David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari had a third surgery on his knee after suffering a "very significant" injury in the single game he played last season.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Where in the world are you pulling this statement from? I can find no article or interview which indicates this?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'm confused ;) Doesn't matter, it's a fact that a player who ends up on either the PUP, NFI list or on injured reserve during the regular season will be allowed to return after four weeks.

No, actually players can't be put on the PUP list at any time. Once a player practices for the first time in camp there's no way for him to be put on that list anymore.

On the other hand, teams can put players on injured reserve at any time. But, if they decide to do that before a player makes the initial 53 they won't be allowed to activate him during the season.
Bakhtiari had a third surgery on his knee after suffering a "very significant" injury in the single game he played last season.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

Any way we cut it this is not good. And I believe you are right.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Bakhtiari is likely done. Degenerative knee, as soon as cartilage is damaged. Bone on bone and that sort of thing. Right now, he is just milking the Packers for as much money as he can.

Reaction score
Yeah, Bakhtiari is likely done. Degenerative knee, as soon as cartilage is damaged. Bone on bone and that sort of thing. Right now, he is just milking the Packers for as much money as he can.
What in the world would be his motive for deceiving everyone? Doesn’t he get paid either way?
Also. If his knee was that bad and he knew he was finished.. why did he just say yesterday it felt normal again? To have them punish it more?

We all say stupid stuff from time to time, I’m probably a forum leader of stupidity as much as the next poster. But Sometimes I judge a post by would the poster have enough conviction to say this stuff to the players face?:coffee:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I read that most, if not all, of Bakhtiari's 2022 $ is guaranteed... Salary, roster bonus, & any workout bonuses.
That’s what I thought. We’re on the hook either way so it doesn’t add up. Although their are players I can think of that do that .. David isn’t one of them.
What’s that TE we signed from Chicago that duped us? Then went to New England and stole money from them? That post fit him perfectly, he was a Shyster

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
That’s what I thought. We’re on the hook either way so it doesn’t add up. Although their are players I can think of that do that .. David isn’t one of them.
What’s that TE we signed from Chicago that duped us? Then went to New England and stole money from them? That post fit him perfectly, he was a Shyster
Benett..but he was in NE the came here?

He was almost traded here from Bears.but went to NE is what I recall

D

Deleted member 6794

Bakhtiari wouldn't lose any money if the Packers move on from him before the start of this season. Therefore there's absolutely no truth to your take at all.

Also. If his knee was that bad and he knew he was finished.. why did he just say yesterday it felt normal again? To have them punish it more?

Once again, I suggest not to put any stock into comments like that.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the Captain, the credibility of the Packers about Bahktiari's injury woes is pretty bad. Nothing they say at this point means much unless Bahktiari is out there in pads in contact drills and playing some downs in the pre season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OldSchool's comment meant exactly that. Bakh covered it well, saying that the pain was gone, and that's what was essential, to move on, and get back on the field. As of yet, not even he knows how well it will hold up, or if he's ever going to reach the level he was, prior to the injury. Too many people tend to read doom and gloom into comments, forgetting that players, and team representatives never give answers that are any more than what they positively have to be, as a response. If they had their way, from a team perspective, there would be a cloak of silence surrounding them.

The fact is, they don't lie to us, they just don't tell us the whole story, or make any guesses on anything. It's just what it is.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember right during the Detroit game he came off the field gingerly. What a disappointing loss for all involved. 2022 will most likely be Nijman Runyan Myers Newman Walker/Rhyan

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think OldSchool's comment meant exactly that. Bakh covered it well, saying that the pain was gone, and that's what was essential, to move on, and get back on the field. As of yet, not even he knows how well it will hold up, or if he's ever going to reach the level he was, prior to the injury. Too many people tend to read doom and gloom into comments, forgetting that players, and team representatives never give answers that are any more than what they positively have to be, as a response. If they had their way, from a team perspective, there would be a cloak of silence surrounding them.

The fact is, they don't lie to us, they just don't tell us the whole story, or make any guesses on anything. It's just what it is.
Good points. Teams will never say more than they have to. In Bakh’s case, what we know isn’t encouraging. Three surgeries and comments that the injury is worse than an ACL tear.

To me, that means he’s seriously damaged either the meniscus or the articular cartilage. That stuff doesn’t grow back and can’t be replaced. It usually means there is bone on bone contact somewhere, and that would explain fluid on the knee.

Now my guess is as good as anyone’s. I hope I’m wrong, I hope he can play. He’s a great LT, great Packer, great guy.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is all there is to it. And it may feel normal now. But you get into hand to hand combat and the knee can not hold up at all.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What in the world would be his motive for deceiving everyone? Doesn’t he get paid either way?

We all say stupid stuff from time to time, I’m probably a forum leader of stupidity as much as the next poster. But Sometimes I judge a post by would the poster have enough conviction to say this stuff to the players face?:coffee:
No motive...I can tell and prob others can tell when he or others are just not being forth coming on injury issues

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh gets paid big the next 2 years whether he plays or not. You think he isn't working his butt off trying to come back?

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakh gets paid big the next 2 years whether he plays or not. You think he isn't working his butt off trying to come back?
Good point! He's working hard for it, hoping for one more contract. I can totally see that. Whether or not it works out, only time will tell. But I believe that he's all in with nothing but the intent of hitting the field and being an All-Pro, like he was. He worked hard to get that title, and will work hard to get it back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point! He's working hard for it, hoping for one more contract. I can totally see that. Whether or not it works out, only time will tell. But I believe that he's all in with nothing but the intent of hitting the field and being an All-Pro, like he was. He worked hard to get that title, and will work hard to get it back.
I agree. Bakh has integrity and wants to be on the field as much or more than we want him to be on the field. I think we'll find out in the next month if he's gonna be ok or if this is the end. I hope it's the former.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling you're right. I've had both knees replaced, both were bone on bone. Yeah I'm a LOT older than Bakh but cartilage can be torn badly at any age for an athlete, especially one who pivots and turns the way tackles do. Although if it was bone on bone, he'd have a noticeable limp. I hope that's not it. But it sounds like the knee keeps filling with fluid. So if that's the case, something is irritated. Draining the knee does no good.

I don't know, we're all guessing. The information we've been given is a smoke screen, or just a passive admission that GB doesn't know what's wrong either.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a feeling you're right. I've had both knees replaced, both were bone on bone. Yeah I'm a LOT older than Bakh but cartilage can be torn badly at any age for an athlete, especially one who pivots and turns the way tackles do. Although if it was bone on bone, he'd have a noticeable limp. I hope that's not it. But it sounds like the knee keeps filling with fluid. So if that's the case, something is irritated. Draining the knee does no good.

I don't know, we're all guessing. The information we've been given is a smoke screen, or just a passive admission that GB doesn't know what's wrong either.
I don't know how many of you remember Ken Ruettgers. One of the best LTs I've seen play for the Packers. He had multiple surgeries back in the early 80s, on both knees, and there was no longer anything but bone to bone contact in his knees. He was still good enough to be a force on the field. He never practiced, just stayed in physically fit condition, and played on Sundays.

It's possible.... just possible, not guaranteed..... that Bakh could end up being another Ruettgers. Only time will tell. The odds of it happening? I'd say less than 50%, but then, that's just a guess on my part. And, by the way, to me, Ken was one of the bravest players I've ever seen. I can only imagine the pain he fought through, to be so good.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how many of you remember Ken Ruettgers. One of the best LTs I've seen play for the Packers. He had multiple surgeries back in the early 80s, on both knees, and there was no longer anything but bone to bone contact in his knees. He was still good enough to be a force on the field. He never practiced, just stayed in physically fit condition, and played on Sundays.

It's possible.... just possible, not guaranteed..... that Bakh could end up being another Ruettgers. Only time will tell. The odds of it happening? I'd say less than 50%, but then, that's just a guess on my part. And, by the way, to me, Ken was one of the bravest players I've ever seen. I can only imagine the pain he fought through, to be so good.
You make a good point. If the muscles that support the knee - mostly quads, hamstrings and hips - are at maximum strength, they will support the knee and keep pain down, even if it's bone on bone. I did this to put off knee replacement for a year, and I'm no football player with the conditioning coaches and facilities they have.

There are ways to strengthen the muscles without putting bone on bone - leg presses, wall squats, quad sets - they all work. If that was all Bakh did, he might be ok playing every Sunday, resting and icing for a day or two, and resuming strengthening exercises.

It would still cut short his career, but it wouldn't end it.

And yes, I remember Ruettgers. A great player and a great Packer.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a good point. If the muscles that support the knee - mostly quads, hamstrings and hips - are at maximum strength, they will support the knee and keep pain down, even if it's bone on bone. I did this to put off knee replacement for a year, and I'm no football player with the conditioning coaches and facilities they have.

There are ways to strengthen the muscles without putting bone on bone - leg presses, wall squats, quad sets - they all work. If that was all Bakh did, he might be ok playing every Sunday, resting and icing for a day or two, and resuming strengthening exercises.

It would still cut short his career, but it wouldn't end it.

And yes, I remember Ruettgers. A great player and a great Packer.
I can only imagine what you went through. It had to be tough. I hope it all worked out with the replacement.

Those of us who have never been put in a situation like that - but you have - need to shut up, and listen to what you say about it, because being one of the people who've been there, you see the results much better than we do.

Your input on this matter is of more importance than mine, or anyone else, who's never traveled that road. Thanks for sharing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can only imagine what you went through. It had to be tough. I hope it all worked out with the replacement.

Those of us who have never been put in a situation like that - but you have - need to shut up, and listen to what you say about it, because being one of the people who've been there, you see the results much better than we do.

Your input on this matter is of more importance than mine, or anyone else, who's never traveled that road. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Voyageur. In my youth I was a marathon runner. That and osteoarthritis led me to bone on bone knees and total knee replacement. That surgery can be a miracle if people do their exercises before and immediately after surgery. But my running days are over, and I can't imagine a pro athlete playing after a TKR. For us commoners though, it's a miracle. One day we can barely walk, and 4 to 6 weeks later there's no pain at all.

My point with Bakh is that if he is bone on bone, well that's a problem. He could maintain his leg strength in support of the knee, but bone on bone leads to almost constant fluid on the knee.

I may be wrong about Bakh. But they've said that 15% of his meniscus was removed. For you and me, no big deal. For a 300 pound plus LT, it's a big deal.

This is like a nightmare. I hope we all wake up and he's fine. Stranger things have happened.

Thanks again for your thoughtful words.

Reaction score
He was almost traded here from Bears.but went to NE is what I recall
He played in GB and then go injured, then called out Dr. McKenzie as having poor judgement. Then got cut and NE picked him up. He played a short while only to fade away forever. That’s how I remember it anyway
No motive...I can tell and prob others can tell when he or others are just not being forth coming on injury issues
Probably. However I think it’s more human nature to tell people mainly the positive stuff. Innately we tend to severely round up our income when we are comparing with others, then severely round it down when the IRS comes a knocking. It’s kinda like that with injuries. Lol
Everybody lies.
I said the same thing. Then I stopped and pondered it. If I say everybody lies and I am a part of the “everybody’”, Doesn’t that mean that it is quite possible that’s a lie too?
I’m going to stick to “just about everybody lies about just about everything”. That covers me perfectly! :coffee:

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts