Davenport's take on the Packers - Interesting

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Najeh Davenport, late of the Packers and now with the Steelers (and making an impact I might add) interviewed by the Pittsburgh paper:

Post-Gazette Article

Very interesting comments on the Packer coaching and management style. Remember he was cut so aside from pre-season 2006 his comments have to be applied to pre-McCarthy. I can't say his analysis is right or wrong but he certainly is enjoying the situation in Pittsburgh compared to Green Bay.

Most telling quote (IMHO):
"Don't get me wrong, it's [Green Bay] a great organization with the history, but, to me, personally, they're not really changing with the times. They're kind of stuck in an era -- they won a Super Bowl and they got a couple championships -- and I think they're kind of stuck in that phase of how things were run then. Sometimes, you got to look at it -- it's a new year, a new millennium, players change, personalities change, style and trends change. You got to adjust to the trend."

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article says the Packers have only 6 NFL championships...they have 12.

Moving along to the topic:
He said players were fined $3,500 if they were late for a meeting, $8,000 if they missed a meeting.

And rightly so. Why should they be late or missing meetings?

Davenport said he was once fined $1,800 because he was six pounds -- $300 per pound -- over the team's desired playing weight of 242 pounds.

This is definitely overboard. If the guy can perform who cares if he is 232 or 252?

They're kind of stuck in an era -- they won a Super Bowl and they got a couple championships -- and I think they're kind of stuck in that phase of how things were run then.

For sure. Sherman emphasized that A LOT. And I thinks it's a big mistake (and another way to make more money) in relishing in the 1996 championship. Let's concetrate on winning this year.

I just hope with the new regime things will change for the better and the atmosphere improves for players. Last thing we want is the 70s and 80s to return where players don't want to come to Green Bay and we lose constantly.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Davenport may have a point. It's too early to tell, from where I'm sitting. But I would've liked to see the team move in a different direction instead of continuing to milk that whole Ron Wolf/West Coast Offense pedigree. Sherman was too stuck in that mindset, I thought, but Thompson and McCarthy are not a whole lot different. I hope they prove me wrong.

And I am completely sick of hearing about the '96 team. I loved that team, but I'm starting to be reminded of how the Packers milked the success of those great 60's teams, hiring Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg as coaches, while the team deteriorated. Living in the past can be dangerous.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really give much thought to what recently released players think of the team, good OR bad.

OP
OP
P

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see your point Trom. Although it isn't like he got released and ran down to the newspaper to start bashing the Packers. Several weeks after settling into his new team he discussed the differences between the 2 teams atmospheres and apparent attitudes. I kind of thought it made for some worthwhile reading.

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved Davenport as a Packer!!! But their should be repercussions when players don't do what they should, they get paid tons of money to be professional and thats what they should be...

I have seen many clips of Favre pulling peoples pants down, talking goofy to other players, so I think they have fun on the field...but lets remember it is a career and you have to follow rules no matter if its a job or out in public..

I think whenever a player gets let go, they always come up with something bad against the team that dismissed them...

And yes we have won 12 championships not 6...GO PACK!!

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really give much thought to what recently released players think of the team, good OR bad.

I am pretty sure that he has a much better behind the sceens take on the Packers or the NFL in general than you or anyone else here Trom. :roll:

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One day people here are all excitied because some of the Miami Dolphins had praise for Brett Favre but then when a former Packer gives an honest assessment about you favorite team, something that he actually has knowledge about, then you close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and go LALALALALALALALALALAL.....

Yared-Yam

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One day people here are all excitied because some of the Miami Dolphins had praise for Brett Favre but then when a former Packer gives an honest assessment about you favorite team, something that he actually has knowledge about, then you close your eyes, stick your fingers in your ears and go LALALALALALALALALALAL.....

Give me a break. Did he say "Impossible! I don't believe him!" No.

He said, "I don't give it much thought"

You look for anything and everything to bash Packer fans. You're making me hate the Bears sir, and I don't know if that's good or bad. I'll lean towards good, but only because I knew this guy from Illinois that overdosed on crack/heroin and vitamin C supplements.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:

Give me a break. Did he say "Impossible! I don't believe him!" No.

He said, "I don't give it much thought"

You look for anything and everything to bash Packer fans. You're making me hate the Bears sir, and I don't know if that's good or bad.

Go ahead and get your Packer views from the same 9 or 10 people then.... as long as they say how great things are for the Packers.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Phil, stretching things a bit here, aren't we? Most of the responders in this topic have said that Davenport has a point and that living in the past isn't a good thing. I guess when you want to stir the pot, all you have to do is make up stuff. Seriously, why do you visit this forum so often? It's awfully telling of a person that spends a lot of his time on the forum of the team he hates.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Phil, stretching things a bit here, aren't we? Most of the responders in this topic have said that Davenport has a point and that living in the past isn't a good thing. I guess when you want to stir the pot, all you have to do is make up stuff. Seriously, why do you visit this forum so often? It's awfully telling of a person that spends a lot of his time on the forum of the team he hates.

Same old response.
The old head in the sand and "let me see things only as I wish they were" routine.

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Same old response.
The old head in the sand and "let me see things only as I wish they were" routine.

Gee, what a surprise, another post from Phil telling a Packer fan what he thinks. Where in my post did I say things are great in Green Bay?? I said that most of the responders AGREED WITH DAVENPORT. Learn to read, kid.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
Same old response.

Gee, what a surprise, another post from Phil telling a Packer fan what he thinks. Where in my post did I say things are great in Green Bay?? I said that most of the responders AGREED WITH DAVENPORT. Learn to read, kid.

You might want to follow your own advice there Lombardi. I make a comment to Trom and some one else claims that it is about all Packer fans.

Where in my post did I say that you personally think that every thing is great with the Packers?

You guys take every comment as some personal attack and that is weird. Get a grip man. It is just f**king football! (and in the Packers case, bad football)

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Borderline smack Phil, no place for it here really.

Yup. I agree. I make a real comment about Davenport and the whining begins.
Have fun Packer fans.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Philtration said:
Same old response.

You might want to follow your own advice there Lombardi. I make a comment to Trom and some one else claims that it is about all Packer fans.

Where in my post did I say that you personally think that every thing is great with the Packers?

You guys take every comment as some personal attack and that is weird. Get a grip man. It is just f**king football! (and in the Packers case, bad football)

Not always bad football Phil.

thugie

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Steeler fan here. I was going to post the link earlier, but wasn't approved yet.

Regarding the Davenport remarks, my opinion is that there is too little respect in the game now. I'm glad that the Steelers are a loose bunch, but I agree with some of the Packers' rules. There is nothing wrong with reasonable rules and discipline. I don't think it is living in the past to treat your team and organization with respect.

OP
OP
P

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that there is a big difference between respect that is demanded and respect that is commanded. When you have to dock players for a few pounds over/under I don't think you are commanding their respect. I can't say how it goes inside the Steelers lockerroom but to listen to Najeh it's not the same.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
all about da packers said:
Borderline smack Phil, no place for it here really.

Yup. I agree. I make a real comment about Davenport and the whining begins.
Have fun Packer fans.

Thank goodness for whoever installed the ignore option.
Bye Phil!!!!!

So long princess. I will miss your in-depth comments.
Good luck with that whole "think like me or I get all headachy" thing.

Members online

Latest posts