david carr

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
with the big falcons trade today could this poss leave green bay to trade Rodgers to som1 else (raiders) and poss get david carr i would prefer carr to Rodgers
:feedback:

Ty mort

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
A career 60 percent completion rate behind an offensive line that was in shambles from day one of the franchise. Carr is a better QB than most give him credit for. Put him on a team that can block and give him a little time... smart kid.

PackerGeek

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone else think it might be hard to break him from some of the bad habits he learned trying to work with such a terrible line for so long. Sometimes it looked like he was too anxious to go through his progressions instead of settling down in the pocket and letting things develop.

OP
OP
M

Mortfini

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i former no1 draft pick and apart from a Great Wr in Andre Johnson a really bad WR core but at least hes had more exp in the nfl then Rodgers he could be a great additon

Pack93z

Reaction score
Does anyone else think it might be hard to break him from some of the bad habits he learned trying to work with such a terrible line for so long. Sometimes it looked like he was too anxious to go through his progressions instead of settling down in the pocket and letting things develop.

See I think it is the other way around, he held the ball too long and took a ton of sacks and got beat up. He is not afraid to stand in the pocket in my opinion. Also.. he completed like 68 % of his passes last year.

Pack93z

Reaction score
an unproven tedford QB for another unproven tedford QB?

Tedford never coached Carr... not being a smart arsh... sorry OregonPackFan.

After retiring as a player, Tedford became a volunteer assistant coach at Fresno State (1987-1988). He then coached the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL (1989-1991); returned to Fresno State as quarterback coach (1992-1997); and worked as offensive coordinator at the University of Oregon (1998-2001).

David Carr was one of the most successful athletes ever to play for Fresno State. He was the starting quarterback during the 2000 and 2001 seasons after redshirting in 1999. Under his leadership, the Bulldogs went 7-5 and 11-3. In his senior season the team beat Colorado, Oregon State, and Wisconsin, all members of BCS conferences. There was speculation about whether the Bulldogs would qualify for a BCS bid, something unprecedented for a 'Mid Major' conference team. During his collegiate career Carr completed 587 of 934 passes for 7,849 yards. He threw 70 touchdowns versus 23 interceptions. Carr collected many honors and awards during his final college season, most notably the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Carr can be a solid QB playing with a good team. I wouldn't mind him being brought in to compete with Rodgers for the backup spot. However he would have to come cheap. Like for a late round draft pick.

I also think it's possible that the Raiders land David Carr and then draft Calvin Johnson #1 overall. Making it more likely they trade or cut Randy Moss. Just throwing that theory out there. I remember hearing Oakland liked David Carr. I'm not sure where nor can I remember I just remember hearing that. :)

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OregonPackFan said:
an unproven tedford QB for another unproven tedford QB?

Tedford never coached Carr... not being a smart arsh... sorry OregonPackFan.

After retiring as a player, Tedford became a volunteer assistant coach at Fresno State (1987-1988). He then coached the Calgary Stampeders in the CFL (1989-1991); returned to Fresno State as quarterback coach (1992-1997); and worked as offensive coordinator at the University of Oregon (1998-2001).

David Carr was one of the most successful athletes ever to play for Fresno State. He was the starting quarterback during the 2000 and 2001 seasons after redshirting in 1999. Under his leadership, the Bulldogs went 7-5 and 11-3. In his senior season the team beat Colorado, Oregon State, and Wisconsin, all members of BCS conferences. There was speculation about whether the Bulldogs would qualify for a BCS bid, something unprecedented for a 'Mid Major' conference team. During his collegiate career Carr completed 587 of 934 passes for 7,849 yards. He threw 70 touchdowns versus 23 interceptions. Carr collected many honors and awards during his final college season, most notably the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.

Forgive me for quoting Carr on this issue

Comparisons to Joey Harrington
09/16/04

We were coached by the same guy for a couple of years - Jeff Tedford, obviously. That's the first thing that comes to mind because I still spend some time with him and obviously Joey does. Other than that, we're both from the west coast. We played on some good teams in college. It is kind of impressive that we are both from the west coast and came out one and three. That's pretty good. We're both still with a young team trying to go do some good things. It's kind of exciting. I spent some time with Joey this summer at a little golf tournament out in California honoring one of my good friends and his, Trent Dilfer. Jeff Tedford was out there. We all got to hang out.

http://www.nflplayers.com/players/player.aspx?id=32977&section=journal
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=354768

Under his tutelage, such quarterbacks as Trent Dilfer, Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, David Carr, Kyle Boller and Aaron Rodgers blossomed into first-round NFL draft picks.

http://calbears.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tedford_jeff00.html

He talked to Melody, to his family. He prayed. He was going to transfer, maybe to Oregon, where Jeff Tedford, his former coordinator, was coaching. "Wouldn't that have been something," Carr says. "I would have been competing with Joey Harrington."

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-84546185.html

It's a theory that has gained popularity this NFL season as three Tedford-trained starters, the Detroit Lions' Joey Harrington, the Houston Texans' David Carr and the Baltimore Ravens' Kyle Boller, have struggled for franchises that may be running out of patience.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/michael_silver/10/07/silver-tedford/index.html

I believe there is no doubt Carr is a Tedford QB

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Carr can be a solid QB playing with a good team. I wouldn't mind him being brought in to compete with Rodgers for the backup spot. However he would have to come cheap. Like for a late round draft pick.

I also think it's possible that the Raiders land David Carr and then draft Calvin Johnson #1 overall. Making it more likely they trade or cut Randy Moss. Just throwing that theory out there. I remember hearing Oakland liked David Carr. I'm not sure where nor can I remember I just remember hearing that. :)
I think he could be good too, if given a chance with a decent o-line. He can be retaught if he can get comfortable with a line that can give him some time to throw. I would be for bringing him in for a look.
What can it hurt to look?

OregonPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard the Texans were looking for a 4th round pick and in my book Carr isn't worth that when he's most likely to be cut anyway.

Pack93z

Reaction score
I failed to mention that Tedford recruited Carr to Fresno and coached him there for a year also.

After some research, you are correct, Tedford coached Carr his true freshman year of 1997. Learnt something today:)

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See now, I look at the fact that they were 27th in the league in yards per pass attempt, as an indications that he his dumping off to the Back's more than he's allowing the receivers time to get open. I just can't imagine that quarterback can get sacked that much without it plying with his mind a bit.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamStats?categoryId=67071
I still think he could be retrained, if he was able to not feel like he was gonna get creamed every time he dropped back to pass.

Pack93z

Reaction score
See now, I look at the fact that they were 27th in the league in yards per pass attempt, as an indications that he his dumping off to the Back's more than he's allowing the receivers time to get open. I just can't imagine that quarterback can get sacked that much without it plying with his mind a bit.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamStats?categoryId=67071

only 88 of 329 completions were to RB or FB, or 26%

Members online

Latest posts