David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You never want to lose a guy like Bakh, but this could make the Packers play possessed. They’re gonna want to win it for, among many other reasons, him. Let’s hope it has this galvanizing effect.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You never want to lose a guy like Bakh, but this could make the Packers play possessed. They’re gonna want to win it for, among many other reasons, him. Let’s hope it has this galvanizing effect.

This is my hope. It's a devastating loss both on and off the field. My hope is that the team not only can make good enough adjustments on the field, but handle the emotional shock.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any decent veteran tackles on the street available?
Even if they figure out what to do with shuffling the starters, they'll need depth.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if they figure out what to do with shuffling the starters, they'll need depth.

I was looking yesterday, probably most intriguing would be Cordy Glenn. Experience at LT and LG. Hasn't played much football though, not sure if he's still looking to play or if he's retired.

Veldheer immediately came to mind, but he's playing for the Colts.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will take time to plug in someone off the street. Packers are left with reshuffling and tossing out much of the play book. Don't see how play action will work with a hole at LT. Makes sense for the Packrts to rest all their starters for the Bears game. They don't need any more injuries and there is no home field advantage without fans. Home field means the Packers first playoff game would likely be against Tampa. Not a good match up, especially with a LT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Given that LT is the premier position of the 5 OL positions, I really doubt the Packers just find one out of a job. Let me rephrase that, find one that is even remotely close to at talented as what they already have on the team, as well as familiar with their offense.

As a few people have pointed out, Jared Veldheer probably would have been the logical guy to bring in, but the Colts literally just signed him to their PS. Now I could be wrong, but unless he is on the Colts 53, the Packers might be able to sign them to their 53? Could be they changed that rule this year due to COVID?

I expect the Packers will bring up a player from their PS and then sign another T, but otherwise its going to be "next man up".

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It will take time to plug in someone off the street. Packers are left with reshuffling and tossing out much of the play book. Don't see how play action will work with a hole at LT. Makes sense for the Packrts to rest all their starters for the Bears game. They don't need any more injuries and there is no home field advantage without fans. Home field means the Packers first playoff game would likely be against Tampa. Not a good match up, especially with a LT.

I don't think you play scared now, just because of an injury. I fully expect that the Packers will go out and play their ***es off on Sunday in an attempt to make sure all their post season games will be played at frigid and familiar Lambeau Field.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think you play scared now, just because of an injury. I full expect that the Packers will go out and play their ***es off on Sunday in an attempt to make sure all their post season games will be played at frigid and familiar Lambeau Field.
With out fans, it’s still an advantage not having to travel

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jared was to be activated for this weeks game

Makes sense and again, I don't know if the rules have changed. In previous years, you could sign a guy to your 53 off of another teams Practice Squad. That is how we got Allen Lazard in Dec. of 2018 (off of Jacksonville's PS).

All that said, I would be just fine if it was allowed, that the Packers swooped in and signed Veldheer away from the Colts. Revenge for our loss to them earlier this year. :D

Looked it up:

Player rights
While on a practice squad, a player is paid by that particular team. However, the player has the right to sign with another team’s 53-man roster. The one regular exception to this is that the player may not sign a contract with his team’s next opponent after 4 p.m. ET six days preceding the game (10 days preceding in bye weeks). A player cannot sign a practice squad contract with one team and then leave to sign a practice squad contract with another team, unless the first team has released said player.

The league has created another significant exception to this rule for this year. Each team is allowed to protect up to four of its practice squad players from other teams.

The last clause may prevent the Packers from signing him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With out fans, it’s still an advantage not having to travel

Yeah, I didn't even want to go into all the advantages of playing at home, because they are numerous and pretty obvious to me. While I understand that 80,000 fans is a huge advantage too, I would be shocked if their was one team in the NFL that wouldn't want the #1 Seed this year and everything that comes with it, including a week off.

Can the Packers still win @ New Orleans or @ Seattle? Hell yes, but I would rather bring either of those teams to Winter in Green Bay. If we lock up the #1, we could only face one of those teams. Get knocked down to #3 and we might end up playing both of them, on the road.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think you play scared now, just because of an injury. I full expect that the Packers will go out and play their ***es off on Sunday in an attempt to make sure all their post season games will be played at frigid and familiar Lambeau Field.
Not to mention the fact that they don’t have to play as many playoff games. I’m always amazed at how often this major fact gets minimized or overlooked. This is the NFL where pretty much anyone can beat anyone.. heck the Falcons almost beat the Chiefs last week.

Reaction score
OMG....With David Bakhtiari out this week and we face Da' Bears and Khalil Mack, Da'Bears will be licking their chops.

All I ask is keep Arod upright.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense and again, I don't know if the rules have changed. In previous years, you could sign a guy to your 53 off of another teams Practice Squad. That is how we got Allen Lazard in Dec. of 2018 (off of Jacksonville's PS).

All that said, I would be just fine if it was allowed, that the Packers swooped in and signed Veldheer away from the Colts. Revenge for our loss to them earlier this year. :D

Looked it up:

Player rights
While on a practice squad, a player is paid by that particular team. However, the player has the right to sign with another team’s 53-man roster. The one regular exception to this is that the player may not sign a contract with his team’s next opponent after 4 p.m. ET six days preceding the game (10 days preceding in bye weeks). A player cannot sign a practice squad contract with one team and then leave to sign a practice squad contract with another team, unless the first team has released said player.

The league has created another significant exception to this rule for this year. Each team is allowed to protect up to four of its practice squad players from other teams.

The last clause may prevent the Packers from signing him.
https://www.indystar.com/story/spor...ent-after-anthony-castonzo-injury/4089391001/

Veldheer will initially sign to the practice squad and be elevated to the active roster on Sunday against the Jaguars.

maybe has to go to ps from retirement (if he was officially retired?)

what ever reason i doubt he comes here

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Right, I get that. But article doesn't say if Indy put him in that class of 4 protected players. If they didn't and this quote is true "Veldheer will initially sign to the practice squad and be elevated to the active roster on Sunday against the Jaguars." Then the Packers could swoop in between now and his elevation and sign him to their 53. Of course, he has to be willing.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veldheer was signed to the Colts PS, so I do believe that the Packers could sign him but would have to put him on the 53 man to do so.

Will they? I doubt it. They seemed to adjust for the 3+ games Bahk missed midseason, so I think they have enough able and decent players to survive.

I also forgot about Simon Stepaniak. He could fill in at G. From what I understand he is as strong as an ox.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I also forgot about Simon Stepaniak. He could fill in at G. From what I understand he is as strong as an ox.

Yup. I love Bahk and yes, its a big loss, but not something that the Packers haven't seen with Bahk and previous key lineman (Clifton, Bulaga, Taush, etc.) Fortunately, they have what I feel is one of their best and deepest OLines in several years. It sucks, but it could be far worse. I'm confident that #12 and MLF will make whatever adjustments they need to keep the offense rolling even without 69.

D

Deleted member 6794

This might put some onus into resigning Corey Linsley. Bakh will likely miss time and his full recovery is not assured. Continuity through the rest of the OL is a necessity right now.

I don't believe Bakhtiari's injury has any effect on the Packers' plans to re-sign Linsley this offseason.

the good news if there is any is that there is pretty good depth on the line, but its wearing thin now, can't afford any more injuries there or the offense could suffer.

The Packers don't have anyone best suited to line up at left tackle though.

Makes sense for the Packrts to rest all their starters for the Bears game. They don't need any more injuries and there is no home field advantage without fans. Home field means the Packers first playoff game would likely be against Tampa. Not a good match up, especially with a LT.

That doesn't make any sense at all. The Packers should do everything they can to win on Sunday to secure #1 seed and a first round bye. While there won't be any fans in attendance the team would definitely benefit from playing in the elements, especially when facing teams like the Saints or Bucs.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe Bakhtiari's injury has any effect on the Packers' plans to re-sign Linsley this offseason.

The Packers don't have anyone best suited to line up at left tackle though.

That doesn't make any sense at all. The Packers should do everything they can to win on Sunday to secure #1 seed and a first round bye. While there won't be any fans in attendance the team would definitely benefit from playing in the elements, especially when facing teams like the Saints or Bucs.

Whoever they put at LT will probably need a little assistance over there against Chicago's D front.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heavy emphasis on the run and quick passes with Adams playing lots of slot is my guess.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Lane Taylor recovered enough from his ACL to come off IR? Would he be eligible?

Nope. Not quite sure what the time table is on Taylor but I think its months before he would be ready. Didn't he basically tear his ACL too? They are saying Bahk might not even be back to start the 2021 season.

I did call the Packer Front office today and offered up my ACL if it would get Bahk back on the field sooner. They said "thanks, but we actually want him to be able to continue a football career".

Members online

Latest posts