Day 3 going...more Big names going...and TT sitting

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I meant what I said, you don't get a top notch free agent, AT ANY POSITION, by waiting 2 or 3 weeks into free agency.
If you can't understand that then you'll never get it.
Signing a bunch of second tier Fa"s. guys nobody else wants, isn't going to get Brett Favre back on the field, and it sure as hell isn't going to help Rogers if he has to play.
I really don't care what the Vikings do, other then the fact that it seems the guys who played for us all of a sudden think playing for Minnesota is better for them and their careers.
There are teams players want to play for and there are teams players don't want to play for, we are quickly becoming the latter, and it sucks!!!!

Reaction score
Buckeye, there are teams players want to play for because they offer riddiculously high price tags. Many players get the money and then quit trying. After much thought, I don't think it is all that important to throw out our money at one player. That's right, I guess I have shifted some degree on TT.

You have to understand, as much as I liked MS the coach, his tenure as GM left us with basically no depth. TT is trying to build this team up, not do some patch work by signing a FA, only to see them injured and realize we had no capable backup. Things take time, and there are many a name left on the FA list.

For example, look at Hutchinson. We have JUST employed a new O system. Zone blocking is not for every player. Perhaps we didn't go after Hutchinson because film showed he wouldn't be reliable enough to fit into our scheme. And I trust TT's call on that because he had first hand experience with Hutchinson at Seattle.

And as for Vikings paying out the money, how far can they get without a QB? Vikings attract players because they have built a reputation for overpaying. Culpepper had 10 years and over 100 million on a contract, yet the Vikings agreed to give him a raise last year. That's proposterous.

Look, a few people here have said that TT needs more time. And now I am firmly in that boat as well. It is not fair to rip a man over a short period of time. Let things run their course, then I will judge. I choose to support TT because I support the Packers, and I trust in Harlan to make the right call for what is best for the Packers.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about Hutchinson,and I am not ripping TT, he cleared all this cap space by making the moves he made, now he is just sitting on the money, if he waits two or three weeks, there are not going to be any impact players left to sign.
We were 4-12 last year mainly because of injuries, we are not that far from being a winning team again, letting all your veteran players go, and sitting back and doing nothing in free agency isn't the way to get back there.
I am truly beginning to believe that TT doesn't want Brett to come back and will sacrifice a season of losing just to make this his team.

Reaction score
Buckeye, thats what I'm tring to get at. The so called impact players might not be able to make an impact in the specific system the Packers plan to use. Perhaps that is why TT isn't doing anything yet, because the fact that the players he wants can be had a few weeks later.

As for letting Veterans go, its a double sword. Letting veterans test the market means two things: either they will lower their price deman because the demand from the market isn't what they expected OR they will get what the feel is adequate and allow for a price value to be set by the market and let th GM match. Either way, there is always a chance the Veteran will leave. So don't look too down on things yet my friend!

As for Brett, God I hope he is deep in the woods somewhere and completly oblivious to what the Packers have done thus far. I hope he comes out in about 3 weeks, because I believe then the Packers will have made some solid signings.

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the beginning this topic sucked, but the longer it lasted, the better it became.
Imo All About is absolutely right. Nobody wants TT to throw out the money for one or two No. 1 FA's and forget about the depth.
I think that TT, MM and the Pack are trying to build a competitive young team for the future and not for the next season or for two years. They are not building the team around Brett, one of the best QB's to play the game ever but 36 years old and not sure, whether he wants to play one, maybe two more years or to retire. They build it around ARod or a new QB from the Draft or around Super Mario (I hope they get him) or whoever.
If you have a good team and then add Brett the Favrelous, it will be a very good team, if not, you still have a good team.
Without any insider knowledge of the Packers plans for the future, we can't and we shouldn't judge TT's activities until we see the outcome.
Mehr sog i net!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm saying the same thing you all are saying, just in a different way.
I posted a couple of weeks ago, with the money we had to spend, we should be able to get two guys that would crack the starting lineup, one being an impact player, from what I just read on Packernews it looks like Manual is being locked in to the safety spot, he has talent but isn't the impact player we need, I really thought we would go after 1 guy and spend a little more money then normal, that just isn't happening, that is what I am concerned about.
We have a good core of young players, hopefully some will step up this year, but there are some vets on this team who will be severly missed if they are not resigned.
What really bugs me is people who act like we have to completely rebuild, that just isn't true, anything bad that could happen last year did, guys were injured, s..t happens, when we had some resmblence of an offense, the defense was making mistakes, when the defense finally figured it out, we had no offense left.
My biggest concern is TT is not making the moves that will convince Brett to come back. Rogers is going to be a good one but let's face the truth without Brett we don't win many games this coming year.

Just a footnote, it has been a pleasure conversing with the two of you, it's good to know there are still people here that you can carry on a conversation, even if you don't completely agree with them, and the conversation stays civil.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Buckeye said...

"What really bugs me is people who act like we have to completely rebuild...."

You mean like TT...Buckeye...???

I have a theory that Favre knew that this was TT's MO all along, and that he was going to completely destroy the Packers so that "HE" could rebuild them in "his image"....(Man..what a Messianic Complex....eh?)...

and Favre's statements about "not having the fire to play"...and "let's see what happens in FA"....are really just ways to get released from his contract at GB....or traded by TT...

I think he still wants to play...just not in GB....

(and with what's going on...who could blame him..?)

bavpb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
I have a theory that Favre knew that this was TT's MO all along, and that he was going to completely destroy the Packers so that "HE" could rebuild them in "his image"....(Man..what a Messianic Complex....eh?)...

objection : mere surmise!

P@ck66 said:
and Favre's statements about "not having the fire to play"...and "let's see what happens in FA"....are really just ways to get released from his contract at GB....or traded by TT...

I think he still wants to play...just not in GB....

(and with what's going on...who could blame him..?)

objection : again mere surmise!

okay, you said it's a theory and it sure can't be more than that.
No offence!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
I meant what I said, you don't get a top notch free agent, AT ANY POSITION, by waiting 2 or 3 weeks into free agency.
If you can't understand that then you'll never get it.
Signing a bunch of second tier Fa"s. guys nobody else wants, isn't going to get Brett Favre back on the field, and it sure as hell isn't going to help Rogers if he has to play.
I really don't care what the Vikings do, other then the fact that it seems the guys who played for us all of a sudden think playing for Minnesota is better for them and their careers.
There are teams players want to play for and there are teams players don't want to play for, we are quickly becoming the latter, and it sucks!!!!

top notch free agents. Who's that in your book. Jamal Lewis?? Do we really need him? Ederrin James? Do we really need him? Steve Hutchinston? Do we really want to overpay for him? Ander Carter? Are you kidding me??

Ryan Pickett is considered to be one of the better D-line prospects in free agency this year. #9 overall FA according to ESPN. If we get him that's certainly a big signing.

Washington Redskins.. used to spend money left and right. Didn't get them anywhere. Finally just got back to winning ways this past year. Was it 2001 when they spent a record amount of money. Last year Baltimore Ravens. 6-10!!

Now look at the sucesses. Pittsburgh Steelers... Never really went out and made the biggest impact during FA but did through the draft and got the guys that would put them over. Biggest new player for them this past year. Heath Miller!! New England Patroits.. Perfect example.. Biggest guy they got was Corey Dillon. Outside of that they built there team through the draft. Chargers.. Through the Draft and really didn't make much of an impact during free agency the past few years.

Now I'm not saying TT shouldn't spend money but look at our roster and then look at the guys he's going after. Pickett is very similar to Grady Jackson but 7 years younger. He'd be a great signing. Ben Taylor would be a huge upgrade over Robert Thomas. Manuel played very well last year in Seattle and is an upgrade over Mark Roman. He's also younger. Townsend was the starting CB on the Super Bowl Champs. He would compliment Al Harris very nicely at CB.

Now it's one thing to meet with these guys but we got to get them signed. If TT lets them get away then he'll lose my faith. I don't see him letting some of those guys go though. Last years draft looks very promising as well. Better than any of Shermans.. I can't imagine him not signing anyone in FA. By Sunday we'll have some quality upgrades. If not then I'm with you.

Robin Yount

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Pickett's ESPN Insider bio:

Has the upper body strength to maintain separation from defenders and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Takes adequate pursuit angles and shows adequate range. Possesses good athletic ability and is an adequate open field tackler. Flashes the ability to shoot the inside gap and takes the shortest path to the quarterback. Is a powerful bull rusher when plays with good leverage and he flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. However, Pickett hasn't progressed as expected and he doesn't make enough big plays. Appears to wear down when teams consistently run at him, plays too high when gets tired and can get driven back when doesn't play with good leverage. Doesn't always use hands well and takes too long to shed blocks at times.

HitzlikeCecil26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there is a diffrence in sign pro bowlers in there 30's
then sign u and comming talent

The players the skins sign were all over the hill Bruce smith and Deon snaders
come on

the ravens this last year agian signed player that had the carrer years behind them

I would not be opposed of the pack signing player that are in the 4th season who eith have already cracked thier starting line ups or are playing behind talent

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robin Yount said:

Has the upper body strength to maintain separation from defenders and flashes the ability to shed blocks quickly. Takes adequate pursuit angles and shows adequate range. Possesses good athletic ability and is an adequate open field tackler. Flashes the ability to shoot the inside gap and takes the shortest path to the quarterback. Is a powerful bull rusher when plays with good leverage and he flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. However, Pickett hasn't progressed as expected and he doesn't make enough big plays. Appears to wear down when teams consistently run at him, plays too high when gets tired and can get driven back when doesn't play with good leverage. Doesn't always use hands well and takes too long to shed blocks at times.

Sounds pretty "adequate" to me. AND we haven't even signed him yet.

If we can't get "adequate".......we may be in trouble.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Robin Yount said:

Lead the league in tackles amoung the lineman.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
DePack said:
Robin Yount said:

Lead the league in tackles amoung the lineman.

I know. I like the guy. I was referring to the article.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's SO much that can happen between now and the start of the season. We will see how it pans out. And to TRY to pretend we know what TT, or anyone else is thinking, is just making stuff up. Might as well start it with "Once upon a time....."

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the risk of incurring the wrath of many on this board, I must ask:

Why is it so friggin important to pursue FAs with the single minded intention of luring Brett Favre back for one more year when we will have no shot at doing anything special?

"Oh, Brett...oh, Brett...give us one more year, Brett. We love you Brett...you are the Packers, Brett!! Come and let us kiss your ***, Brett!"

What ********! He is but one player on a roster of players. A very important player, no doubt, but come on.

To me, he is one of the five greatest Packers EVER, along with Don Hutson, Ray Ray, Bart Starr and Bucky Scribner (gotcha). He is one of my favorite players EVER...and he deserves EVERY accolade afforded him for his wonderful career. But some of you people are freaking out like your kid is dying and you are losing your home.

The bottom line is all things must come to an end, and his end appears to be nearing. If he wants to play, open arms, man...I would scream from the rooftops if he decided to return for a year or two. But the reality is, we should not in any way hamper our future to lure him back for one year of no consequence.

I fully understand the weight that life's circumstances have burdened him with the last several years. **** like that wears you out mentally and physically...and if that is the reason he walks away, or he just decides he has had enough, fine. But frankly, I find it kind of weak to walk away simply because your team may not be competitive.

He has had the luxury of never being on a really bad team...something that almost every player will in their career. Yes, it is bad timing for your team to suddenly suck in your last couple years, but to walk away for that reason ALONE is ********. It will not change his standing in my eyes, but I think it is a weak way to walk away from the game.

Let your **** and vinegar pour!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
At the risk of incurring the wrath of many on this board, I must ask:

Why is it so friggin important to pursue FAs with the single minded intention of luring Brett Favre back for one more year when we will have no shot at doing anything special?

"Oh, Brett...oh, Brett...give us one more year, Brett. We love you Brett...you are the Packers, Brett!! Come and let us kiss your ***, Brett!"

What b.s.! He is but one player on a roster of players. A very important player, no doubt, but come on.

To me, he is one of the five greatest Packers EVER, along with Don Hutson, Ray Ray, Bart Starr and Bucky Scribner (gotcha). He is one of my favorite players EVER...and he deserves EVERY accolade afforded him for his wonderful career. But some of you people are freaking out like your kid is dying and you are losing your home.

The bottom line is all things must come to an end, and his end appears to be nearing. If he wants to play, open arms, man...I would scream from the rooftops if he decided to return for a year or two. But the reality is, we should not in any way hamper our future to lure him back for one year of no consequence.

I fully understand the weight that life's circumstances have burdened him with the last several years. **** like that wears you out mentally and physically...and if that is the reason he walks away, or he just decides he has had enough, fine. But frankly, I find it kind of weak to walk away simply because your team may not be competitive.

He has had the luxury of never being on a really bad team...something that almost every player will in their career. Yes, it is bad timing for your team to suddenly suck in your last couple years, but to walk away for that reason ALONE is b.s.. It will not change his standing in my eyes, but I think it is a weak way to walk away from the game.

Let your **** and vinegar pour!!

O.K. I'll bite. At the risk of sounding like a moe (although it would be hard to sound more like a moe than someone calling a grown ma Ray Ray :D ) getting Brett to come back for another year or two SHOULD be our top priority. It gives us the best chance to win. Every move you make is a risk. Putting Brett behind center is not. Ignoring Brett and "rebuilding" means what? You could be rebuilding for decades.

There will never be another Brett Favre. Another year of watching him throw picks is better than watching someone like Rodgers "learn the game". digs....you know you're my brother but that "oh Brett...Oh Brett..." BS you typed is as disrespectful as it gets toward Brett and all Brett fans.

Let's be honest for a second. It may not matter to Brett but it matters to most Packer fans. We want Brett to break Marino's TD pass mark which he will probably do next season. I hope he stays long enough to break every record that exists. Something tells me that you are resigned to the fact that we are going to suffer for the next decade or two. I'm not. Bring Brett back and let's win another Lombardi trophy.

One last question. I understand the lack of respect for Brett from the gen'xer's on this board but you are a long time fan. Please answer this one question......What has TT done for this franchise to garner more respect than Brett Favre? I will never understand it. I'm not knocking TT, I'm rooting for him, but you and others go to extremes to praise and protect him. Then in the next breath you totally disrespect the GREATEST player to ever wear the G.

Members online

Latest posts