David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope you are right.

I remember blowing his ACL in practice. Remember thinking that’s so odd, he’s good getting assaulted fir hundreds of snaps of live competition, then injured it in preparation.

Good catch.
Thanks Oldschool. Yeah it always strikes me as odd when players get injuries in practice. But it happens a lot, unfortunately. I hope Bakhtiari will be ready for camp.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until Bahktiari plays in a game without the knee acting up, nobody knows yet if he's back. For someone who had fluid taken from his knee after practice last year, its too early to make any assertions regarding his availability.
Given his past and experience with this injury (well, injuries), I agree it's best to wait and see him play a complete game, or at least practice at full speed in pads. There was a lot on non-information about how the injury occurred, the need for the second procedure on the meniscus, and why 27 snaps against the Lions ended his season.

I just hope he's ok and ready to go. This time.

Reaction score
Until Bahktiari plays in a game without the knee acting up, nobody knows yet if he's back. For someone who had fluid taken from his knee after practice last year, its too early to make any assertions regarding his availability.
Practice Last year? I’m assuming you mean 2021 ?
That’s erroring on caution alright! :tdown:

Seriously though, if we have to wait until September 2022 and he’s still not available to play? (20 months post injury issues) We’re in much, much bigger trouble than we thought

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Practice Last year? I’m assuming you mean 2021 ?
That’s erroring on caution alright! :tdown:

Seriously though, if we have to wait until September 2022 and he’s still not available to play? (20 months post injury issues) We’re in much, much bigger trouble than we thought
He's not wrong though. Last year by the time TC started people were actually believing BakhT was going to be on the starting 53 and wasn't going to be pup'd. He was so far ahead of healing and they heal faster these days you know. and then weeks went by, then a month, then 2, then he tried and had a set back, tried again setback, then couldn't when we needed him most.

If people aren't err'ing on the side of caution by now, I'm not sure when they ever will. again this year, people are already thinking Jenkins and tonyan are back. They're both likely October or later additions.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
B4 the Tampa playoff game

And may have been b4 last game of year
I think the actual date of his injury was December 31, 2020, so it probably was b4 the last game of the year - and I think he was working out on his own when he tore the ACL. Not sure. What's for sure is that he's been away for a long time. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, well at least from me, until he practices in pads this summer. I sure hope he does....... He looked in great form at game 6 of Bucks/Celts!

Reaction score
He's not wrong though. Last year by the time TC started people were actually believing BakhT was going to be on the starting 53 and wasn't going to be pup'd. He was so far ahead of healing and they heal faster these days you know. and then weeks went by, then a month, then 2, then he tried and had a set back, tried again setback, then couldn't when we needed him most.

If people aren't err'ing on the side of caution by now, I'm not sure when they ever will. again this year, people are already thinking Jenkins and tonyan are back. They're both likely October or later additions.
I never thought he’d be back week 6, but I admit that Bak recovery dragged on forever.

That said, we should expect Bak back early this season. If he’s practicing in camp regular that’s all I need. Our staff wouldn’t put David out there if they thought he was still injured, period

I get being all worried after last season, but turning that into complete timidness regarding Bak?
I call that a bit of an overreaction

Last edited:

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Bakh being back at about 80 pct to begin this yr. Jenkins and Tonyon no way. Dont think we will see them at all.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought he’d be back week 6, but I admit that Bak recovery dragged on forever.

That said, we should expect Bak back early this season. If he’s practicing in camp regular that’s all I need. Our staff wouldn’t put David out there if they thought he was still injured, period

I get being all worried after last season, but turning that into complete timidness regarding Bak?
I call that a bit of an overreaction
Call it whatever you want, but when a 300+ pounder who couldn’t make it through a practice over a year after injury and couldn’t play snaps a couple weeks after testing it in the most important game of the year because of that same knee, I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s the same pro owl left tackle when the season starts again.

They did spread out more money in his contract this off-season so I assume that means they feel pretty good about his recovery moving forward, but maybe they just felt worse about the cap issues and did it anyway?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

With an ACL, it's best to assume one year before a player is really back, and that counts normal rehab and getting in game shape. I'm also convinced that bigger guys, like Jenkins and Tonyan, take that full year to recover. It would be great to have them back early, but best not to count on it.

The OL group, especially if Bakh returns, should be good enough until Jenkins returns. The TE group, on the other hand, desperately needs field-stretching guys. I know there's been talk about bringing in Jared Cook or Kyle Rudolph on one year deals. They are way past prime, but better than doing nothing.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see Bakh being back at about 80 pct to begin this yr. Jenkins and Tonyon no way. Dont think we will see them at all.
That's a conservative view, and one I'm sure MLF would like to convey to opponents. Based on Bakh's recent history it's probably right.

I think Jenkins and Tonyan will be back at the one-year mark of their injuries. That's a normal recovery. As for Bakh, given all the time he's been off, I'm guessing he's back 100% by the time the season starts, or he's not coming back at all.

D

Deleted member 6794

Add Bobby Tonyan to the "It's Time To Roll" crew. All signs are looking like he will be ready week 1. I would not be surprised to see him cleared to practice at some point in camp. Bobby had a clean tear and that means less than a year recovery. He is progressing nicely and nearly 8 months in now.

There were reports about Bakhtiari being ahead of schedule in his recovery for most of the offseason last year as well. It might make sense to not put any stock into rumors like that and wait until Tonyan is actually able to do something on the field before making those projections.

I think the actual date of his injury was December 31, 2020, so it probably was b4 the last game of the year - and I think he was working out on his own when he tore the ACL. Not sure.

Bakhtiari tore his ACL in Thursday's practice before the Packers' last regular season game against the Bears.

I fully expect both Jenkins and Tonyan to play in 2022. I highly doubt either of them will be ready for the start of the season though.

I'm also convinced that bigger guys, like Jenkins and Tonyan, take that full year to recover.

I don't think Tonyan (at 240 pounds) should be considered a bigger guy like Bakhtiari or Jenkins when talking about his recovery.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were reports about Bakhtiari being ahead of schedule in his recovery for most of the offseason last year as well. It might make sense to not put any stock into rumors like that and wait until Tonyan is actually able to do something on the field before making those projections.

Bakhtiari tore his ACL in Thursday's practice before the Packers' last regular season game against the Bears.

I fully expect both Jenkins and Tonyan to play in 2022. I highly doubt either of them will be ready for the start of the season though.

I don't think Tonyan (at 240 pounds) should be considered a bigger guy like Bakhtiari or Jenkins when talking about his recovery.
Thanks for the update on when Bakh tore his ACL. And yeah, Tonyan and Bakh/Jenkins are all big guys, but Tonyan is probably 60 to 80 lbs. lighter. And I think that has something to do with the timeline for recovery from an ACL, but I don't have stats on it. One thing for sure is they are getting top notch care.

I also fully expect Tonyan and Jenkins to return - when will just depend on their recoveries. I hope Bakh's problems are in the past. It seems like we don't have all the information on his injuries and the recovery, and that's not unusual for the NFL or any major sports team I guess.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for the update on when Bakh tore his ACL. And yeah, Tonyan and Bakh/Jenkins are all big guys, but Tonyan is probably 60 to 80 lbs. lighter. And I think that has something to do with the timeline for recovery from an ACL, but I don't have stats on it. One thing for sure is they are getting top notch care.

I also fully expect Tonyan and Jenkins to return - when will just depend on their recoveries. I hope Bakh's problems are in the past. It seems like we don't have all the information on his injuries and the recovery, and that's not unusual for the NFL or any major sports team I guess.

The type of ACL tear for Tonyan is the greater asset in timeline recovery odds, his was a complete clean tear - which historically respond better to healing, therapy and conditioning post surgery. Tonyan is set to possibly be LP in training camp it sounds like, while Jenkins of course will be longer due to length of time difference since injury. I expect Tonyan to be full participant and dressed to play week 1.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers went 13-4 last year without Bahk, as well as Myers (week 6 and on) and no Jenkins from Week 11 on. Yes, we lost Turner and Patrick in Free Agency, but I think our depth is going to be equally as good, if not stronger this year. Runyan and Newman had pretty decent seasons last year for inexperienced starters. Nijman continues to slowly progress. Both Meyers and Bahk should be back at full strength. Then Gute went and drafted what I think are going to be 2 good O- Lineman in Rhyan and Tom. Jenkins should be back at some point and probably just in time to fill in for the usual "lost for the season" guy.

I'm actually excited about the OL and its depth. Sign a guy like Jared Cook at TE, see how the WR's are doing and add Julio if need be. Otherwise, I really think both sides of the ball are rock solid.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers went 13-4 last year without Bahk, as well as Myers (week 6 and on) and no Jenkins from Week 11 on. Yes, we lost Turner and Patrick in Free Agency, but I think our depth is going to be equally as good, if not stronger this year. Runyan and Newman had pretty decent seasons last year for inexperienced starters. Nijman continues to slowly progress. Both Meyers and Bahk should be back at full strength. Then Gute went and drafted what I think are going to be 2 good O- Lineman in Rhyan and Tom. Jenkins should be back at some point and probably just in time to fill in for the usual "lost for the season" guy.

I'm actually excited about the OL and its depth. Sign a guy like Jared Cook at TE, see how the WR's are doing and add Julio if need be. Otherwise, I really think both sides of the ball are rock solid.
A most excellent summary Poker. I'd add that a very fine D will get better with the return of Alexander, Campbell, and Douglas, and the additions of rookies Walker at ILB and Wyatt at DT. I agree that adding a TE like Cook (possible Rudolph) and a WR like Julio Jones will round out the O well.

And yeah, the Packers got to 13-4 last year while missing some significant talent at different times - Bakh, Jenkins, Alexander, Tonyan, Myers - and probably a few more. That list includes two first team All Pros.

So I'm looking forward to this year. Maybe the D will win a few games, including the SB!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a much simpler timeline, the ACL was torn (based reports, anyway) on Dec 31, 2020. First (and sadly only) snaps he played for the 2021 season: January 9th, 2022. So he was able to do a trial run 1 year, 9 days after injury and wasn't quite ready at 1 year, 22 days.

We have been spoiled by modern recovery times and even some early reports of his recovery. But he's a large man. Is anyone really surprised it took him a full year to see the field?

Reaction score
I wouldn’t automatically assume he’s the same pro owl left tackle when the season starts again.
I didn’t assume that. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were just arbitrarily throwing that out there, but not in response to my post? I didn’t say that or even infer that nor would I expect him to play anywhere near that level in his first contest back. Matter of fact I’d even agree with you in that.

The sentiment of my post is that David is highly probable to be healthy enough to be back on the field long before week 1 regular season. To infer that we can’t be confident or him trusted to return beginning regular season is a bit presumptuous, that’s what I was responding to.

I just think a previous poster took a timid approach to his recovery situation is all. I’m sorry if that hurts feelings, but I’m not one to speak a failed recovery into reality. Show me evidence that he’s not progressing in real time? Otherwise I’m in David’s corner even if he’s not family, he’s our guy, so I’ll be protective of him.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a much simpler timeline, the ACL was torn (based reports, anyway) on Dec 31, 2020. First (and sadly only) snaps he played for the 2021 season: January 9th, 2022. So he was able to do a trial run 1 year, 9 days after injury and wasn't quite ready at 1 year, 22 days.

We have been spoiled by modern recovery times and even some early reports of his recovery. But he's a large man. Is anyone really surprised it took him a full year to see the field?
No, I tried cautioning people last year when some were saying he was going to be ready to start the year he was “healing” so fast.

You can’t beat physiology. I expect he’ll be ready to go this year I said last year it’s 12 months +- 2 months and for the big guys it’s usually +2. People should remember that when talking about Jenkins.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for making the timeline easier to understand. I thought it was torn on Dec 31, 2020. Didn't realize that the Lions' game made it just over a year that he didn't play. And somewhere in the fall of 2021, he tore his meniscus and needed to get that scoped. That adds to the needed recovery.

And yeah, he's a big guy. I just had my knee replaced and at 180 lbs, my recovery was a lot faster than it would be for someone at 220 lbs. I know these guys are athletes, but lineman like Bakh go around 320 lbs. That's a big load on a knee. They'll probably all face knee replacement in their 40s.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, I tried cautioning people last year when some were saying he was going to be ready to start the year he was “healing” so fast.

You can’t beat physiology. I expect he’ll be ready to go this year I said last year it’s 12 months +- 2 months and for the big guys it’s usually +2. People should remember that when talking about Jenkins.
All good points. While these guys are all physically big and conditioned, the knee is the knee. It's made up of bone, cartilage and ligaments that can't be strengthened. So there's a big difference for a guy putting 320 lbs of static pressure on a knee than a guy who weights 200 lbs, or 240 lbs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn’t assume that. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you were just arbitrarily throwing that out there, but not in response to my post? I didn’t say that or even infer that nor would I expect him to play anywhere near that level in his first contest back. Matter of fact I’d even agree with you in that.

The sentiment of my post is that David is highly probable to be healthy enough to be back on the field long before week 1 regular season. To say he can’t be trusted to return beginning regular season is a bit presumptuous is what I was responding to.

I just think a previous poster took a timid approach to his situation. The general guideline for recovery from his injury hovers around 1 year. As you said he’s 300+ and that factors. Expecting him back last season at full strength was questionable. Yea even in January. However he’ll have nearly an additional 6 months until camp and another 9-10 months from his last appearance before week 1 (the post I responded to)

If he’s having trouble making the field week 1 (from his initial injury) we’ve got big, big problems. I don’t think that’s the case. We shall see.
Yeah we'll have to see what kind of shape he is in. Logic and just time would suggest he's lost something. But I'll take Bakh at 75% to most other LTs in the league.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can’t beat physiology. I expect he’ll be ready to go this year I said last year it’s 12 months +- 2 months and for the big guys it’s usually +2.

I was honestly encouraged by what (20 snaps?) we did see against the Lions. Even at 70% and either still hurting, not up to conditioning, or perhaps both, he still looked the part.

Jenkins et al did excellent work in Bhak's absence, but it was obvious they are not elite left tackles.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Amen, personally I am not planning on Jenkins having a realistic shot till end of the season for consideration of playing. Yes, folks I know that is longer than a year - he could beat my timeline but I personally don't see earlier than week 12 him in the line up at all.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was honestly encouraged by what (20 snaps?) we did see against the Lions. Even at 70% and either still hurting, not up to conditioning, or perhaps both, he still looked the part.

Jenkins et al did excellent work in Bhak's absence, but it was obvious they are not elite left tackles.
Good point. Might as well be optimistic. From a talent standpoint, including the return of injured players, the year is shaping up well.

Members online

Latest posts