Day 3 going...more Big names going...and TT sitting

PackwillBEback

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks Ted you jerk. Why don't you just set the 30 million dollars in the middle of a street....

Don't spend to spend, but improve the team. Keeping Kampman is good, but he was on the team last year, so that improves nothing. Oh and Manuel, OH YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOO He has 0 interceptions in the regular season in 5 years, one in the post season for a TD that is it. He has like 5 passes defended. And averages about 3 tackles a game last year, man we are on our way to SB LI.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i heard we're close on Ryan Pickett, no final word yet...if he comes to GB, this perspective changes...I have hope for TT, granted its that "you'd better..." stern-faced hope, but its hope nonetheless

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ja,ja,ja,ja, I was on TT´s side but now.,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I think we´d better get used to the 70´s and 80´s UNLESS we find a Favre, White, Hutson and Nitschke, etc for the vets minimum and BEGGIN TO COME TO GB !!!!

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good God!

I'd rather do what Thompson is doing than what the Vikings are doing and wasting all their money early and severely over-paying players.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
uwbadger12000 said:
Good God!

I'd rather do what Thompson is doing than what the Vikings are doing and wasting all their money early and severely over-paying players.

:agree: you're in the minority with that though.

Reaction score
Well I agree that I don't want TT to go out to get over the hill players, but the Vikes are at least spending. You have to be willing to spend to get the best players.

Look at Washington, they have done an EXCELLENT job this offseason while having less than half the room of the Packers. I hope TT can come back to go and get the players that will make Brett come back, but I must admit I am starting to worry now.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I hear TT is considering signing George Blanda to replace Longwell because he heard that he could probably get him "on the cheap"....!

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Well I agree that I don't want TT to go out to get over the hill players, but the Vikes are at least spending. You have to be willing to spend to get the best players.

Look at Washington, they have done an EXCELLENT job this offseason while having less than half the room of the Packers. I hope TT can come back to go and get the players that will make Brett come back, but I must admit I am starting to worry now.

Yeah, you're saying that this season. They're going for the short term. Why? The Redskins are an older team and if they're gonna win a superbowl, it's gotta be soon... So in a few years, their cap situation is gonna be horrible.

I'm also in with the minority in that I realize that signing a marquee name or two is not going to get our team to the Superbowl.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fellows: do you really believe that any one is advocating getting over the hill players? Will Witherspoon is 25 years old and better than any LB GB has seen in many years.

Ma'ake Kemoeatu is 26 years old and a far better player than Grady Jackson, yet Ted Thompson did not even bring either in for talks.

How is questioning that advocating for signing overprice, over-the-hill guys?

I understand the CAP, its management, and its pitfalls as well as anyone. I am not for reckless signings -- never have been -- but Ted's track record leaves an awful lot to be desired. Further, some of you act like he has experience as a GM -- he does not. He was never Seattle's GM. He is a decent to good college evaluator. He is getting out hustled by other GM's and is acquiring a poor reputation among players, scouts and coaches around the league. That is not something I want to see happen. I want him and the Packers to succeed. I am not like all of the irrational Sherman bashers, who delight in Thompson's foibles and missteps, but I am also not a blind follower.

You have seen me argue against Arrington. I am not for wasting money and want serious evaluation, but not having scouts prepared to evaluate FA after free agency not only puts the team at a competitive disadvantage -- it creates a perception of GB being a mess that players should avoid.

I argued against signing Bruce -- despite the fact that he was a GREAT football player, but absolutely on the downside of his career and costing too much for what he was asking.

I have said that Grady Jackson has eaten and deluded himself out of a job, but pointed to several NT that would be upgrades.

How has Ted Thompson earned the right to be such a sacred cow that no one has the right to question or challenge his decisions -- or lack thereof?

I played this game, I coached this game and I still love this game. I think I have the experience and put enough facts and figures and effort into formulating and writing my opinions and evaluations to have earned more respect than to be insulted for having the audacity to question a first time GM's moves.

I welcome differing opinions, but at least but some rational into their formulation before you start accusing me of ...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Bruce said...

"I am not like all of the irrational Sherman bashers, who delight in Thompson's foibles and missteps, but I am also not a blind follower..."

Hey...Bruce...

I consider myself a "RATIONAL" Sherman basher...thank you....

I hope you didn't mean me...with that off-handed comment.....

(Also...Why are you on Grady's case....?? He performed well last year....and without him...the Pack were worse against the run....He's still an asset...in my book....)

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Bruce said...

"I am not like all of the irrational Sherman bashers, who delight in Thompson's foibles and missteps, but I am also not a blind follower..."

Hey...Bruce...

I consider myself a "RATIONAL" Sherman basher...thank you....

I hope you didn't mean me...with that off-handed comment.....

(Also...Why are you on Grady's case....?? He performed well last year....and without him...the Pack were worse against the run....He's still an asset...in my book....)

I would keep Grady and rotate him with Cole -- who actually performed at least as well, if he would wake up and realize that no one is going to offer him the blockbuster multi-year contract that he thinks he deserves.

Grady is a great sometimes player, sadly some of those times he takes off are while he is still on the field. But rotated and used to his strengthes I would keep him, but at nowhere near what he thinks he deserves.

Hell Old Man Sam (Adams) would be a HUGE upgrade over Jackson. Grady seems to forget how many bridges he has burned through the years. If the man ever got in shape and put in real effort he could be unbelieveably great -- but I am afraid he may have let that train leave the station already.

You seem to have regained some of your senses since Sherman was let go, so NO it was not a shot at you.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett was the 9th rated player in FA according to ESPN. Whether your that high on him or not he's a solid FA and would be a big signing. Kampman was 6th I believe. That's pretty solid.

Taylor would be a perfect fit for our defense and an imediate upgrade over Robert Thomas.

All these guys signing elsewhere are way past their prime.

TT isn't looking to build a team through Free agency. He's looking to model the Packers after the Chargers. The Chargers built thier team mainly through the draft. That's what TT wants to do.

I would be pissed at TT if he went out and got Jamal Lewis who we don't need. Steve Hutchinston would of been nice but why overpay for him like the Vikings are doing. They did it with Chester Taylor and Ryan Longwell as well.

The one guy I wish we got signed was Will Witherspoon outside of him there isn't anyone to big. Didn't have any ammo to get Brandon Lloyd. We only have 5 picks. Antaun Randel El maybe but Washington overpayed for him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still think we should get a CB or 2, and if we dont, I will be mad. I have no faith in young CBs(thanks carroll).

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
I still think we should get a CB or 2, and if we dont, I will be mad. I have no faith in young CBs(thanks carroll).

Yeah I definatly agree. I think Ahmad Plummer is out there and would compliment Al Harris nicely.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive heard deshea Townsend(spelling...not right im sure) from a couple places. i hope thats true.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Ive heard deshea Townsend(spelling...not right im sure) from a couple places. i hope thats true.

He would be an upgrade over Carroll as well. Carroll in my opinion is nothing more than a nickel or dime back in the NFL. Sherman taking him over Gamble is a prime example of why Sherman wasn't a good GM.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT seems in upgrade mode.

Manuel is better than roman (not saying much)
Ben Taylor would be better than Robert Thomas\Paris Lenon(once again..)
Getting the young WR is more cuz we need WRs now cuz of injuries\doucheness(javon)(did i just make up a word)

Ryan Pickett ..im not sure if hes better than Grady, but would be a good replacement, id think.

Viniateri(spelling is wrong im sure) is a definite upgrade over longwell, lets hope we get him, as well as a Deshea Townsend, who is better than carroll.

you dont need to break the bank to get better, and IM sure the 30 mil will be spent well. If not, ill jump on the 'lets kill ted thompson' bandwagon, but you MUST wait for free agency to be finished before you cut his head off.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah, April 30th is Teds court date with the packerforum people.

Will Ted be guilty of Ruining the Packers? Or will he be judged as innocent of any crimes, and recieve a pat on the back for an offseason job well done.

We'll have to wait and see.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Last I looked only Manual and Harry have been signed, there is no upgrade if there is no signing, woulda should coulda doesn't count.

Nobody wants to as you say "kill Ted Thompson" I don't speak for anyone else, but I just want to see the guy bring in at least one top notch free agent that will make Brett think twice about retiring.

You don't get a guy like that by waiting two or three weeks into free agency.

Oh, and I would also like to see TT treat our veteran players with a little more respect, deals could be worked out with most if he would just try.

I'm tired of watching The Vikings get better by signing our players.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
yeah, April 30th is Teds court date with the packerforum people.

Will Ted be guilty of Ruining the Packers? Or will he be judged as innocent of any crimes, and recieve a pat on the back for an offseason job well done.

We'll have to wait and see.

Wold 91, SB in 96
Thompson 04, SB in ??

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
You don't get a guy like that by waiting two or three weeks into free agency.

I disagree. The depth in free agency is great(usually is). Especially in our needs (Lb,CB,wr) not many good guards at all, and the vikings set a record for the richest offersheet to a guard ever. do you want ted to be a record setter? is that it?

Members online

Latest posts