described his ankle injury that landed him on IR as "three different injuries in one," the worst being deltoid tear that needed surgery. Only started running couple weeks ago, but he's hopeful to be activated to 53.

Not sure how to describe it in english cuz I am german but its a ligament that is extremely important for the stabilization of the ankle joint.But there is adeltoid muscle in the shoulder area too. So you are not wrong
That explains why he was out this long tho. But I am glad that he will hopefully come back. He played really well when healthy and the defense missed him alot . But I really hope that it will be enough; the bye week really can be golden for the health of this team

H

HardRightEdge

Not sure how to describe it in english cuz I am german but its a ligament that is extremely important for the stabilization of the ankle joint.But there is adeltoid muscle in the shoulder area too. So you are not wrong
That explains why he was out this long tho. But I am glad that he will hopefully come back. He played really well when healthy and the defense missed him alot . But I really hope that it will be enough; the bye week really can be golden for the health of this team
You remind me of a German professor I had in college who would appologize for his English. In fact, his English was better than most, if not all, the kids in that class. And that wasn't some community college or party school, far from it.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greene if up to speed would be huge versus the Saints with the rb and te combination they have. We will likely have a lot of defensive backs on the field

D

Deleted member 6794

Greene if up to speed would be huge versus the Saints with the rb and te combination they have. We will likely have a lot of defensive backs on the field

I highly doubt Greene will be up to speed at that point though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it would take 3-4 weeks to get up to game speed assuming he's 100% physically. I'd like to be wrong, as I think he would be a big boost if he can just step right in.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That probably should be the case. But our D line will need to hold. What happened to Montravious Adams anyway?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I hope I am wrong, but he is starting to feel like another 3rd round bust.

He can get into the backfield from the interior faster than just about anyone save Za'Darius, but it's usually pointless because he doesn't find the ball. And he has not developed any skills for the point of attack.

Given that he's made it to the end of year three without ever having top 20% of the snaps on defense and has 6 collective QB hits, I think you have to assume this was a bust. Kingsley Keke is the new project 3T in the pipeline.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Montravious Adams' best days were in his rookie training camp before injury.

Greene will help in limited spots. I expect that they will get him reps on 1st down running situations to get him up to game speed without putting in situations that require a lot of speed and coverage.

Reaction score
If/when they use the 2nd IR return designation, even that move alone tells us what the staff thinks of his ability to contribute.
Ryan Wood
@ByRyanWood

The 3 ankle tears were a Superplex Lower Deltoid,the Pectoralis footsus and a Quadruceptus Wimpus.
The 3rd set him back by far the most :x3:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If/when they use the 2nd IR return designation, even that move alone tells us what the staff thinks of his ability to contribute.

Not to downplay what Greene might be able to contribute, but he really was the only player on IR worth bringing back. This has been a great year for injuries. Lane Taylor is about the only other guy on IR that would have been eligible to come back and if I remember correctly, his biceps injury was considered season ending.

If nothing else, Green might eventually get some snaps in during the playoffs, but I still don't think the Packers can go into the 2020 season thinking he is the answer at ILB.

Reaction score
Not to downplay what Greene might be able to contribute, but he really was the only player on IR worth bringing back. This has been a great year for injuries.
Good point on limited injuries making it an option to bring him back. I read something about us integrating Greene into a ST role as they monitor his progress. But it’s going to take a few weeks IMO to feel comfortable after missing almost the entire regular season.

I like the progress we’ve seen this season from Ibraheim Campbell. Since his return and being a more significant part of our Defense, we are 6-1 (loss to 49ers). He’s also a little closer in thickness to Amos in the 210-215lb range whereas Greene is a little lighter Safety 195-200lb. Campbell also posted 23 reps, which led the entire Safety group the year he was drafted and runs a more than respectable 4.47.

Still, it’s looking more n more like we may have a capable backup Hybrid Safety in Raven ready to go if we can manage to knock off a team or two.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The 3 ankle tears were a Superplex Lower Deltoid,the Pectoralis footsus and a Quadruceptus Wimpus.
The 3rd set him back by far the most :x3:
Ugh!

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have already used the designation on Greene, otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to practice with the team.

Members online

Latest posts