1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Daytona 500

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Cdnfavrefan, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if we got any nascar fans here. I'm flying out tonight to take in the race next week. After the playoffs 2 weeks on the beach may be the cure. My favorite for the week would be J Johnson but my darkhorse is Elliot Sadler. I'd cheer for the Wisconsin boy but Kenseth first has to get out of a ford :lol: Back in 2 weeks

2. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    I'm a NASCAR fan. My boy Dale kicked butt last night, and i hope it's a sign of things to come.

3. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    I'm a casual Nascar fan. The qualifying for the Daytona 500 is confusing. LOL

4. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Welcome to Hendrick Motorsports.. they will dominate behind the Rainbow warriors, Johnson and the newcommer... it is tough to accept Jr into the stable. But I have cheered for Gordon for years and years.. not changing now.

5. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +113
    well i would watch nascar but we dont show it unless its on channel 5 i remember watching something like it with my bro after the Spurs won the NBA last year it was about 5 in the morning but hey it was cool

6. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    It's weird not cheering against Jeff Gordon. last night it was crazy watching Gordon help Dale slingshot past Stewart for the lead at the end. Hendrick is going to absolutely dominate this year. Last night i think hendrick guys finished 1, 3, 4, and 6. Crazy. It's also weird to see Kahne in the Bud car.

7. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    I hope you get this before you fly out to Daytona.

Being Canadian from the Unknown Province I feel compelled to give you insight on this trip. Daytona is one of my favorite places.

When you get there you must make the drive and go to the farthest Southern point of Daytona's 23 mile beach. You can climb the lighthouse. Talk about history, it was built in 1886. You can climb to the top of the second tallest lighthouse in the U.S.A.

As you walk and labor up the 213 stairs remember those stairs were built in the same year of "The Great Vancouver Fire."

As you walk up the steps, think about the 1,000 buildings that were burning in Vancouver, and in today's Gas Town district the year those steps you are walking up were built. When you get to the top. Take in the smell the ocean breeze, and look North up Daytona Beach. It is haunting.

You have to go to Crabby Joe's for dinner or Lunch. Just ask the locals for directions. You will eat over the Atlantic ocean, and eat the freshest fish in Daytona.

Go to the little known "Brickyard" and order the "Pulled" North Carolina BBQ.

Drinking... You have to go to Froggy's on Main St. Not sure how old you are but the girls there eventually take their tops off. I had to leave, it was too loud and to young for me.

Finally.... At Daytona..... Go to Dale's Statue. Look at "The Penny" that is in-bedded in the base of the statue. Hold your finger over the penny. Think of the penny, and it's origin, and how it was taped to Dales dash board when he won the Daytona 500.

It will bring a tear to your eye.

8. BadlandsViking

BadlandsViking Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    boogity boogity

9. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    He just won the first Gatorade Duel. This reminds me of a few years back when he dominated Talladega.

10. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +652
    through purchasing and sales promos, my dad earned two luxury skybox tix to Bristol for March 16 (he is a Snap-On Tools dealer), but he won't be able to go because plane tix to bristol are `$1000 each. YOW! Guess we'll have to watch on TV like the rest of the schlubs. Tragedy of all tragedies. plus, i have to work this Sunday and won't be able to watch the Daytona 500.

11. IronMan

IronMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +8
    Thats too bad. Yeah Bristol tickets are hard to get too. Especially the night race in August.

12. flep

flep Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I've picked Travis Kvapil to follow this season.

I've joined his forum (Posting as flep on there too)

He comes from Wisconsin and is a big Packers fan.

Thats reason enough for me to cheer him on.

It was a pity in sundays/Mondays race that a broken engine cost him a high finish place. Finished 2nd after Sundays stopped race and was running consistently in the top 10 until lap 144.

13. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well the trip was awesome. Football still where it's at but to be honest there's no live event like the Daytona 500. RP sorry I missed you advice. I know now of most of the things you mentioned. WE actually had a place on the beach with a balcony over the ocean which was cool. It's was chilling to know right there on that beach is where it all began. They still drive on the beach there all day long. I know about the light house but I didn't know the history behind it so that was cool to read in your post. I saw Crabby Joes but I'm not big on sea food. I can't even stand the smell of those restauterants. I'm more of a ******* Barrel hick. The Ernhart statue was cool. People still lay flowers there. The race itself was good but I think I actually preferred Thursdays more then Sunday. ( Maybe that's cause Sunday I was cussing like a sailor when Jimmie wrecked) So far Hendrick boys don't look as dominate but lookl for Jimmie to win this Sunday at a track he rules. Ernharts had some bad luck but I expect him to win soon to. Sorry P93 but Gordon can stay in the back for all I care although he has gone 2 sundays without crying about something so maybe he's getting better

14. nathaniel

nathaniel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend finally convinced me to watch a race for the first time in my life, and Dale Sr died at the end of it, so it completely ruined it for me. Can't get into it at all.