David Martin on verge of breakout season?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucky Brooks of SI has an article on their web site about ten young players who he feels are on the verge of breakout seasons. Nope, there are no Packers on the list, but I thought it was a little bizarre to see this former Packer:

DAVID MARTIN, TE, MIAMI
Signed by the Dolphins in the offseason, Martin will be a major part of Cam Cameron's rebuilt offense. Possessing the speed and quickness of a receiver, Martin gives them a bona fide threat down the middle. And while he has never caught more than 27 passes in a season, he has all of the tools to play the role of Antonio Gates (Cameron's tight end in San Diego) in the Dolphins' new offense. Moreover, new Miami QB Trent Green is used to throwing to a tight end after playing with Tony Gonzalez in Kansas City. It would not be a surprise to see Martin double his career high next season.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/12/break.outs/index.html

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you keep predicting it, I guess you'll have a chance at being right eventually, but I think that guy needs to do his homework (I was going to be harsher, but I can't be mean to a guy named Bucky). David Martin is twice as likely to get hurt in game 2 as he is to catch 50 balls. He's had that potential his whole career, but he's never been able to get it done before and there's no reason to think he'll be able to get it done now.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The best thing that could happen to us is for him to have a great year. That will get us betetr picks in next years draft as compensation for losses in free agency.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Martin? Sure the name of the player isn't Ruvell Martin on verge of a breakout season for the Packers.. David Martin a 6th round draft choice in 2001 who has been on verge of "whatever" for five years and it never happened.. No one can accuse the Packers being impatient (five years)about the development of David Martin.

If it ever happens this year that Martin has a break out year at Miami , I suppose we will see posts by a few of these packerforum fans critizing Packer GM Ted Thompson for not extending Free agent David Martin's contract for another few years of Martin's potential.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
I will go on record... I for one am glad that TT let David Martin walk... don't care if he makes the Pro Bowl.... he won't stay healthy long...

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Martin? Sure the name of the player isn't Ruvell Martin on verge of a breakout season for the Packers.. David Martin a 6th round draft choice in 2001 who has been on verge of "whatever" for five years and it never happened.. No one can accuse the Packers being impatient (five years)about the development of David Martin.

If it ever happens this year that Martin has a break out year at Miami , I suppose we will see posts by a few of these packerforum fans critizing Packer GM Ted Thompson for not extending Free agent David Martin's contract for another few years of Martin's potential.
I got all messed up! LOL! I forgot the guy is already gone! Geez....i'm getting old! :rotflmao:
Anyway.........i won't complain no matter what he does. He had his chance here, and did nothing with it. So i don't care if he does good or bad.

PackFaninBucLand

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My dig on Martin is that, for all his speed, he doesn't read the ball in the air well - in other words he really doesn't have good hand/eye coordination. I've seen him several times turn the wrong way on a ball and I've seen good balls go right through his arms because his timing was poor.

I wish him well, though. I do think that a lot of players in Green Bay(and elsewhere) take other less attractive deals than the Pack offers because they hear the criticism and think they're unappreciated by the fans and local media. Longwell, Sharper, and others might also be examples.

We all know Packer fans are knowledgeable :)

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why should I give a damn about a guy who collected money from the Packers for five yrs. and did next to nothing to earn his money? He's a non-entity to me. Maybe though, someone will start a pool re how many games/practices he completes before having to sit out again. I won't join it though.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Mart is my still my boy! Looking forward to seeing him tear it up against the Giants in London :D

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tyrone Davis on verge of breakout season!

Martin learned from his mentor Tyrone how to just escape accountability. He learned how to be slightly injured have the time and have an okay game once out of every 3 or 4. Je learned enough to just keep from getting cut.

He has been on the verge of a "breakout" (breakout of the training room) season for 5 years!!

Remember the Bud Light commercial where the training room was filled with players having an appendage in ice when the coach walks in and when the coach leaves they all pull a Bud Light out of the ice? That was David Martin.

Perhaps he enjoyed the massages from the trainer.
His breakout season, if it ever occurs, will happen when:

A) He learns to catch a ball.
B) He learns to block.
C) He decides to be a full time player.

One of Teds early mistakes was signing David Martin to a 2 year contract.

Some day the Packers will have better TE's. I glad that other priorities have been taken care of so that this position is in the early stages of being addressed.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PS(not BS)

I hope Martin has his breakout season and does wonderfully.
A compensatory pick for a nothing player would be far better than Dave "jaccuzzi wave" Martin.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree it might have been a mistake for Ted to sign him to a 2 year deal, but really, what choice did he have? We had NO other TE that would step up and do the job.
Hopefully that will change now.