Datne Jones

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rob Demovsky, Packers will decline the fifth-year option on Datone Jones...the final stop in a forgettable three year period of first round picks for the Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The fifth-year option would have paid him $6.757 million, kind of a no brainer not to exercise it. But I don't necessarily think that means this is his final year in GB, nor am I ready to call him a bust.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Rob Demovsky, Packers will decline the fifth-year option on Datone Jones...the final stop in a forgettable three year period of first round picks for the Packers.

Perry and Jones would tease us on occasion, they'd make some splash plays and leave us thinking maybe now is the time maybe now theyre getting it... before going back to irrelevance. What Nick Perry did against the Skins last year was just ridiculous, but thats just when he's healthy. I wonder if Perry isn't one of those guys who blew up and got too big once they got into the NFL, maybe he needs to be locked out of the weight room and strongly encouraged to shed 5-10 pounds. His ligaments might do better with a little less muscle around them and his feet might be better with a little less weight on them.

Here he is with USC,

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Looks like he has a great football build. But now here he is in Green Bay:

Am I seeing things or does it look like he hulked out? Bear in mind, in the bottom picture he's not even wearing pads.

I'm not seeing things, his playing weight at USC was 250. Maybe the extra 15 pounds explains why he can't stay healthy, just too much bulk.

D

Deleted member 6794

It was pretty obvious the Packers won't pick up the fifth year option for Datone after him mostly being a part time player for three years. There's some hope the coaching staff moving him to outside linebacker will make him more productive though and possibly being re-signed next offseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Jones will make a Tony Brackens type transformation? Maybe he'll be better playing around 270.

H

HardRightEdge

Have you looked at the dollar amount attached to that option? There's a wide middle area between busted and gone vs. a fat one year paycheck.

I'm not a fan of Jones. I did not like the pick to start with, and I've seen little to recommend the guy beyond rotational play. But as we saw with Perry, declining the option does not necessarily mean he will not be in the Packer future.

Hey, he could make a couple plays in the playoffs and they'll sign him for $5 mil. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Perry and Jones would tease us on occasion, they'd make some splash plays and leave us thinking maybe now is the time maybe now theyre getting it... before going back to irrelevance. What Nick Perry did against the Skins last year was just ridiculous, but thats just when he's healthy. I wonder if Perry isn't one of those guys who blew up and got too big once they got into the NFL, maybe he needs to be locked out of the weight room and strongly encouraged to shed 5-10 pounds. His ligaments might do better with a little less muscle around them and his feet might be better with a little less weight on them.

Here he is with USC,

Looks like he has a great football build. But now here he is in Green Bay:

Am I seeing things or does it look like he hulked out? Bear in mind, in the bottom picture he's not even wearing pads.

I'm not seeing things, his playing weight at USC was 250. Maybe the extra 15 pounds explains why he can't stay healthy, just too much bulk.
That's pretty interesting, but I wonder if that USC picture and their listed weight is from prior to his senior year. The colleges are like the pros; they can go years before updating a weight in the official roster.

The reason I suggest this is he weighed in at 283 lbs. at the Combine. Going from 250 to 283 in a matter of a couple of months would be one h*ll of a lot of pork chops. That's 33 lbs. by the way, not 15, and I would not be surprised if he's tipping closer to 290 in that Packer picture.

Since we were given the word he would be playing OLB, he certainly got that message. You'd expect that message came with a directive to slim down.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish. I never thought of him as a 3-4 DE. 4-3 DE yes, and the team blew him up past 300. Now he's worthless. If he did slim back down to 280ish(when he was a Rookie) he probably could flash some production. Never liked Perry, maybe he can be trade fodder down the stretch.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting, but I wonder if that USC picture and their listed weight is from prior to his senior year. The colleges are like the pros; they can go years before updating a weight in the official roster.

The reason I suggest this is he weighed in at 283 lbs. at the Combine. Going from 250 to 283 in a matter of a couple of months would be one h*ll of a lot of pork chops. That's 33 lbs. by the way, not 15, and I would not be surprised if he's tipping closer to 290 in that Packer picture.

Since we were given the word he would be playing OLB, he certainly got that message. You'd expect that message came with a directive to slim down.

Even so he's always look more ripped and hulked up since being in Green Bay than he generally did in College. Overbuilt sometimes translates to beING oft injured.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Good riddance to bad rubbish. I never thought of him as a 3-4 DE. 4-3 DE yes, and the team blew him up past 300. Now he's worthless. If he did slim back down to 280ish(when he was a Rookie) he probably could flash some production. Never liked Perry, maybe he can be trade fodder down the stretch.
He didn't go anywhere. Just not guaranteed a $6m +salary next season. FA instead.
The trade deadline is around end of Oct / early Nov. Hardly "down the stretch." Who'd trade for someone that'll be a FA at the end of the season? Especially Perry?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who thought he would be a 3 down de from day 1, is cracked imo. i hope (like Perry) this works out to him coming back for a reasonable contract, with a saving to GB. Versus taking the 5th year option and paying him big soon after...

Perry and Jones BOTH were projects IMO. Despite their 1st round status. but they are just now coming around...

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If only the Packers could draft non-sh!tty defensive linemen in the first three rounds of the draft, they wouldn't need to keep drafting defensive linemen in the first three rounds of the draft.

Last edited:

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anyone who thought he would be a 3 down de from day 1, is cracked imo. i hope (like Perry) this works out to him coming back for a reasonable contract, with a saving to GB. Versus taking the 5th year option and paying him big soon after...

Perry and Jones BOTH were projects IMO. Despite their 1st round status. but they are just now coming around...

You must've missed Jon Gruden's raging draft day ***** when the Packers drafted Datone Jones.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/article/ZZ/20130425/NEWS/130428153

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if TT decided to trade all his first rd picks and get extra 3rd and 2nd rd picks the rest of his tenure as Gm here? Id Be ok with that. He stinks at drafting in the first rd. Especially d linemen. He wasted two 1st rd picks on college linemen who they wanted to play backer.

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if TT decided to trade all his first rd picks and get extra 3rd and 2nd rd picks the rest of his tenure as Gm here? Id Be ok with that. He stinks at drafting in the first rd. Especially d linemen. He wasted two 1st rd picks on college linemen who they wanted to play backer.

He hasn't been great in the first round but the last two first rounds produced haha and Randall. I am very happy with that. Also Datone is a college lineman who they wanted to play on the line but has been moved to olb because he hasn't developed in the run stopping area

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He hasn't been great in the first round but the last two first rounds produced haha and Randall. I am very happy with that. Also Datone is a college lineman who they wanted to play on the line but has been moved to olb because he hasn't developed in the run stopping area

So why take a guy who can't stop the run or probably cover out in space and make him an olb? That makes absolutely no sense. This move is just another way to try to save face. Dhaytone Jones was NEVER a good fit in GB and neither was Perry.

Remember Aaron Kampman?? He was an ELITE player on our defense for years and durable. But sense he was considered to "small" to play on the line they ruined him by putting him at olb. He never got the chances Perry has gotten before he was jettisoned off. He was a wayyyyy better player to...I bet not a single person in here will argue against that. He wasn't a TT guy tho so he didn't get the chances that TT gives the guys he drafts. If anyone should've been extended it should've been guys like Woodson and Jenkins.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
So why take a guy who can't stop the run or probably cover out in space and make him an olb? That makes absolutely no sense. This move is just another way to try to save face. Dhaytone Jones was NEVER a good fit in GB and neither was Perry.

Remember Aaron Kampman?? He was an ELITE player on our defense for years and durable. But sense he was considered to "small" to play on the line they ruined him by putting him at olb. He never got the chances Perry has gotten before he was jettisoned off. He was a wayyyyy better player to...I bet not a single person in here will argue against that. He wasn't a TT guy tho so he didn't get the chances that TT gives the guys he drafts. If anyone should've been extended it should've been guys like Woodson and Jenkins.
Kampman left because his contract expired and he wanted to play DE not OLB.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Datone can rush the passed and he will get chances to do that outside. Jones looked like a good fit when he was drafted but he didn't pan out. When Jones was drafted many analysts said he was perfect fit for the gb defense. I remember a guy on the radio saying Jones might win defensive Roy. Obviously they all seem wrong but many thought he fit. Perry was widely questioned. With jones They are trying him at olb to see if he can provide value to the team there. He gives position flexibility which this staff loves.

Not sure what the point is with Kampman. He wanted to leave. Perry has struggled to be healthy but when healthy has shown he can play. He might have been our best defender on the redskins playoff game.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes. Or Mike Neal as another example
Remember Neal was suspended for performance enhancing drugs. It's a chicken or egg question for which we do not have a definitive answer. Could he no longer hold the weight without chemical assistance so they moved him OLB? One thing we do know...he came back from suspension a noticeably smaller man.

Last edited by a moderator:

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman left because his contract expired and he wanted to play DE not OLB.

Exactly my point thanks. Perry has been quoted before saying he wanted to play defensive end NOT olb..his contract expired as well..yet he was given an extension?? TT will over pay and over extend for his guys bust it not. I'll rest my case now.

D

Deleted member 6794

HRE, do you realize the guy in the pictures is Nick Perry and not Datone Jones??? ;)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafted in the first round, has played more like a fifth-rounder. He's made some nice plays on occasion, but far too often you forgot he was on the field. To this point, he's been "just a guy", without significant production. Frankly, we can get what he has given from UDFA's like Jayrone Elliott.

Perhaps the move to elephant backer will yield better things from him. It's a contract year, so motivation should not be a problem.

Members online

Latest posts