David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is my take that could age like fine milk. If he is not ready to go by Week 1 his playing days are over. Its been long enough to recover from an ACL if hes not ready to go by start of the season hes done.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my take that could age like fine milk. If he is not ready to go by Week 1 his playing days are over. Its been long enough to recover from an ACL if hes not ready to go by start of the season hes done.

It's not a crazy thought.

Adrian Peterson went from tearing his ACL and MCL on December 24, 2011 to rushing for 2,097 yards in 2012.

I would think if Bakhtiari's knee isn't right by September, it might never be right.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As others have said, I think we need to prepare for the possibility that Bakh's career is over. It's not a sure thing, but if he isn't ready more than a year and a half after the injury, it's hard to believe he ever will be. I hope he bounces back but I can't feel too optimistic.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He’s done. Enough beating this dead horse. Hardest position in professional football on the knees with body weight is his. It’s an unfortunate thing that happens in professional sports. It happens. They’ve been extremely fortunate to draft well at the OL position over the years. More than many around the league. If this is it, then so be it. It ain’t like they’re not prepared. The contract was just real bad timing and it sucks. Can’t predict these things. It’s too bad Rodgers couldn’t take a pay cut. He don’t need the money. Cmon now. Besides his salary and endorsements, you guys see what he wants for an autograph? I’m not trying to blame Rodgers solely and I know I’m going off topic but as far as cap and money goes, Bak’s contract will be brought up now and it shouldn’t. Just unfortunate.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned in another thread I think it's finally time to consider it reasonable to be worried about Bakhtiari moving forward.

It’s too bad Rodgers couldn’t take a pay cut. He don’t need the money. Cmon now. Besides his salary and endorsements, you guys see what he wants for an autograph?

Just curious, how much does Rodgers ask for an autograph according to you?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not that I'm looking to ditch him already, but am I correct in understanding that his contract doesn't really allow us to move on without a massive dead cap hit for several years?

D

Deleted member 6794

Not that I'm looking to ditch him already, but am I correct in understanding that his contract doesn't really allow us to move on without a massive dead cap hit for several years?

True. If the Packers move on from Bakhtiari before the start of this season the move would result in $34.7 million of dead money counting against their cap either this or over the next two seasons.

The number drops to $23.1 million next year (only if they make the move before March 20) and $11.6 million in 2024.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In January, I was already concerned Bahktiari's injury was career ending. Everything since then appears to confirm that possibility. I like Josh but replacing one of the top two LT in the game with a servicable player like Josh shows how injury epidemics can be so bad they roll over from one season to the next wrecking the team's playoff chances.

Jayzee1981

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned in another thread I think it's finally time to consider it reasonable to be worried about Bakhtiari moving forward.

To sign a helmet? $799

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this - why in the world bring him back for a meaningless game at seasons end last year and play in playoffs. The oline was playing above expectations by that point, and regrettably - those few games being brought back too early may have precipitated his injury and here is where that lands him presently. I would be happy to know if the team was just being cautious even at this point, but all signs point to Bakh being unable to go.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree 100%. And to go maybe one step further, if he is still rehabbing when cam p opens this week, he's done. I say that with a heavy heart.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking good.
Any hope seemed to be dashed last year when he played 27 snaps against the Lions in the regular season finale, and then, after an extra week of rest, couldn't start against the Niners. He's probably one of the best OTs the Packers have had in their history. And he's just a good guy. Hoping for the best, but if he opens camp rehabbing, it's over. I hope I'm wrong, but it's coming up on two years. There's a problem we don't know about.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I didn't even know he charged for autographs. He may be reluctant to give them in public, but I have a hard time believing he sells them.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say this - why in the world bring him back for a meaningless game at seasons end last year and play in playoffs. The oline was playing above expectations by that point, and regrettably - those few games being brought back too early may have precipitated his injury and here is where that lands him presently. I would be happy to know if the team was just being cautious even at this point, but all signs point to Bakh being unable to go.

Eh, the line wasn't great at the end of the year. Playing him in the Lions game was a low risk proposition. He needed to be tested--it went poorly, the end.

The issue doesn't appear to be with the ACL itself, but rather whatever is causing fluid build up/discomfort. It's possible that makes the next phase easier to fix, but maybe harder to diagnose?

I'm also with the Captain. This is the first time I'm actually worried. The Lions game still wasn't quite 1 year from the initial injury.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eh, the line wasn't great at the end of the year. Playing him in the Lions game was a low risk proposition. He needed to be tested--it went poorly, the end.

The issue doesn't appear to be with the ACL itself, but rather whatever is causing fluid build up/discomfort. It's possible that makes the next phase easier to fix, but maybe harder to diagnose?

I'm also with the Captain. This is the first time I'm actually worried. The Lions game still wasn't quite 1 year from the initial injury.
Good point. The ACL repair should be completely healed. In October, I think, he had the knee scoped to clean up a tear in his meniscus. I think he said he has about 85% of the meniscus left (that's hard to quantify). But they trimmed the torn meniscus. The meniscus is the main source of cushioning in the knee. For most people, losing 15% of that would be no big deal. When you weigh 300 pounds you're putting a LOT of stress on the knee, on every play. So maybe he just can't go. The stress on the knee not absorbed by the meniscus is probably causing some pain - but worse, it's probably causing swelling. And swelling tightens up the whole knee.

Hey I'm not a doctor and am speculating. But something isn't right and this is based on all we've been told. Let's wait and see where he is when TC starts Wed. He should be a full participant. Anything less is a big problem. On the bright side, if the doctors thought his career was over, they would have said so (I think).

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To sign a helmet? $799
And does the money go in his pocket or does he he give it elsewhere? After being a part of the Packer Fan Fest years ago and seeing what absolute vultures the memorabilia people were, I’d be hesitant to ever sign an autograph ever if I happened to be good enough at football lol.

My guess is if you were a kid and saw him on the street the cost would be much different.

Reaction score
IDK. It’s discouraging that this situation just seems to drag on and on and on. Add to that we just signed him to a massive contract recently.

Hopefully this is just proceeding with caution and lowering everyone’s expectations. That is still my hope. There’s still lots of time before regular season starts and let’s face it, he’s pretty much plug n play, it’s not like he’s a Rookie in this system. This is all about giving that problem knee every last minute to recoup.

Last edited:

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IDK. It’s discouraging that this situation just seems to drag on and on and on. Add to that we just signed him to a massive contract recently.

Hopefully this is just proceeding with caution and lowering everyone’s expectations. That is still my hope. There’s still lots of time before regular season starts and let’s face it, he’s pretty much plug n play, it’s not like he’s a Rookie in this system. This is all about giving that problem knee every last minute to recoup.
FYI...Bakhtiari has had over 820,000 minutes to rehab & he's still not ready :( .

Latest posts