Davenport played 8.7% of the snaps, Fisher 31.9%

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
729
Reaction score
0
I don't get that. According to Bob McGinn, Tony Fisher played 31.9% of the snaps and Najeh Davenport played just 8.7% (six of 69).

Fisher hasn't been as solid the entire preseason compared to previous years. I remember him missing blitz pickups in the preseason, and he fumbled and dropped a sideline pass in the Lions game.

Shouldn't Davenport be getting more snaps than Fisher, or is Davenport hurt or something?
 

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
280
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampton, VA
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I don't get that. According to Bob McGinn, Tony Fisher played 31.9% of the snaps and Najeh Davenport played just 8.7% (six of 69).

Fisher hasn't been as solid the entire preseason compared to previous years. I remember him missing blitz pickups in the preseason, and he fumbled and dropped a sideline pass in the Lions game.

Shouldn't Davenport be getting more snaps than Fisher, or is Davenport hurt or something?

Two totally different roles there. Davenport is a power runner and Fisher is a finesse back. He (Fisher) was in so much because we were always second and long or 3rd and long.
 

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 15, 2004
Messages
729
Reaction score
0
You are probably right about that. It's just kind of frustrating seeing Fisher struggle this year with mistakes for some reason, when he was so reliable in the past.
 

kuston

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
ORRELSE said:
ArizonaPackerFan said:
I don't get that. According to Bob McGinn, Tony Fisher played 31.9% of the snaps and Najeh Davenport played just 8.7% (six of 69).

Fisher hasn't been as solid the entire preseason compared to previous years. I remember him missing blitz pickups in the preseason, and he fumbled and dropped a sideline pass in the Lions game.

Shouldn't Davenport be getting more snaps than Fisher, or is Davenport hurt or something?

Two totally different roles there. Davenport is a power runner and Fisher is a finesse back. He (Fisher) was in so much because we were always second and long or 3rd and long.


Now I'm sure the NFL shows a different game here in AZ then in Wis.
The Packers did pretty good on 1st down. Looking at the stats: in the 1st Quarter the Pack averaged 6.4 yds on 1st down. 2nd Quarter averaged 4.1 yds on 1st down. For the half, 5.0 yds per 1st down. The 2nd half isn't as good. 3rd Quarter 2.8 yds per 1st down but still averaging 4.4 for the first 3 quarter. The 4th quarter was -1.0 yd per 1st down, dropping the game average to 3.2 yds per 1st down. We had 11 2nd or 3rd downs with 3yds or less and didn't pick up the first. That is why we lost. It's that simple.
 

DePack

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
1
Location
Newark, Delaware
kuston....we had alot of 3rd and 2 or 3 that turned into 3rd and 7 or 3rd and 13 because of ******* penalties. That is why we lost.

Fisher is just better than Davenport. Najeh may be the most over-rated player on the team. Injuries, fumbles, missed blocks etc. But the bottom line is Fisher comes in on obvious passing downs. He catches the ball out of the backfield better AND he picks up the blitz better. We seemed to be in alot of passing downs.
 

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Joined
Jul 14, 2005
Messages
280
Reaction score
0
Location
Hampton, VA
kuston said:
Now I'm sure the NFL shows a different game here in AZ then in Wis.

Well then they must have showed the "different" game in Virginia too. Smarta$$.

I don't think anyone here but you would argue that Davenport is a one dimensional back and no matter what the yardage is on 3rd down, 3rd and 3, 3rd and 9, 3rd and 2, 3rd and 5, he's pretty much useless. You'll see Fisher in the game in that situation almost every time.
 

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
1,067
Reaction score
0
Location
Guadalajara, Mexico
Okey DePAck IMHO you are 100 %right, the main reason of our loose was that penalties changed our gains in the ofense and increased our looses in the defense, sometimes we where in 3rd and 2 and ended up in 3rd and 7 and sometimes we got them in 3 rd and stoped, then commited a stupid penalty and gave them a free 1&10 :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
 

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
2,084
Reaction score
0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
The Poopster plays only on first and second down. We had a ton of thirds and Fisher is our third down back. That's why he played more. I would imagine that Fisher often plays more snaps than the Poopster does but I would also imagine that the Poopster gets more plays called for him.
 

kuston

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
DePack, I would say 11 times is "alot" maybe even more then "alot"?
ORRELSE - I just reread my post and I don't see any mention or implied mention of Davenport anywhere in it. I now understand why you posted your orginal post.
 

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 1, 2005
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
0
Location
Marquette, Michigan
Neither of these guys has played well so far this year. Fisher will probably be fine, but I'm not sure about Davenport. I think losing weight may be the worst thing he could've done for himself. He seems to have lost power without gaining any speed or elusiveness. He's trying to make himself look like a starting halfback so he can score in free agency, but unfortunately he's not PLAYING like a starting halfback. As far as I know, he has yet to break a tackle in 2005.
 

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Joined
May 21, 2005
Messages
2,253
Reaction score
2
Location
North Dakota
ArizonaPackerFan said:
You are probably right about that. It's just kind of frustrating seeing Fisher struggle this year with mistakes for some reason, when he was so reliable in the past.

It wouldn't be so bad either if we all didn't know about Walt Williams. In my opinion, the only reason that guy didn't stick was because of Fisher's reliability. Now even that is in question and with good reason! :roll:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Top