Datone Jones suspended for season opener

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

Jones has been suspended for violatimg league's substance abuse policy.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a very high opinion of Datone after seeing him play, and now, it is even lower.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
I expected Datone to make a big jump this year. This isn't a good start.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
It's not a good start unless it was PEDs and they work. (Kidding, just kidding!) I would think the Guion decision has to be announced soon...

H

HardRightEdge

It's not a good start unless it was PEnd thDs and they work. (Kidding, just kidding!) I would think the Guion decision has to be announced soon...
I'd guess it's a second positive marijuana test. The first positive test of a non-performance enhancing drug gets you in the remediation program, which includes rounds of counceling and testing; the second infraction gets you at least a partial season suspension; the third could cost you a full year. The league is trying to go lighter on THC...the fact it was one game suggests marijuana.

My guess on Guion is he was placed in the program and the league is waiting to see if he hits certain benchmarks before deciding. Guion's situation is different in that he didn't test positive; his deal has a "conduct unbecoming" kicker given the quantity and any residual concerns with the gun and the cash.

Last edited by a moderator:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has been suspended for violatimg league's substance abuse policy.
I wish I had not seen this thread title from my phone. "opener" is on a seperate line from "Jones suspended for season"

Anyway, I heard it must be a prescription drug. Otherwise the standard for narcotics or PED is four games.

H

HardRightEdge

Not a big loss, that's for sure.
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

The base front is looking like Boyd - Raji - Daniels to start out, which is where it was going even with Jones. Pennel's strictly a NT. A rookie or Gaston (a redshirt rookie) will have to take some rotational snaps until Guion returns.

But who's going to play 3 tech in nickel and dime on those 65 - 70% of the snaps? Daniels some, but he can't take every snap and he's needed in base. He was in for about 63% last season, which is about right. Neal some, but he's undersized and not fit for the job except in spot rotation. Peppers? He worked there occasionally last season. The problem with that is Matthews ILB work last year was in nickel; a reprise of that plan would be undone with Peppers at 3-tech because that would make Perry and Neal the front line edge rushers in nickel.

Jones has taken a lot of criticism, from me as much as anybody else from the get go, because you expect to get a 3-down player out of the first round. He's not that. But as a rotational player rushing inside he has some value; it can be worse.

Excluding Peppers, the best nickel DTs on this squad are Daniels, Guion and Jones. We're down to one.

Oh, sure, some rookie will step up, right? Maybe, maybe not. Sticking a rookie in with talented veterans on either side (see Linsley) can work out. But how would we assess this D-Line talent outside of Daniels? I think you know where I'm heading with this.

H

HardRightEdge

I wish I had not seen this thread title from my phone. "opener" is on a seperate line from "Jones suspended for season"

Anyway, I heard it must be a prescription drug. Otherwise the standard for narcotics or PED is four games.
Some prescription drugs are narcotics. Adderall is a prescription drug that is not a narcotic and guys get more than one game for that. Marijuana is not a narcotic and fits into none of your categories unless it's prescribed in a state that allows it.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The base front is looking like Boyd - Raji - Daniels to start out, which is where it was going even with Jones. Pennel's strictly a NT. A rookie or Gaston (a redshirt rookie) will have to take some rotational snaps until Guion returns.

But who's going to play 3 tech in nickel and dime on those 65 - 70% of the snaps? Daniels some, but he can't take every snap and he's needed in base. He was in for about 63% last season, which is about right. Neal some, but he's undersized and not fit for the job except in spot rotation. Peppers? He worked there occasionally last season. The problem with that is Matthews ILB work last year was in nickel; a reprise of that plan would be undone with Peppers at 3-tech because that would make Perry and Neal the front line edge rushers in nickel.

Jones has taken a lot of criticism, from me as much as anybody else from the get go, because you expect to get a 3-down player out of the first round. He's not that. But as a rotational player rushing inside he has some value; it can be worse.

Excluding Peppers, the best nickel DTs on this squad are Daniels, Guion and Jones. We're down to one.

Oh, sure, some rookie will step up, right? Maybe, maybe not. Sticking a rookie in with talented veterans on either side (see Linsley) can work out. But how would we assess this D-Line talent outside of Daniels? I think you know where I'm heading with this.

Hopefully we get something out of Kyrie Thornton. Based on his work during last year´s training camp that´s unlikely though.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I wonder if there´s a possibility that Letroy Guion won´t be suspended at all. Normally the NFL hand down suspensions for offseason incidents well before training camp. The league doesn´t announce them before the appeal process has been completed. According to Guion´s agent there hasn´t been anything to appeal for Guion though as of yesterday.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps. Perhaps not.

It's only for 1 game and Guion hasn't been suspended. (yet)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully we get something out of Kyrie Thornton. Based on his work during last year´s training camp that´s unlikely though.
Took new father in law lambeau 2 weeks ago. Car pulls up and kyrie hops out to walk over to shake hands and talk to a bunch of kids. Datone then walks out of building and joins him. I am now rooting even more for both these guys.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not a big loss, that's for sure.
Not a big loss but a loss IMO. In his season-ending report card column McGinn gave him a C-:
He averaged 25 snaps in 15 games, primarily as an interior rusher in sub. As the lightest and fastest of the D-linemen, Jones' lead in pressures per snap (one every 23.4) should have been expected.
Jones needs to get stronger (without losing his pass rush ability) to justify his first round status. If he does it will have been a big loss. The only good news is the opener is against the Bears and they should be able to beat them without Jones – and Guion.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...eport-card-defense-b99431313z1-289706171.html

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if there´s a possibility that Letroy Guion won´t be suspended at all. Normally the NFL hand down suspensions for offseason incidents well before training camp. The league doesn´t announce them before the appeal process has been completed. According to Guion´s agent there hasn´t been anything to appeal for Guion though as of yesterday.
The following link from April examines the Guion situation in light of the Bell/Blount suspensions:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...n-packers-letroy-guion-traffic-stop-marijuana

In particular, Blount was suspended one game for marijuana possession. This suspension is in keeping with the league's lighter hand in THC cases as evidenced by the modified THC testing regime that more than doubles the infracting threshold.

Blount had his criminal charges dropped in lieu of community service; Guion had his criminal charges dropped in lieu of a $5,000 fine.

It would stand to reason Guion would get a minimum of a one game suspension, perhaps two games because of the quantity of marijuana involved, as noted in this link.

However, that analysis was written 3 months ago. Greg Aiello has twice said the case is under review since the criminal case was resolved with the fine. I haven't seen anything regarding the outcome of the civil forfeiture case.
Some of these southern jurisdictions, and this looks to be one of them, are more about pleading out criminal charges in exchange for seizing assets than ascertaining the facts of the case and meting proper justice.

As I conjectured earlier, it could be that he's in the NFL "program" and the league wants to see him hit some benchmarks before making a decision given the amount of "personal" quantity involved.

Or it could be a case of the league waiting to review the outcome of the civil forfeiture case where the actual facts of the case are more likely to come to light. Perhaps the NFL is performing it's own private investigation.

In any event, it would shocking if the NFL said "never mind" on the most benign interpretation: that Guion was caught with 13 oz. of Mary Jane with all other considerations dropped.

H

HardRightEdge

The Guion plot thickens. From two hours ago:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-p...o-basis-for-new-civil-suit-against-packers-dt

Now he has a civil suit being brought on a physical altercation in 2013 including "pushing" his baby mama. We all know the league's new found sensitivity to domestic violence.

Also, the civil forfeiture case has not been resolved as of yet where the facts of the case will likely be more thoroughly explored than in the criminal cash-grab proceedings.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The following link from April examines the Guion situation in light of the Bell/Blount suspensions:

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2...n-packers-letroy-guion-traffic-stop-marijuana

In particular, Blount was suspended one game for marijuana possession. This suspension is in keeping with the league's lighter hand in THC cases as evidenced by the modified THC testing regime that more than doubles the infracting threshold.

Blount had his criminal charges dropped in lieu of community service; Guion had his criminal charges dropped in lieu of a $5,000 fine.

It would stand to reason Guion would get a minimum of a one game suspension, perhaps two games because of the quantity of marijuana involved, as noted in this link.

However, that analysis was written 3 months ago. Greg Aiello has twice said the case is under review since the criminal case was resolved with the fine. I haven't seen anything regarding the outcome of the civil forfeiture case.
Some of these southern jurisdictions, and this looks to be one of them, are more about pleading out criminal charges in exchange for seizing assets than ascertaining the facts of the case and meting proper justice.

As I conjectured earlier, it could be that he's in the NFL "program" and the league wants to see him hit some benchmarks before making a decision given the amount of "personal" quantity involved.

Or it could be a case of the league waiting to review the outcome of the civil forfeiture case where the actual facts of the case are more likely to come to light. Perhaps the NFL is performing it's own private investigation.

In any event, it would shocking if the NFL said "never mind" on the most benign interpretation: that Guion was caught with 13 oz. of Mary Jane with all other considerations dropped.

It´s possible that Blount was in the league´s substance abuse program before being caught with marijuana while Guion wasn´t. It´s possible the NFL is waiting for the outcome of the civil forfeiture case but I´m surprised the league hasn´t informed the Packers and the player about a suspension by now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Guion plot thickens. From two hours ago:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=guion+civil+forfeiture+case

Now he has a civil suit being brought on a physical altercation in 2013 including "pushing" his baby mama. We all know the league's new found sensitivity to domestic violence.

Also, the civil forfeiture case has not been resolved as of yet where the facts of the case will likely be more thoroughly explored than in the criminal cash-grab proceedings.

The link you´ve provided above doesn´t lead to the story you´re talking about in the post though.

H

HardRightEdge

It´s possible that Blount was in the league´s substance abuse program before being caught with marijuana while Guion wasn´t. It´s possible the NFL is waiting for the outcome of the civil forfeiture case but I´m surprised the league hasn´t informed the Packers and the player about a suspension by now.
Perhaps.

But what the Blount and Guion cases have in common is they were busted. That goes to the "conduct unbecoming" provision.

Whether one wants to consider the NFL's stance to be cynical or not, a single failed "substance abuse" test is not made public and there is no PR stain. Getting busted moves the matter from the CBA provisions of the double secret probation program to the public eye, and into the league office's interpretation of "conduct unbecoming".

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers must be really hard up for Dline help. Guion has too much baggage. Why do we need this aggravation?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say, I'm not to concerned about this latest allegation against Guion. Something just seems like a money grab and a chance to kick a guy when he's down by someone with a vendetta. Maybe not, but I'm guessing not much comes of it.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Took new father in law lambeau 2 weeks ago. Car pulls up and kyrie hops out to walk over to shake hands and talk to a bunch of kids. Datone then walks out of building and joins him. I am now rooting even more for both these guys.

Congrats on your apparent nuptials. Or was it your mother-in-law that got married?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts