David Martin Is Now The Back Up Full Back.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David Martin has successfully learned yet another position as an NFL player.

A wide receiver at Tennessee six years ago, Martin made the switch to tight end immediately when the Packers drafted him in the sixth round in 2001.

He's been a backup tight end ever since, and now he's added backup fullback to his duties as well.

With the expected return of William Henderson from injury this week and the release of Vonta Leach, Martin will be the No. 2 option at fullback to go along with his tight end responsibilities.

It's been an interesting and ongoing transition from a 220-pound receiver out of college to a 265-pound multi-position player in the pros. But the extra weight, and work, is fine with him, so long as it helps get him on the field.

"You want to be as versatile to your team and give them as much as you can, and that's what I'm trying to do," Martin said.

With Henderson out last week against Chicago, Martin took a handful of snaps at fullback as Leach's backup. The coaching staff worked backup tight ends Martin and Tory Humphrey at fullback at times during training camp, with the idea they could be used as blockers or pass-catchers in that role.

"We really triple-train the tight ends," Head Coach Mike McCarthy said. "We train them on the line, off the line and in the backfield. It's a smart way to go.

"Unfortunately, injuries are a part of our game, and it gives us flexibility in game-planning. It really keeps us on track to being a one-back or two-back offense. David is a very flexible, valuable player in our scheme."

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't even notice Martin playing fullback against the Bears, except on one or two plays, and that's probably a good thing (for Martin, not for me). Sherman always praised his blocking, and he does seem to be a solid blocker, so maybe he's better off at fullback. As a receiver, he always seems to be a day late and a dollar short. Either he's a little out of sync with the QB so the throw is a bit off target or he just drops the pass outright--something always seems to happen to keep him from making a big play.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man I feel sorry for MM. He proposes to have a "run-oriented" offense and then gets told by his GM "Hey, just wanted to let you know that I'm going to wait until after the season starts to get rid of our most productive RB from last year and our best blocking & only healthy FB. But don't worry, I'm keeping a worthless TE that can maybe play FB for you. Good luck!!"

Sounds like a recipe for success to me. :-?

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is funny though.
MM-"Well Ted I want to run,run,run. I'll need a decent OL, I'm going to bring in Jag and zone-blocking, and maybe some good RB's and FB's".

TT-"No problem, MM. We have 5 RB's currently and 2 FB's. Our OL was primarily built up of Big Stout guys that can run a little bit to counter block but we'll address this in the draft".

flash fwd 16 weeks

MM-"Uh....Teddie...ummmm I see we're down to 6 total linemen and the 5 original RB's are down to 3 and we still have 2 FB left. 'sup boss?"

TT-"Well, we will move some TE's in as FB since I traded the good blocking 1 for a WR and trade one of the 3 RB's left, who went through all of the OTA's and TC. We'll trade for a smaller RB. Oh, and the RB we'll trade is not the one that drops PR's. It will be the Packer People kid. Will that work for you?"

MM-"I...uh...well...suppose that will be fine. Thank you for believing in me and giving me a chance to succeed as my first chance as a HC."

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
jdlax said:
I'm all for any scenario that has David Martin actually doing something.
My thoughts exactly. Now we get to watch him suck at playing a 3rd position.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking they should develop Gado into a full-back. I guess it's too late for that now. :(

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every time a ball bounces off his hands the excuse is that he is a good blocker.

Everytime he misses a block we hear how he was a receiver in college and is a better receiver than blocker.

I hope whatever happens it gets Donald Lee more playing time.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"David Martin has successfully learned ANOTHER position in football???" What a DUMB statement, IMO. He's a loser at TE (any argument there?) Now they're trying him at FB. WHY? He doesn't block worth a damn and he drops most passes. It more likely that they're desperately trying to find a spot where he CAN contribute. He's been a waste of Lambeau oxygen for years now.

figtab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP A 6-4 265 FULLBACK??? haha guess what guys we got the tallest FB in the league :p :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts