David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm absolutely fine with the Packers having extended Bakhtiari's deal with several games left before his contract was set up to expire.

It's unfortunate that he suffered an injury but that could have happened during offseason practices next year as well and the Packers would have found themselves in anm similar situation.

There's no doubt some risk is always involved by signing players to lucrative deals but that's a risk teams need to take to retain their core ones.

No, but that's because I don't want the Packers to re-sign Jones at all.

I would definitely be in favor of them extending Adams anytime this offseason though.

That depends on when the Packers will have their bye week in 2021. I don't see any reason Bakhtiari won't be able to return to left tackle fully healthy.

Bakhtiari's new deal includes $61.5 million in guaranteed money or 66.85% of the total value of the extension.
Rodgers was high as well. Neither are the normal contract nor normal player. Did you include the 2020 numbers as well in your calculation? He did sign a contract extension that I’m sure altered his 2020 numbers As well.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers just signed him to a contract as the highest paid o lineman in football that basically admits he is a HOF caliber player. No way do you put that much salary cap into him if you don't think he sn't playing at that level. The money is a bigger admission of what the Packers think of his abilities than any quote.
So just assumption they think that

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries sure bring out the BS on football teams. If Bakhtiari really is a great player playing at a HOF level, why in the hell do teams including the Packers all of a sudden think such a great player can be replaced? Cliches get tossed around like a football in practice about "stepping up" or "banding together" If Bakhtiari really is a HOF talent, then there is no way that he will be "replaced" without a big drop off in talent that translates to more sacks, hurries tfl etcc.. and fewer points per game. If Gute didn't think that, he wouldn't have signed him to such a fat contract.

Nobody said it will be easy to replace Bak but what else is a coach gonna say? The guys behind him suck so we are screwed? I suspect we'll put Lewis on the left side to help out whomever we put over there, especially against this front this afternoon on obvious passing downs. It will help immeasurably if we can run the ball effectively.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It's unfortunate that he suffered an injury but that could have happened during offseason practices next year as well and the Packers would have found themselves in anm similar situation.

There's no doubt some risk is always involved by signing players to lucrative deals but that's a risk teams need to take to retain their core ones.

Like I said, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. To me it is basically "doubling up" or "over lapping" on a contract period that you really shouldn't have to. Bahk would have still been under his old contract for the remainder of this season. New knowledge of his physical health would have been known in early March to base the decisions on his new contract off of. I understand if you have an up and coming player and you think you might be able to entice them into a "team friendly" deal before their value goes up or you renegotiate an existing contract to benefit the teams cap numbers. However, in the case of Bahk, he was going to get paid HUGE at the end of his contract, unless maybe if he got hurt.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers was high as well. Neither are the normal contract nor normal player. Did you include the 2020 numbers as well in your calculation? He did sign a contract extension that I’m sure altered his 2020 numbers As well.

No, the percentage of guaranteed money I posted was solely based on new money Bakhtiari will receive over the next few years.

In my opinion it wouldn't have made any sense to include money he received some years ago anyway.

Like I said, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. To me it is basically "doubling up" or "over lapping" on a contract period that you really shouldn't have to. Bahk would have still been under his old contract for the remainder of this season. New knowledge of his physical health would have been known in early March to base the decisions on his new contract off of. I understand if you have an up and coming player and you think you might be able to entice them into a "team friendly" deal before their value goes up or you renegotiate an existing contract to benefit the teams cap numbers. However, in the case of Bahk, he was going to get paid HUGE at the end of his contract, unless maybe if he got hurt.

I understand your point of view but sometimes teams have to take risks like that as otherwise they could lose elite players in free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I understand your point of view but sometimes teams have to take risks like that as otherwise they could lose elite players in free agency.

Probably why so many men and women start dating BEFORE their eventual breakup/divorce! :roflmao:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody said it will be easy to replace Bak but what else is a coach gonna say? The guys behind him suck so we are screwed? I suspect we'll put Lewis on the left side to help out whomever we put over there, especially against this front this afternoon on obvious passing downs. It will help immeasurably if we can run the ball effectively.
Using Lewis is a good idea. And it paid having Jenkins at LG on Sunday. He was able to chip occasionally and help Turner. That said, I thought Turner played a pretty good game. No one's gonna replace Bakh, but the O line operates as a unit. Thank goodness there's some depth there, although Wagner's knees are a concern.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He is back to practice.. I believe not this week but next week he plays...So he will have missed 7 games.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is back to practice.. I believe not this week but next week he plays...So he will have missed 7 games.
Can't happen soon enough. Big price to pay for a damn practice injury. GB's good luck with injuries kinda ran out.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wish you would have started a new thread. I read the title and thought oh **** what went wrong now.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks his 1st game will be against the Chiefs. High probability he does not play this week and my guess is more than 50% chance he does not play on the short week against Zona. As long as they beat the former Redskins I say no need to rush him back.

Reaction score
Is there anyway we can change this thread title! Scared the crap out of me seeing this pop up fresh!

Maybe something positive like..

Bak is Back!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks his 1st game will be against the Chiefs. High probability he does not play this week and my guess is more than 50% chance he does not play on the short week against Zona. As long as they beat the former Redskins I say no need to rush him back.
I agree. They're 5-1, they should be able to beat Washington, and even if they lose to the Cards, that leaves them at a respectable 6-2 in what used to be the mid=season point. They have a late bye thankfully, so yeah, he'll probably start against the Chiefs.

Off subject but I believe they beat one or maybe both of their teams. The team is getting healthier, the Chiefs are vulnerable, especially on D, and Arizona got away with at least one W.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anyway we can change this thread title! Scared the crap out of me seeing this pop up fresh!

Maybe something positive like..

Bak is Back!
I have had the same feeling, and more than once to show you how I live and die with these guys. We should have an injury thread to prevent any future fan injury.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting Bakh back is huge...its basically like making a big acquisition mid season. The Oline gonna be much stronger.

Bakh pushes Jenkins back to left guard, Myers has been a home run at center, then you figure out who plays at right guard and right tackle out of Billy Turner, Jon Runyon, and Royce Newman

My guess is Newman and Turner stay put and Runyon becomes the top interior backup

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Getting Bakh back is huge...its basically like making a big acquisition mid season.
Except we have already been paying him a ton of money!

Average annual salary of $23M.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except we have already been paying him a ton of money!

Average annual salary of $23M.

Im not talking about money im talking about winning a championship...just saw the bucks ring ceremony...would like to see another one

Getting Alexander, MVS and Z. Smith back late season/playoffs should provide a similar boost...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Im not talking about money im talking about winning a championship...just saw the bucks ring ceremony...would like to see another one

Getting Alexander, MVS and Z. Smith back late season/playoffs should provide a similar boost...
I said that because yes, we are getting him back, but it is not like a midseason acquisition, because we have been paying him and his cap hit is not a small one.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said that because yes, we are getting him back, but it is not like a midseason acquisition, because we have been paying him and his cap hit is not a small one.

Smh on the field its a mid season acquisition...the players dont care about that

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Smh on the field its a mid season acquisition...the players dont care about that
LOL...I can hardly wait when we trade for and get Alexander and Z-Dog!

I think the players all have a mindset that they are a team, no matter who is out there playing. They know way before we do when certain players are going to be back. Now when guys like Jaylon Smith and Whitney Mercilus show up at practice, those are midseason acquisitions that might make some players happy and the people whos job they are taking away, not so happy.

Latest posts