Davante Adams Thread!

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He is my #6 pre draft WR after Watkins, Evans, Cooks, Beckham JR, and Lee.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/_/id/520581/davante-adams

Here is my breakdown...
6. Davante Adams/21/Fresno State

Pros

• Impressive stats for his 2 seasons

• Durable

• Good separation skills

• Good hands

• Can make first guy miss

• Can box out corner backs

• Good at getting off the press

• Not afraid to catch over the middle

• Good focus when catching
Cons

• Inconsistent blocking effort

• Needs to learn to run more routes (ran a lot of screens for Carr)

• Will not beat many people when sprinting down field
Davante Adams is a really good receiver. Unfortunately Derek Carr and his screen happy ways didn't give us enough tape of Adams going more than 5 yards down field and catching the ball. He needs to learn more routes and he won't be beating many corner backs in foot races but otherwise he is an awesome receiver.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He gets nice separation. Has great hands. Catches everything. Nice routes.

Rodgers will love this guy.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I'm just kind of worried. I mean what kind of competition did Fresno State face?

But I've doubted Ted Thompson before, too, and was proved wrong.

H

HardRightEdge

I like this pick; a starter-quality WR for 2015.

Hands, athletic, good second/third gear. 6'1" with a 40" vertical. Potential to be a very productive possession receiver.

Unlike Nelson who has outstanding long speed, this guy will get caught from behind from time to time.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ball skills and leaping ability is A+. He's not a slot wr so he will be on the outside. It was 3 Wrs I thought were better but Rodgers makes Wrs so...would've been nice to have another big fast guy tho.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice selection. I hope he can prove useful and be a new target for Rodgers.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We knew a pick like this was coming. I don't know how much the fact that both Cobb and Nelson are up for deals had to do with picking a WR in the 2nd, but perhaps there's a connection. Cobb ain't going nowhere. Ever.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had 9 catches and a TD against USC in the Las Vegas Bowl this past season.

H

HardRightEdge

James Jones 2.0
Mayock said that but I don't see it at all unless it's just a way of saying "#3 receiver" (which isn't quite right either).

This guy has a 40 inch vertical; Jones was more like 34 if I recall. The tape shows Adams making hay with back shoulders and jump balls, neither of which were Jones specialties. Also this guy has early burst and elusiveness whereas Jones had better long speed...he made his money with his 3rd./4th. gear separation.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

The ball skills and leaping ability is A+. He's not a slot wr so he will be on the outside. It was 3 Wrs I thought were better but Rodgers makes Wrs so...would've been nice to have another big fast guy tho.
We do seem to be getting slower, first with Boykin and now with Adams. Maybe White will make the grade to mix in a little stretch-the-field threat in the occasional 4 wide.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We do seem to be getting slower, first with Boykin and now with Adams.

40 time is the most over emphasized piece of crap of an evaluation stat in football. Football speed and track speed are two different things. As soon as the NFL takes the pads off and provide starting blocks on the LOS, I'll take more stock in it. Boykin gave us 50+ catches, 700+ yards and 3 TDs in only 8 starts. Results speak for themselves. That's better than Darius H-B has ever done, so who cares about track speed on a football field? No WR can match his combine speed anyway when he's running routes and looking back for the ball.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
love this pick! james jones 2.0 is right(imo) one thing i believe cost us the championship game against the giants when it was -22 on the field. we were built for finessewith our o-line wrs and cbs. harris's skinny *** froze up in 4th quarter and ot. we didnt have the beefy skill players the giants did. anyways. look at us now. o-line is 20lb bigger. jordy boykin and now adams and rodgers are big too. we are being better built to play home playoff games in the tundra.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had 9 catches and a TD against USC in the Las Vegas Bowl this past season.
And he was missed WIDE OPEN for 2 different deep touchdowns, horrible misses by Derek Carr.
You can see that on the youtube video of the USC game.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough to peg athletically. At the combine, compared to other WRs:

Poor 40
Good Shuttle
Poor 3 cone
Great vertical
Good Broad jump
Average Bench

But you look at the production and you think he must have a great understanding of the game, route running, and great hands.

There were 3 or 4 WRs who were about the same ranking, in my eyes, and I probably would have gone with at least 2 of the other guys. But, I have no doubt that Adams will be a very good player for us.

H

HardRightEdge

40 time is the most over emphasized piece of crap of an evaluation stat in football. Football speed and track speed are two different things. As soon as the NFL takes the pads off and provide starting blocks on the LOS, I'll take more stock in it. Boykin gave us 50+ catches, 700+ yards and 3 TDs in only 8 starts. Results speak for themselves. That's better than Darius H-B has ever done, so who cares about track speed on a football field? No WR can match his combine speed anyway when he's running routes and looking back for the ball.

That's all fine and good, but I've not seen Boykin running away from anybody on the field. The same is true of Adams on the highlight tapes.

Field speed needs to be qualified anyway. For example, Nelson has long speed...you never see him taken down from behind once he gets into his long stride. Cobb is super quick up through 4th. gear but is not a 5th. gear burner. Jones signature was the smooth takeoff/double move/third gear burst into separation out of the break. Boykin seems to run a smooth curve up to his 4.6; he's a cagy guy in his routes. He'll never be a game breaker.

What I like about Adams is he looks sharp and quick out of his breaks, not common for a big man. He has the hallmarks of a productive possession receiver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts