David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

D

Deleted member 6794

Funny that another poster knew exactly what I was talking about and broke it down that I thought everyone could understand. Maybe he should have typed slower for you?

Here's a well-intentioned advice, you won't last long around here if personal attacks are your preferred way of dealing with another poster having an argument with you.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand. Given the uncertainty over Bakh, I'm surprised they haven't signed a veteran OT for depth. As it stands now, Nijman would be the starter at LT and probably a rookie at RT. Unless they move Newman over and start a rookie at RG. I'm concerned about the running game. If they can't open holes for Dillon and Jones, it will put them behind in down and distance and force Rodgers and his new group of receivers to move the ball. Rodgers helped negate the pass rush by getting the ball out quickly, but will he be able to do that without Adams?

There is definitely a need to bring in a veteran. Bryan Bulaga is still out there, but he may not be physically ready to play. I would expect to see them bring someone in within the next week.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Memorabilia is worth a fortune only because people are willing to spend way too much to own the items. I have freebie things from as far back as 70 years ago, that are priceless, and even discussing today's value with me would make me cringe. Since I have no intention of parting with any of it, and will pass it down in the family. Eventually it will become too valuable to keep for my descendants to keep. I expect they'd sell it all.

Reaction score
Back to the topic at hand. Given the uncertainty over Bakh, I'm surprised they haven't signed a veteran OT for depth. As it stands now, Nijman would be the starter at LT and probably a rookie at RT. Unless they move Newman over and start a rookie at RG. I'm concerned about the running game. If they can't open holes for Dillon and Jones, it will put them behind in down and distance and force Rodgers and his new group of receivers to move the ball. Rodgers helped negate the pass rush by getting the ball out quickly, but will he be able to do that without Adams?

There is definitely a need to bring in a veteran. Bryan Bulaga is still out there, but he may not be physically ready to play. I would expect to see them bring someone in within the next week.
I think that’s very possible. However I’m hoping we don’t do that. Let me explain.

I trust this staff, they have shown what many would consider a solid ability to put us in positions to succeed from a player standpoint. Not going out and getting a veteran would speak to me that we believe we already have what we need. Not to mention there is additional cost involved and I’d much rather hold our cash for a weapon at WR or TE before trade deadline.

That said. I’m pretty sure we have some semblance your backup plan though behind the scenes. (the veteran option FA option). There’s still some good ones out there.

One other point I’d like to put out there that some may not know concerning David. This PUP is Training camp PUP and there is total freedom ti bring him back at a moments notice if he’s deemed good to go. This is NOT regular season PUP. Although there may be some correlation of using TC PUP as far as future designations. If he goes Regular season PUP? I’ll hold everyone’s hand that seemingly wants to jump off that bridge… then I’ll bail last second ! :laugh:

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that’s very possible. However I’m hoping we don’t do that. Let me explain.

I trust this staff, they have shown what many would consider a solid ability to put us in positions to succeed from a player standpoint. Not going out and getting a veteran would speak to me that we believe we already have what we need. Not to mention there is additional cost involved and I’d much rather hold our cash for a weapon at WR or TE before trade deadline.

That said. I’m pretty sure we have some semblance your backup plan though behind the scenes. (the veteran option FA option). There’s still some good ones out there.

One other point I’d like to put out there that some may not know concerning David. This PUP is Training camp PUP and there is total freedom ti bring him back at a moments notice if he’s deemed good to go. This is NOT regular season PUP. Although there may be some correlation of using TC PUP as far as future designations. If he goes Regular season PUP? I’ll hold everyone’s hand that seemingly wants to jump off that bridge… then I’ll bail last second ! :laugh:
I believe the reasoning for putting guys on PUP at this point is to free up spots early on in camp, for guys you might want to look at. Since there's a limit to those you can have under contract at any time, it makes sense. I believe your comment is on the money.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a crazy thought.

Adrian Peterson went from tearing his ACL and MCL on December 24, 2011 to rushing for 2,097 yards in 2012.

I would think if Bakhtiari's knee isn't right by September, it might never be right.
And that is true. There are some tears that can actually do you in for good. This could be one. I a
It's not a crazy thought.

Adrian Peterson went from tearing his ACL and MCL on December 24, 2011 to rushing for 2,097 yards in 2012.

I would think if Bakhtiari's knee isn't right by September, it might never be right.
I also recall Gale Sayers rupturing cartilage and tearing 2 knee ligaments in 1968. In 1969 he rushed for 1032 and was named NFL player of the year. He was toast after that but it was in the days of poor rehab and more invasive surgery.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets stop the implying of what someone may have said.
Tbh I read every word and I dont feel he was implying anything.

So with that said please drop the argument of what rodgers charges

No more here a tissue

No more I know what you implied.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets stop the implying of what someone may have said.
Tbh I read every word and I dont feel he was implying anything.

So with that said please drop the argument of what rodgers charges

No more here a tissue

No more I know what you implied.

Here’s a beer?

D

Deleted member 6794

There is definitely a need to bring in a veteran. Bryan Bulaga is still out there, but he may not be physically ready to play.

Bulaga was able to play in only 11 games in two season for the Chargers after leaving Green Bay. Unfortunately I think he's done.

Not to mention there is additional cost involved and I’d much rather hold our cash for a weapon at WR or TE before trade deadline.

I guess at this point the Packers could sign a veteran for close to the minimum. He might not be a significant upgrade over anyone currently on the roster though.

I believe the reasoning for putting guys on PUP at this point is to free up spots early on in camp, for guys you might want to look at. Since there's a limit to those you can have under contract at any time, it makes sense. I believe your comment is on the money.

Players on the PUP list count against the roster limit during camp.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
captainWIMM

Players on the PUP list count against the roster limit during camp.
------------------------------------------------------------------​

Correct. They do count against the 90 man camp roster, but can be held in reserve when they cut down to 53 men. This gives the Packers the option of carrying them forward to be activated after the season starts. I believe they need to spend a minimum of 4 weeks on PUP after the season starts, but it's less than the 6 weeks, which happens if it's done later.

D

Deleted member 6794

I believe they need to spend a minimum of 4 weeks on PUP after the season starts, but it's less than the 6 weeks, which happens if it's done later.

Teams can't put any players on the PUP list after the start of training camp anymore.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams can't put any players on the PUP list after the start of training camp anymore.
It's the issue of how long into the season they have to go until they can be activated, and keeping them off the 53 man list.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's the issue of how long into the season they have to go until they can be activated, and keeping them off the 53 man list.

No, players need to be put on the PUP list before the start of training camp to be eligible for it during the regular season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, players need to be put on the PUP list before the start of training camp to be eligible for it during the regular season.
I never said that. I said that a player can go through camp on PUP and not be part of the 53 man roster, without having been put on IR, or activated.

Of course they can be put on there at any time. It's a way to stash a player, using his injury as being "non-football oriented," so they don't count as being on IR, and the terms that go with that.

D

Deleted member 6794

I never said that. I said that a player can go through camp on PUP and not be part of the 53 man roster, without having been put on IR, or activated.

At this point I'm confused ;) Doesn't matter, it's a fact that a player who ends up on either the PUP, NFI list or on injured reserve during the regular season will be allowed to return after four weeks.

Of course they can be put on there at any time. It's a way to stash a player, using his injury as being "non-football oriented," so they don't count as being on IR, and the terms that go with that.

No, actually players can't be put on the PUP list at any time. Once a player practices for the first time in camp there's no way for him to be put on that list anymore.

On the other hand, teams can put players on injured reserve at any time. But, if they decide to do that before a player makes the initial 53 they won't be allowed to activate him during the season.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At this point I'm confused ;) Doesn't matter, it's a fact that a player who ends up on either the PUP, NFI list or on injured reserve during the regular season will be allowed to return after four weeks.

No, actually players can't be put on the PUP list at any time. Once a player practices for the first time in camp there's no way for him to be put on that list anymore.

On the other hand, teams can put players on injured reserve at any time. But, if they decide to do that before a player makes the initial 53 they won't be allowed to activate him during the season.
Isn't there a PUP/NFI designation as well? Or, has that changed? The thing about PUP simply means a player can be kept under contract without counting against the 53 man roster, and can be activated as prescribed under the agreement. In a way, it's where you can stash a player until he's ready to start practicing, and becoming a part of the team. Then you have what???? 3 weeks to activate him, or release him?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari had a third surgery on his knee after suffering a "very significant" injury in the single game he played last season.

Stick a fork in him. He's done.

It greatly depends on what the procedure is/was. The ACL itself might be great, but something else didn't heal properly. Or he did rush himself back too early.

This isn't happy news, but nor is cause for doom and gloom.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
without knowing if it's related to the first injury, a 2nd different injury, something missed in the first surgery that worsened during rehab and then required surgery? Who knows there are no details. I hope he's strong enough for the season.

I'm as worried now as I was last year when he couldn't make it back. Concerning because he's great and any body else out there is not as good, but i'm going to watch anyway, so i'm not going to fret too much.

First things first, get his knee strong and healed from whatever it was. He's a good guy and works hard, so when he's ready he'll be out there, I'm pretty confident of that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm as worried now as I was last year when he couldn't make it back.

I guess I wasn't worried last year. At least not about his health. His injury was late enough in the year, I wondered if he'd be on IR the whole year and somewhat surprised we even got those 20 snaps in the Lions game. Initial injury was Dec 31st 2020, Lions game Jan 9th, 2022. So 1 Year, 9 days from injury, and the surgery happened sometime in January 2021.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my level of worry didn't go past the fact that we're better when he's available. I was not one of those that thought he was going to be ready to start the season like some. Those injuries are 12 months + or - 2 so I wasn't expecting him until playoffs at really anyway becuase I figured he'd be on the + side being a big guy.

When MLF said they were holding him out and hoping he'd be ready for TC, that raised my eyebrows a bit though. I thought the "hope he's ready for TC" was an odd choice of words and figured something was up. Turns out there was. We just don't know what other than another surgery.

Reaction score
my level of worry didn't go past the fact that we're better when he's available. I was not one of those that thought he was going to be ready to start the season like some. Those injuries are 12 months + or - 2 so I wasn't expecting him until playoffs at really anyway becuase I figured he'd be on the + side being a big guy.

When MLF said they were holding him out and hoping he'd be ready for TC, that raised my eyebrows a bit though. I thought the "hope he's ready for TC" was an odd choice of words and figured something was up. Turns out there was. We just don't know what other than another surgery.
That’s fair.
It is absolutely true that we can read between the lines when getting responses to questions asked concerning an injury or the like.

I guess we don’t ever have the full box of puzzle pieces, but as time rolls on we do get some puzzle chunks here and there and the puzzle can come into focus better.

These injuries are anyones guess. Personally my guess is in favor 55% of seeing Bakhtiari for the majority of this season. Still a 75% he’s NOT done in GB altogether (career wise). It’s frustrating for us fans, but even at this point, it’s still unlikely he doesn’t get resuscitated to the game as a bonafide starting Tackle. I really still believe he’s just going to take 2 years instead of 1 year. As you said, not all operations go perfectly, those timelines are more an estimate etc..

I’m sure there are success stories of smaller guys returning to sports in 8-9 months. There are likely others that took longer, we don’t hear it as much because most are not nearly as great as David. Teams normally pull a Bulaga and just move on

D

Deleted member 6794

Isn't there a PUP/NFI designation as well? Or, has that changed? The thing about PUP simply means a player can be kept under contract without counting against the 53 man roster, and can be activated as prescribed under the agreement. In a way, it's where you can stash a player until he's ready to start practicing, and becoming a part of the team. Then you have what???? 3 weeks to activate him, or release him?

The PUP (physically unable to perform) and NFI (non-football injury/illness) lists are two different things.

Actually a player being activated from the PUP list doesn't need to be released if he isn't activated after three weeks but reverts back to the reserve list and is out for the remainder of the season.

Bakhtiari had a third surgery on his knee after suffering a "very significant" injury in the single game he played last season.

There's not a single word in the article (and I haven't heard it being mentioned anywhere else) about Bakhtiari suffering an injury in the game vs. the Lions last season.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts