Day 2: Gute Makes Pledge to Run Now Despite Love in 1st...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mims, Higgins and Pittman are all still sitting there. Gute ignored the present and drafted their succession plan for the future at QB....BUT that doesn't mean he couldn't slam the gas pedal down and make push for Aaron's last SB run.

With compensatory picks coming given Bulaga, Fackrell and Martinez all getting big money for themselves relatively in 2021....we have draft equity from next year I'd argue we should use.

If it was released that Green Bay even uses their 2021 First Round Pick (most likely worst case a mid 20s) to move up and nab the WR of their choice today and still pick at 62 and 94.....oh my word folks this draft could arguably be the future and the present all rolled into one.

Or to lesser degree we could see a 2021 2nd rounder used to get us back up into the 3rd twice today. Either way honestly if GB leaves this draft with the hopeful QB of the future and fills a WR all the while maybe adding bonafide OT, DL, ILB or CBs before Day 3 of 2020 and it only costs us our Day 1 or half of our Day 2 next year THAT IS A STINKING WIN SLICED ANY DIRECTION YOU WANT.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mims, Higgins and Pittman are all still sitting there. Gute ignored the present and drafted their succession plan for the future at QB....BUT that doesn't mean he couldn't slam the gas pedal down and make push for Aaron's last SB run.

With compensatory picks coming given Bulaga, Fackrell and Martinez all getting big money for themselves relatively in 2021....we have draft equity from next year I'd argue we should use.

If it was released that Green Bay even uses their 2021 First Round Pick (most likely worst case a mid 20s) to move up and nab the WR of their choice today and still pick at 62 and 94.....oh my word folks this draft could arguably be the future and the present all rolled into one.

Or to lesser degree we could see a 2021 2nd rounder used to get us back up into the 3rd twice today. Either way honestly if GB leaves this draft with the hopeful QB of the future and fills a WR all the while maybe adding bonafide OT, DL, ILB or CBs before Day 3 of 2020 and it only costs us our Day 1 or half of our Day 2 next year THAT IS A STINKING WIN SLICED ANY DIRECTION YOU WANT.
Good perspective. Some people will hate the Love pick. Some will “love” the Love pick. Most of us will likely react as we did in 2005 when Rodgers was selected - Huh? WTF!

I have to look forward and ignore that nagging voice that says we could have had ILB Queen with the same pick. That’s a false equivalent though, because one pick is for the long term, one for the short term. I also can’t help thinking that the Packers were one game away from the SB after a 14-4 season and just needed a few pieces, notably WR, OT, and ILB - and that a seemingly great ILB prospect will go elsewhere.

Truth is, we just don’t know if this was a good move or not. I know I didn’t like the Rodgers pick in 2005. He struck me as kind of a gangly player with weak throwing mechanics (remember how he held the ball high, right next to his ear when he played at Cal?). So how wrong was that? Way wrong.

So we’ll wait and see. Ty I like your dream outcome, that we address the future and the now in one draft. That could happen. I’d argue that GB under Wolf, TT, and Gluten have done better in later rounds anyway.

So time to take a deep breath, and if anything, salute Gluten for his guts in making this pick. He’ll end up a saint or a martyr. Time, as always, will tell.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good perspective. Some people will hate the Love pick. Some will “love” the Love pick. Most of us will likely react as we did in 2005 when Rodgers was selected - Huh? WTF!

I have to look forward and ignore that nagging voice that says we could have had ILB Queen with the same pick. That’s a false equivalent though, because one pick is for the long term, one for the short term. I also can’t help thinking that the Packers were one game away from the SB after a 14-4 season and just needed a few pieces, notably WR, OT, and ILB - and that a seemingly great ILB prospect will go elsewhere.

Truth is, we just don’t know if this was a good move or not. I know I didn’t like the Rodgers pick in 2005. He struck me as kind of a gangly player with weak throwing mechanics (remember how he held the ball high, right next to his ear when he played at Cal?). So how wrong was that? Way wrong.

So we’ll wait and see. Ty I like your dream outcome, that we address the future and the now in one draft. That could happen. I’d argue that GB under Wolf, TT, and Gluten have done better in later rounds anyway.

So time to take a deep breath, and if anything, salute Gluten for his guts in making this pick. He’ll end up a saint or a martyr. Time, as always, will tell.

I'd also argue that TT would never think of what I outlined, attacking both now and future in this manner....I sense Gute 100% would. If he has Mims or Pittman with a first round grade use next years one now and don't blink.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd also argue that TT would never think of what I outlined, attacking both now and future in this manner....I sense Gute 100% would. If he has Mims or Pittman with a first round grade use next years one now and don't blink.
I like Higgins, and think he would “only” cost a 2nd round pick. Same for Mims or Pittman. Totally worth it IMO.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If they trade their 1st next year for a 2nd round pick I'm seriously going to be pissed

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they trade their 1st next year for a 2nd round pick I'm seriously going to be pissed

I am in agreeance now with Pittman and Higgins gone. Both were WELL worth a 1st and I don't care what year.

Now I'm hoping Claypool, Van Jefferson, Bryan Edwards or 4th choice Hamler

Members online

Latest posts