David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonyan has the quicker feet but Bakh has better hands. IMO
I agree Tonyan has quicker feet than Bakh, which I would expect. Relative to other OTs though, Bakh's footwork is amazingly quick.

As for hands, well Tonyan and Bakh use their hands for entirely different purposes. Bakh is using his hands to keep a DT in front of him and away from the QB. Tonyan is mostly catching balls. Bakh keeps his hands open while Tonyan does the opposite to bring in the ball.

It's encouraging video for Bakh. He wouldn't be doing that stuff with a swollen knee.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The video shows him doing what I’d expect so looks good to me. Better than the “we’re holding him out and hopefully he’s ready to go for training camp” statement I read before.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The video shows him doing what I’d expect so looks good to me. Better than the “we’re holding him out and hopefully he’s ready to go for training camp” statement I read before.
I don't remember reading it, but someone posted here that MLF said he was holding Bakh out until TC begins. Sure doesn't look like it.

Well, regardless, I'm glad he's working out. Certainly need him and Jenkins back asap.

Reaction score
I don't remember reading it, but someone posted here that MLF said he was holding Bakh out until TC begins. Sure doesn't look like it.

Well, regardless, I'm glad he's working out. Certainly need him and Jenkins back asap.
I think if we can get Bak in the lineup we will be so much better. Teams can hide at OG a little better than that Blindside OT role. I don’t think that’s some big secret, but especially here in GB, it seems we’ve got a bunch of guys that could play inside without too much concern. LT though is such an important position and the fact we’ve been able to function as well as we have without #69 is commendable.

No Offense to Van Lanen, I’m really not super excited about him playing RT. If have Bak starting game 1, I wonder if they’ll use VL or Nijman at the other Tackle spot. They may still try to save Nijman as a swing tackle for both sides?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It was in one of those threads, because this is where i read it. Anyway, I asked then, if it meant he wasn't doing anything, or if he just wasn't doing team drills. I expect guys like him to be doing individual stuff and OTA's are a good time to do it when all the staff is there to observe and treat and then make adjustments to his program and send him back home for a while. Never really got an answer, but that video answers it, and i'm good with it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was in one of those threads, because this is where i read it. Anyway, I asked then, if it meant he wasn't doing anything, or if he just wasn't doing team drills. I expect guys like him to be doing individual stuff and OTA's are a good time to do it when all the staff is there to observe and treat and then make adjustments to his program and send him back home for a while. Never really got an answer, but that video answers it, and i'm good with it.
Agreed. No reason to take unnecessary chances. OTAs gave him a chance to continue his rehab.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not good that he's still not fully healthy but I don't think it's a bad sign that he's not fully practicing yet. He's got literally nothing to gain, knowledge-wise, from participating in team drills if he's still not 100% healthy. If the Packers want to play it extra safe with him I completely understand it. I'll worry about him if he doesn't play in any of the preseason games.

Reaction score
Agreed. No reason to take unnecessary chances. OTAs gave him a chance to continue his rehab.
That’s about as simple but accurate a summary as I’ve read. If he got injured with a T shirt on?
boy people would be furious.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s about as simple but accurate a summary as I’ve read. If he got injured with a T shirt on?
boy people would be furious.
No kidding. We all better hope Bakh stays healthy this season, and beyond. None of us is getting younger.......

D

Deleted member 6794

But he's played 8 games, so he HAS contributed. I never said a word about performance relative to contract.

You have to consider the contract of a player when talking about production though.

How does that work, salary-wise or bonus-wise for the season Bakh missed? Is that money guaranteed and paid and is one year wiped off the contract? I wouldn't think so and I'm sure these guys have insurance in the case of serious injury. I thought you or someone else might know how that works.

Bakhtiari earned all of his base salary ($1.075 million), roster bonus ($11.072 million, which was converting into a signing bonus to create cap space) last season. He might even have received his workout bonus ($700K) if he was rehabbing in Green Bay during the offseason. He only missed out on his per game roster bonus ($600K) last year aside of the Lions game.

The total length of the contract wasn't effected at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You have to consider the contract of a player when talking about production though.

Bakhtiari earned all of his base salary ($1.075 million), roster bonus ($11.072 million, which was converting into a signing bonus to create cap space) last season. He might even have received his workout bonus ($700K) if he was rehabbing in Green Bay during the offseason. He only missed out on his per game roster bonus ($600K) last year aside of the Lions game.

The total length of the contract wasn't effected at all.
Got it, thanks. Sounds like he got somewhere around $12 mil last year. I think I could get by on that.... I just got my knee replaced and I got, well, never mind. It was a little short of $12 mil. Hey, I just want him back playing.

morango

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm. I could be wrong about this but I think the video LT posted was from a year ago. I remember seeing it then. Plus why would Deguara be rehabbing an ACL? He played most (or all) of season in 2021.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmm. I could be wrong about this but I think the video LT posted was from a year ago. I remember seeing it then. Plus why would Deguara be rehabbing an ACL? He played most (or all) of season in 2021.
Fool me once...... Didn't DeGuarra tear his ACL in his rookie year? I'm not sure.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so i'm right back to where I started with him, if he's not doing anything, that's bad. If he's doing things like he was in that video, i'm just fine with it.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so i'm right back to where I started with him, if he's not doing anything, that's bad. If he's doing things like he was in that video, i'm just fine with it.
I agree. It doesn't look like he's doing anything, or if he is, it's not in front of the press. And we know we won't see him doing anything at mini camp. Well, we gotta wait until TC. Don't mean to be a downer, but this isn't good news IMO.

Reaction score
no no no. You guys are worry warts. How did you make it through Covid???!!! My Lord forgive me

I’m telling you I saw David Bakhtiari, Khylin Hill, Robert Tonyan and Elgton Jenkins several days ago in a step drill going full throttle. I saw him with my own eyes and he looks fine. Khylin Hill and Tonyan and Elgton wouldn’t have been in a rehab group last year

Someone may have posted an old video, but not that group last week I witnessed it I think on the Packers app?? I watch lots of stuff and I’m not going Back to hunt my time is too valuable. I’ve got people to see places to go, kids pull-ups to help change. :poop:
That said he still needs to suit up, by why rush Bak coming back in June? Matt said this was their plan from go, he’s not lying and if someone was that bad they can’t chop through that floor drill at that full speed. Hill did also and so did Big Bob. Elgton did too. I bet then entire group is back before week 8 and I’m being conservative. We all got shell shucked by Z’s week 2 surgery and a setback with David last season and living in pins n needles. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Survived better than most, worrying isn’t my nature and you mistake observation for worry I guess.

There is no rush to get him on the field in June. I’ve said as much multiple times.

Reaction score
Survived better than most, worrying isn’t my nature and you mistake observation for worry I guess.

There is no rush to get him on the field in June. I’ve said as much multiple times.
It’s funny and maybe not you specifically. But you come in here to simply inform people someone is progressing fine to basically say relax. They fight you and go victim on you like it’s their Mom you’re talking about.
It’s a little much. It’s entertainment not a jury deliberating the death penalty.
How do you guys get through tax season? It’s a joke relax

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no no no. You guys are worry warts. How did you make it through Covid???!!! My Lord forgive me

I’m telling you I saw David Bakhtiari, Khylin Hill, Robert Tonyan and Elgton Jenkins several days ago in a step drill going full throttle. I saw him with my own eyes and he looks fine. Khylin Hill and Tonyan and Elgton wouldn’t have been in a rehab group last year

Someone may have posted an old video, but not that group last week I witnessed it I think on the Packers app?? I watch lots of stuff and I’m not going Back to hunt my time is too valuable. I’ve got people to see places to go, kids pull-ups to help change. :poop:
That said he still needs to suit up, by why rush Bak coming back in June? Matt said this was their plan from go, he’s not lying and if someone was that bad they can’t chop through that floor drill at that full speed. Hill did also and so did Big Bob. Elgton did too. I bet then entire group is back before week 8 and I’m being conservative. We all got shell shucked by Z’s week 2 surgery and a setback with David last season and living in pins n needles. Nothing more.
OK Oldschool, I certainly believe what you say. I'm glad to hear all of those guys are doing something (and those step drills are not easy, especially for guys that big). I'm hoping Bakh is ready to go on opening day. As for Tonyan and Jenkins, week 8 would be great. I'm guessing Tonyan may be ready a little earlier.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when something is posted on the internet referring to a situation today, then they show a clip from something a year or two earlier. It's misleading, and actually dishonest, because it's trying to push what could be a false narrative.

We're all susceptible to seeing it, and getting the wrong impression. We don't even realize we've been duped, simply because we thought that at least some source out here had to be telling the truth.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate it when something is posted on the internet referring to a situation today, then they show a clip from something a year or two earlier. It's misleading, and actually dishonest, because it's trying to push what could be a false narrative.

We're all susceptible to seeing it, and getting the wrong impression. We don't even realize we've been duped, simply because we thought that at least some source out here had to be telling the truth.
I'm glad you said this. In the case of Bakhtiari working out NOW, I got pretty jazzed. He's a big part of that OL, the best T in the NFL IMO, and so news about him is BIG.

I don't think the person who posted the old video meant any harm. I think it was a mistake. But we all should be careful when we're citing facts. There are no "alternative facts" - something is true or it isn't.

So I'll take the advice to heart and be careful. Most of the comments here are opinion so it doesn't matter.

FWIW, Cap does about the best job here with the info (facts) he posts. He has good sources and I've never found any fact he posted to be in dispute. That doesn't mean I always agree with his opinion, how he interprets those facts, but that's why we're here, to exchange ideas and opinions.

Anyway thanks Voyageur for an important reminder.

Members online

Latest posts