David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought the soonest he could return was against the chiefs

Bakhtiari would be allowed to play this week vs. Washington. Obviously that's not gonna happen though.

I'd be surprised if that happened. I think continuity is what they need. Keep that run blocking in good order. They looked really good last Sunday. The unit is coming along. Great job again by Stenavich. The coaching has been terrific imo.

Newman struggled in pass protection vs. the Bears though.

Agreed. If Runyan can do it I think that they will slide him over to the RG position. If he can't, don't be surprised if Jenkins goes to RG and Runyan is kept in his same spot with Bahktiari and Patrick providing cushion on either side.

I highly doubt the Packers will move Jenkins to right guard.

Looks like Meyer will be out for awhile. I'm guessing Elgton takes over at center when Bahk is back....

I would prefer the Packers to keep Patrick at center until Myers is able to return and have Jenkins start at left guard.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Bakhtiari would be allowed to play this week vs. Washington. Obviously that's not gonna happen though.

I would prefer the Packers to keep Patrick at center until Myers is able to return and have Jenkins start at left guard.
Yes he did, noticeably getting beat twice that I and probably everyone else saw. I still expect to see him playing right guard this Sunday though.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patrick is doing a great job at center, and he is versatile as well. You have a nice group here - one of the best groups in years barring injuries. Jenkins can play any position and is the gem of the group, Bakh pass blocking is second to none. Runyon is a true Guard, Newman is as well and developing. Myers has been a huge surprise and has bulk in the middle when healthy, and Turner's strength again is above avg pass blocking. This group reminds me of the group they had w Favre back in the mid 90s. Michels Taylor Timmerman Dotson bag o donuts Wilkerson type stuff. Very good depth.
Things change in a heartbeat. For a while, we were all concerned with the inevitable loss of Linsley. Myers is doing well, really great considering he's a rookie, the rest of the starters are doing well, some great players are coming off IR or PUP, and there are more quality guys than starting positions. That's gonna be needed down the stretch cause things are gonna get tougher as far as opponents. And injuries are always around the corner. Go Pack!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It is noteworthy that when everyone (other than Bahk) was healthy, Runyan and Newman were starting while Patrick was on the bench. If Green Bay believes in the 'getting the best five on the field' philosophy, this might be a clue as to what they're thinking.

Time will tell.

Reaction score
It is noteworthy that when everyone (other than Bahk) was healthy, Runyan and Newman were starting while Patrick was on the bench. If Green Bay believes in the 'getting the best five on the field' philosophy, this might be a clue as to what they're thinking.

Time will tell.
That’s certainly possible to follow the initial setup. Although when Bak comes in and there’s a shift, it gives opportunity to make a change with Newman etc.. Patrick has been playing pretty well and could win that RG role (obviously this would not happen unless Meyers heals up first)
I would’ve been reserved saying that in many years, but we have like 4 guys that can play at C and 3 of them have played there recently. For now it looks like Patrick stays at C with new news of Meyers on IR (3 weeks)

Here is to hoping Newman bounces back this week.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep David practicing. Get through 7th or 8th game and then give him a shot. Probably only go about 25 snaps the first game. This was a major injury.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep David practicing. Get through 7th or 8th game and then give him a shot. Probably only go about 25 snaps the first game. This was a major injury.
Yeah as much as I'd love him back out there, better to let that heal and follow Dr's orders (well, there's no choice in that!). It is a serious injury and the surgery is major. We missed him last year in the NFCCG. I'd prefer to have him back fully healthy for the playoffs.

Reaction score
You are right about the fact that he won’t play until they are 100% sure he’s ready. Winning games in the meantime allows them to be extra careful. I agree I’d like to see him play a half first.

Although we must remember that it was at practice he suffered the injury in the first place. So practice isn’t necessarily any safer than live action.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes he did, noticeably getting beat twice that I and probably everyone else saw. I still expect to see him playing right guard this Sunday though.

I fully expect Newman to start at right guard today as well. He might lose his starting gig once the line is healthy again if he doesn't improve over his performance against the Bears.

If everyone on the line is healthy it's all but guaranteed Bakhtiari (LT), Jenkins (LG), Myers (C) and Turner (RT) start with the right guard spot being up for grabs with Newman, Runyan and possibly Patrick competing for it.

Yeah as much as I'd love him back out there, better to let that heal and follow Dr's orders (well, there's no choice in that!). It is a serious injury and the surgery is major. We missed him last year in the NFCCG. I'd prefer to have him back fully healthy for the playoffs.

You need to be aware that with Bakhtiari practicing this week the Packers only have a three week window to put him on the active roster. Otherwise he reverts to injured reserve and won't be available this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The price that is paid for starting two rookies on the offensive line is performance inconsistencies. These young guys need time and experience. The only thing I've been surprised about is how well they've all played over all. Our running game is certainly top 10 in the league imo and Rodgers has generally been able to set up for most of his throws. I did not expect to see that to the degree we've seen through the first half of the season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to be aware that with Bakhtiari practicing this week the Packers only have a three week window to put him on the active roster. Otherwise he reverts to injured reserve and won't be available this season.
Then I would expect them to put him on the active roster whether or not he was ready.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I fully expect Newman to start at right guard today as well. He might lose his starting gig once the line is healthy again if he doesn't improve over his performance against the Bears.

If everyone on the line is healthy it's all but guaranteed Bakhtiari (LT), Jenkins (LG), Myers (C) and Turner (RT) start with the right guard spot being up for grabs with Newman, Runyan and possibly Patrick competing for it.

To your last point, I didn't know about that deadline, thanks for the info. Would be awful to lose him for an entire season, but better than bringing him back too soon and risk losing him for two seasons. That said, IMO he'll play this year. I'm not a Dr. so my opinion represents hope over medical science. Not usually how I work but hey, I'm a Packers' fan. Logic doesn't count. (And of course the Drs still have to clear him to play. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, or more likely, the Packers are mum on the topic.)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
To your last point, I didn't know about that deadline, thanks for the info. Would be awful to lose him for an entire season, but better than bringing him back too soon and risk losing him for two seasons. That said, IMO he'll play this year. I'm not a Dr. so my opinion represents hope over medical science. Not usually how I work but hey, I'm a Packers' fan. Logic doesn't count. (And of course the Drs still have to clear him to play. As far as I know that hasn't happened yet, or more likely, the Packers are mum on the topic.)
Unless he suffers a setback, there is no doubt he will play this year. Originally, there was talk about him being on the 53 man roster in Sept. and not the PUP. The thinking being he was "ahead of schedule" on his rehab. That still would have involved him sitting out several of the earlier games. I think the Packers played it smart, they knew they didn't need to rush him back and used the extra roster spot for another player.

I hope the NFL decides to keep the current IR (Injured Reserve) and PS (Practice Squad) rules in place. I know they were changed in response to dealing with Covid, but I feel it keeps more players involved and gives a team a chance to have much better depth and flexibility every week of a long season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless he suffers a setback, there is no doubt he will play this year. Originally, there was talk about him being on the 53 man roster in Sept. and not the PUP. The thinking being he was "ahead of schedule" on his rehab. That still would have involved him sitting out several of the earlier games. I think the Packers played it smart, they knew they didn't need to rush him back and used the extra roster spot for another player.

I hope the NFL decides to keep the current IR (Injured Reserve) and PS (Practice Squad) rules in place. I know they were changed in response to dealing with Covid, but I feel it keeps more players involved and gives a team a chance to have much better depth and flexibility every week of a long season.
Yeah in a game that can dominate a team with injuries, a little more flexibility in handling those injured players is in order. The current system was developed to address Covid but can certainly be used in other situations. I recall when going to the IR was the kiss of death for that season, sometimes justified, many times not.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So if we activate do it at the last day.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm convinced the Packers will activate Bakhtiari before the deadline, was just pointing out they have to make a decision three weeks after him starting to practice.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again imho.

I don't believe that was the plan but the running game didn't work at all forcing them to rely on the passing game.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm convinced the Packers will activate Bakhtiari before the deadline, was just pointing out they have to make a decision three weeks after him starting to practice.

I don't believe that was the plan but the running game didn't work at all forcing them to rely on the passing game.
We will see several opponents coming up who are tough on the run: Baltimore and LA. David will certainly help.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uncharacteristically, we came out passing and sticking with it. Only running to tell them we might do it and to convince ourselves we could not run well against them. I think that was the game plan. I don't think we were doing much adjusting. I just don't think Patrick is very good at center. Not saying it is all his fault but a better center will help out those younger guys imho. Hence...Jenkins at center and back to Nijman if Bak can't go. I would rather see Jenkins at center until Myers comes back.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uncharacteristically, we came out passing and sticking with it. Only running to tell them we might do it and to convince ourselves we could not run well against them. I think that was the game plan. I don't think we were doing much adjusting. I just don't think Patrick is very good at center. Not saying it is all his fault but a better center will help out those younger guys imho. Hence...Jenkins at center and back to Nijman if Bak can't go. I would rather see Jenkins at center until Myers comes back.
Agreed. Especially if it impacts the running game as much as it did against the WFT. Fortunately GB will win most pure air battles, but Washington ran well and the score should not have been that close. The ultimate success of MLF's approach is a 50/50 run/pass ratio. or close to it. Need a healthy line for that.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Especially if it impacts the running game as much as it did against the WFT. Fortunately GB will win most pure air battles, but Washington ran well and the score should not have been that close. The ultimate success of MLF's approach is a 50/50 run/pass ratio. or close to it. Need a healthy line for that.
And imo, they ran so well because Barry did not play Barnes much. He wants to play chess and should be playing more checkers imho. We look good with the Campbell and Barnes in at the same time.

Members online

Latest posts