David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wasn't said in black and white, but I think the writing tends to lean that way. They waited until the last possible moment to activate him despite all the glowing stories about his fast healing and good progress.
But he wasn't ever able to make it thru practices even and the one test he got, ended it for him because of knee aggravation. Now he looked really good despite all that time off and stepping right in and looked the part of an all pro LT.

Him not practicing now doesn't concern me from a team or player standpoint. It's a long season and I know if he's physically able to play, he'll be one of the best even if he doesn't practice until week 1.

BUT, I'd feel better about a report that said he's being held out of team drills, but has been doing individual workouts and everything is looking strong. Vs the "We're holding him out and hopefully he's ready to go for training camp" story we got.
I don't know Mondio. Something isn't right with Bakh's situation. 17 months after surgery (well he also had a scope for a meniscus tear) he should be back. He was still getting fluid on the knee 12 months after the injury and that's not good.

I understand keeping him out of OTA practice, and it's good he's there getting evaluated. I had my knee replaced 2 months ago and the swelling is gone and I'm exercising again. That doesn't mean I can play left tackle at 180 lbs, but modern surgery is pretty amazing.

We'll just have to keep track. I guess we'll really know when the first game starts against the Queens in September. I don't see him taking any PS snaps.

Reaction score
Bakhtiari showed up and then was held out of action. The reason being is he isn't fully recovered. That much was said. Its worrying that 17 months hasn't been enough time. He had tremendous swelling and fluid on the knee in January, after one year of recovery. Perhaps he's just a slow healer. The other alternative is that he suffered a career ending injury. Hope not, but with each passing month, the Packers better have a good plan B at the tackle position. Maybe Bakhtiari's situation will prove that they were too eager to dump Turner at RT and could potentially need to replace both starting tackle spots at once. What it shows is just how devastated the Packers were by injuries in 2021, in that the 2022 season is jeopardized as well if Bakhtiari, Jenkins and Tonyan don't come back soon, ready to play at a high level.
The fact that in this years draft, the Packers added several more guys who can play Tackle shows how the FO staff absolutely has an ongoing contingency plan in mind when drafting players.

I still think it’s highly probable that Bakhtiari makes a full recovery.

For me. This exercise has reinforced the concept of risk. Putting a massive amount of risk on any player (outside of maybe a proven QB?) is not wise in the long run. We can’t imagine what life would be like without that star player (Bak) and thus we become enamored. Yet we actually proved that, as a team, we can still be relatively successful without said player.

The epitome of an example is the 2010 SB season.. we were decimated at several positions and still made adjustments and won. The efforts of a team mentality far outweigh a single player. It could even be argued that when a star player goes down? The team rises to the occasion (aka Charles Woodson) and draws the Champion play out of others.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that in this years draft, the Packers added several more guys who can play Tackle shows how the FO staff absolutely has an ongoing contingency plan in mind when drafting players.

I still think it’s highly probable that Bakhtiari makes a full recovery.

For me. This exercise has reinforced the concept of risk. Putting a massive amount of risk on any player (outside of maybe a proven QB?) is not wise in the long run. We can’t imagine what life would be like without that star player (Bak) and thus we become enamored. Yet we actually proved that, as a team, we can still be successful without said player. The epitome of examples is the 2010 SB season.. we were decimated at several positions and still made adjustments and won.
I agree with your observations about depth. Seems to me a team could be very talented on paper, only to have 4 or 5 top players go down with injuries (like the Packers last year). I'm not saying the backup players can come in and save the day, but they can certainly help maintain momentum. I think this is especially true for linemen, O and D. They take a beating on every play. So they need to get plays off and have a reliable backup.

QB? yeah most teams are lucky to have a solid starting QB, much less a backup. GB is a good example. Our starter is arguably the best QB in football. Our backup? Who knows? And there aren't enough good QBs to go around anyway.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No don’t disagree but this years indication isn’t anything new, we draft a LOT of athletic tackle prospects that stay or swing inside. It is actually a common practice by many teams…why have a guy that was too short or not athletic enough to play tackle in college limited solely to guard (unless they’re an absolute STUD)…most would rather have an athletic tackle with ability or experience to slide inside as well.

It is much tougher to transition to tackle from guard than the other way.

Reaction score
I agree with your observations about depth. Seems to me a team could be very talented on paper, only to have 4 or 5 top players go down with injuries (like the Packers last year). I'm not saying the backup players can come in and save the day, but they can certainly help maintain momentum. I think this is especially true for linemen, O and D. They take a beating on every play. So they need to get plays off and have a reliable backup.
yes. It’s often the teams with the “deeper/balanced” bench philosophy who retain that momentum in the playoffs. That obviously goes beyond American Football.

That “bench” philosophy goes hand in hand with getting Bak reacquainted and it isn’t contrary to him returning. It might even be that the culmination of several players returning (Bak/Jenkins) is an epitome of that philosophy.
If both come back? we suddenly have a very deep, qualified bench.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes. It’s often the teams with the “deeper/balanced” bench philosophy who retain that momentum in the playoffs. That obviously goes beyond American Football.

Weirdly enough the exact opposite happened last year with the Rams. They have traded depth over the last few years for elite players and just hoped for health. Last year it payed off but I do agree that it's very rare for that strategy to work out.

Reaction score
Weirdly enough the exact opposite happened last year with the Rams. They have traded depth over the last few years for elite players and just hoped for health. Last year it payed off but I do agree that it's very rare for that strategy to work out.
Yeah. In many seasons we see playoff caliber teams have Players rise from overall team adversity. The first guy comes to mind is James Starks. Where did he come from? He was on the bench just waiting that’s where!

Starks was in PUP for the first 8 weeks of 2010, then inactive for 4 more games over the next 6 weeks.
29 rushing attempts for 101 yards regular season going into playoffs.

He rushes for 315 yards over the next 4 games in playoffs. That’s a pace of 1,260 yards over a season against all playoff caliber defenses. We’re talking Chicago, Eagles, Atlanta and Steelers D

Last edited:

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I am starting to get concerned with him. If hes not ready to go at the start of training camp then it would be quite worrying. I just hope this is the team docs being conservative per usual.

Reaction score
I am starting to get concerned with him. If hes not ready to go at the start of training camp then it would be quite worrying. I just hope this is the team docs being conservative per usual.
David just texted me. Said something to the effect that he might not be at camp this week.. because he had a sore throat??

Then get texted “cough cough”.
Zartan, this is not how I wanted to start my week! :tdown:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Zartan. If he's healthy, I see no reason why he wouldn't be participating at some level.

We'll find out in minicamp. If he's not participating there....... well I don't wanna think about it.

D

Deleted member 6794

For me. This exercise has reinforced the concept of risk. Putting a massive amount of risk on any player (outside of maybe a proven QB?) is not wise in the long run. We can’t imagine what life would be like without that star player (Bak) and thus we become enamored. Yet we actually proved that, as a team, we can still be relatively successful without said player.

I highly doubt the offensive line looks anywhere near as good as they did last year with any other quarterback than Rodgers playing behind them.

We'll find out in minicamp. If he's not participating there....... well I don't wanna think about it.

MLF was pretty adamant about holding out Bakhtiari until the start of training camp.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I highly doubt the offensive line looks anywhere near as good as they did last year with any other quarterback than Rodgers playing behind them.

MLF was pretty adamant about holding out Bakhtiari until the start of training camp.
Yeah I forgot that MLF said that. Well, it's concerning. Bakh is like 17 months removed from ACL surgery and maybe 7 months (a guess) from arthroscopic surgery on the same knee. Guys recover from a scope in a month, maybe two. And he did take snaps against Detroit. Something's not right. I get being cautious, but this is pretty extreme. And I don't understand why he's at OTAs. Probably for therapy, but again, it seems like he should be way past therapy.

Reaction score
That’s not what I meant. You seem to be on an anti Love tear, doing anything and everything you can to lower him. I’m wondering why that is? (Actually I already know it’s a rhetorical so don’t answer that)

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depth is critically important to win games in the regular season to get into the playoffs. To get through the gauntlet of playoff teams to win a SB, however, you can't have too many pro bowl level players out of the lineup. Losing Bak, Jenkins and Tonyan was too much to overcome when the offense could no longer compensate for the lousy special teams.

Reaction score
Depth is critically important to win games in the regular season to get into the playoffs. To get through the gauntlet of playoff teams to win a SB, however, you can't have too many pro bowl level players out of the lineup. Losing Bak, Jenkins and Tonyan was too much to overcome when the offense could no longer compensate for the lousy special teams.
True. Well our hope is that ST doesn’t put us in that predicament again.

I think many in here would agree that losing J’aire, Bak, Elgton and ZaDarius and Tonyan heavily influenced our late season demise. That’s our top players at 4 position groups.

I would argue that Bakhtiari alone would’ve had a significant positive impact on the outcome. That’s 2 high profile playoff games that could’ve been decided by his presence. Possibly even a SB appearance etc..

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s not what I meant. You seem to be . on an anti Love tear, doing anything and everything you can to lower him. I’m wondering why that is? (Actually I already know it’s a rhetorical so don’t answer that)
I don't think Cap's comment was a veiled anti-Love message (he didn't mention Love). The O line last year was, for the most part, undermanned - no Bakh, no Jenkins, no Meyers. Guys were jumping around from T to G and vice versa. There was a change in C. They still won 13 games.

Credit goes to the guys who did play O line, MLF, the run game, and Rodgers. MLF created enough quick-execution plays and misdirection to get the ball out of Rodgers' hand quickly. The QB can't be hurried or sacked if he doesn't have the ball.

Anyway that's how I read it. I certainly hope that Bakh and Jenkins return and Rodgers gets back to having 3 or 4 seconds to make a pass. Doesn't sound like much but would probably be a lot better than last year.
I don't have a problem with MLF holding Bak out until TC. This will give him a few more weeks to heal completely.
I agree. It's just strange that Bakh makes the effort to get to GB for OTAs, and then doesn't participate at all. Well he could still be receiving treatment, he could be with a trainer in the weight room. Best to think positively that he'll be a full participant when TC begins.

Reaction score
Credit goes to the guys who did play O line, MLF, the run game, and Rodgers. MLF created enough quick-execution plays and misdirection to get the ball out of Rodgers' hand quickly. The QB can't be hurried or sacked if he doesn't have the ball.
That’s my contention. Having high level starters on the OL verses backups will make ANY QB better. I think that’s hard to argue (even though Captain attempted by flipping it to our backup OL is only successful with him on the field) That’s just not wholly true and if it is? Why would MLF change that game plan to get the ball out quick as you elaborated on. It’s contrary to Rodgers carrying a backup OL.

Now, We can certainly argue Rodgers has some effect on making OL better and that is partly true of any good QB, but it’s still minimal. If anything Rodgers success is predicated on the play of the OL, not the other way around. Maybe the OL should all buy Rodgers 4-wheelers

Rodgers sure didn’t make those backup Tackles look Probowl level (exaggerating for illustration) in the NFC Divisional loss did he? As the quality of the OL rises… so does QB performance and vice versa. Our OL coaching is what should get more credit than how only Rodgers at QB “lifts their game”

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s my contention. Having high level starters on the OL verses backups will make ANY QB better. I think that’s hard to argue (even though Captain attempted by flipping it to our backup OL is only successful with him on the field) That’s just not wholly true and if it is? Why would MLF change that game plan to get the ball out quick as you elaborated on. It’s contrary to Rodgers carrying a backup OL.

Now, We can certainly argue Rodgers has some effect on making OL better and that is partly true of any good QB, but it’s still minimal. If anything Rodgers success is predicated on the play of the OL, not the other way around. Maybe the OL should all buy Rodgers 4-wheelers

Rodgers sure didn’t make those backup Tackles look Probowl level (exaggerating for illustration) in the NFC Divisional loss did he? As the quality of the OL rises… so does QB performance and vice versa. Our OL coaching is what should get more credit than how only Rodgers at QB “lifts their game”
I certainly agree that the OL coaches in GB are possibly the best in the NFL, and under appreciated. That was certainly evident last year. Rodgers does his part by getting the ball out fast. I still argue that the game plan from MLF plays a bigger role. The ball can come out fast but it has to go to a receiver that can "win" by picking up 4 yards or more. Why 4 yards? If they're only averaging 3 yards per attempt it's 4th and 1.

I think the OL coach was promoted to OC (Stevanovich sp?). Well earned.

Now for 2022 and aspirations for a trip to the SB, they need Bakh and Jenkins back, they need Meyers to play well, they need to be healthier, and the rookies have to be ready to step in when guys do go down.

I'm excited about the year ahead. I believe games are won and lost in the trenches, and with the OL and DL talent GB has, a SB trip is within reach.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s not what I meant. You seem to be on an anti Love tear, doing anything and everything you can to lower him. I’m wondering why that is? (Actually I already know it’s a rhetorical so don’t answer that)
1. Bakh ACL Tear.
2. Anti-Love Tear.
3. Anti-Adams Tear.
4. Play-off losses tears.

It is hard to keep up.

D

Deleted member 6794

The post wasn't meant as a knock on Love at all. I'm convinced there wouldn't have been a lot of quarterbacks in the entire league capable of excelling behind a patchwork offensive line like the Packers had to put on the field at times last season.

I think that’s hard to argue (even though Captain attempted by flipping it to our backup OL is only successful with him on the field) That’s just not wholly true and if it is? Why would MLF change that game plan to get the ball out quick as you elaborated on. It’s contrary to Rodgers carrying a backup OL.

On average, Rodgers throw the ball only 0.09 seconds faster than 2021 (2.63) than he did in '20 (2.72). It's ridiculous to suggest that he had only a minimal effect on the performance of the offensive line.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does all sound very odd. I am thinking he doesnt need to do anything in public view.

I wonder if inside the walls he is doing and getting special treatment.

But if some players dont have to attend then why does he had to do any type of drills? And why are people up on arms about him at ota?

At least he showed up
I think he is sitting out because the knee is still bothering him. I am concerned because he's had a year and a half to heal.

I'm pretty sure he is going through a physical therapy regimen on a planned schedule.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he is sitting out because the knee is still bothering him. I am concerned because he's had a year and a half to heal.

I'm pretty sure he is going through a physical therapy regimen on a planned schedule.
I think you're right JK. He can get the care of the trainers in GB. It's very concerning though that 17 months later he may still be having trouble with the knee. He had some of the meniscus removed in the knee and that could be the problem. The meniscus doesn't come back and is the only cushioning in the knee aside from articular cartilage.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts