Daryn Colledge

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers would have been better off passing on 2nd round project OT Daryn Colledge and picking up a RB instead.

OP
OP
B

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thetombradyhater said:
I think if we hadn't traded down so much we could have snagged a top lineman in the second round (ex Deuce latui)

When TT selected Colledge higher rated prospects were still on the board.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:
I think the Packers would have been better off passing on 2nd round project OT Daryn Colledge and picking up a RB instead.

I know this is unpopular, but if TT would have signed Wahle in '05, he wouldn't have to experiment with Franken-lineman to fill the holes on the O-Line.

I think the Pack desperately need another veteran receiver. Jennings, as good as he is, is still a rookie, and that concerns me.

OP
OP
B

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
I know this is unpopular, but if TT would have signed Wahle in '05, he wouldn't have to experiment with Franken-lineman to fill the holes on the O-Line.

I think the Pack desperately need another veteran receiver. Jennings, as good as he is, is still a rookie, and that concerns me.

I agree, I think TT should have at least kept Mike Wahle. The Packers have needed another veteran WR for many years now. It seems like they are reluctant on giving Brett Favre any weapons at WR.

They dumped Andre Rison when they had him cheap with 2 years left on his contract and look how fast they dumped Terry Glenn. Glenn had 56 catches with 30+ being for 1st downs, a chain mover.

How many WR's during MS "rein of terror" caught 56 passes in a season?

kewlbeans

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never understood why we didn't keep Glenn. But we did at the time have what looked to be like a log jam of talent and a very bright future at the WR spot.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a lil too soon to get on Colledge as some kind of bad draft pick. We'll see what happens from here on out, but I think the Oline will be better then alot of people think. That's just my opinion. I have faith in Jags and Philbin to get these guys ready. From some accounts this Oline looks pretty mean and nasty on film. That's at least a start.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kewlbeans said:
I never understood why we didn't keep Glenn. But we did at the time have what looked to be like a log jam of talent and a very bright future at the WR spot.

I'll never understand why anyone liked Ferguson. Favre whom never wants to badmouth a teammate said in Ferg's rookie year that he didn't know if Ferg was ever going to "get it" when it came to an NFL offense. Ferg is a good blocker as a reciever and that's about where it ends. I remember Joe Thiesman making a fool of himself when he said in 2004 that we had the best trio of recievers in the league, yet the colts trio all had 1000 yard seasons in one year.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BoydAvery said:

maurice drew or lendale white would have been nice!!!

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could have had Chris Chambers instead of Ferguson. We let Glenn go when he had 800 yards. We let Wahle go when we had nothing to replace him. Colledge I think will work out but the jump from Boise state to NFL is big.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
We could have had Chris Chambers instead of Ferguson. We let Glenn go when he had 800 yards. We let Wahle go when we had nothing to replace him. Colledge I think will work out but the jump from Boise state to NFL is big.

Isn't the jump from western michigan to the NFL suppose to be big, too? We didn't let Glenn go we traded him away. Which, IMO, was the wrong thing to do. Imagine if he and Favre had more time to develope chemistry. We could have Glenn, Driver, and Jennings right now. But that is hindsight I admit. Since the last person I asked this question to didn't want to answer and I'm asking as a sincere question...how were we suppose to keep Wahle?

Reaction score
Cory said:
Favre whom never wants to badmouth a teammate said in Ferg's rookie year that he didn't know if Ferg was ever going to "get it" when it came to an NFL offense.

However Favre has said some great thigns about Ferggy after that too, such as how he (Ferggy) worked hard to get better, made tremendous strides, etc.

IMO Colledge might be a surprise pick that does something other than originally expected.I believe that he will a back-up LT and given Clifton's shaky performances thus far, and given the fact he doesn't look like him old self in games, Colledge as the LT might be a welcome edition. The injuries have hurt us, but I think Colledge is our future LT and that if Cliffy goes down or is inefective, Colledge will look like a great selection. Overall, I can't omplain for the simple fact that he gives us depth at a position which desperately needed it.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Cory said:
kewlbeans said:
Favre whom never wants to badmouth a teammate said in Ferg's rookie year that he didn't know if Ferg was ever going to "get it" when it came to an NFL offense.

However Favre has said some great thigns about Ferggy after that too, such as how he (Ferggy) worked hard to get better, made tremendous strides, etc.

IMO Colledge might be a surprise pick that does something other than originally expected.I believe that he will a back-up LT and given Clifton's shaky performances thus far, and given the fact he doesn't look like him old self in games, Colledge as the LT might be a welcome edition. The injuries have hurt us, but I think Colledge is our future LT and that if Cliffy goes down or is inefective, Colledge will look like a great selection. Overall, I can't omplain for the simple fact that he gives us depth at a position which desperately needed it.

Can't argue with that for sure. At the very least he gives up depth at a position where we really haven't had depth for a long time. Not to mention he will be learning both left side positions. He will become a very very valuable player to have IMO.

OP
OP
B

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dhpackr said:
BoydAvery said:

maurice drew or lendale white would have been nice!!!

We saw a guy last week briefly with Atlanta who was picked up in the 3rd round, RB Jerious Norwood out of Mississippi State. This kid is doing very well with the Falcons, 24 carries for 145 yds (6 yd avg) with 3 catches for 77 yds.

No doubt if TT has an eye for talent Packers could have grabbed a decent young RB even to learn behind Green.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's an "eye for talent" issue. He just felt he needed to address the guard position.

But for the record, I suggested drafting Denver's current starting HB Mike Bell in the 5th-7th. (He went undrafted and is Denver's starter.)

There was a lot of HB talent in this draft. I am surprised TT didn't nab one.

OP
OP
B

BoydAvery

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I don't think it's an "eye for talent" issue. He just felt he needed to address the guard position.

But for the record, I suggested drafting Denver's current starting HB Mike Bell in the 5th-7th. (He went undrafted and is Denver's starter.)

I think TT should have definately grabbed someone at RB. If Green goes down the Packers are stewed. If Green stays healthy a kid could learn behind him. Let's face it, Green's days are numbered.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn,
We could have had Barry Sanders instead of Tony Mandarich!!!

What is the point of all this could of should of, I've said it before, I have not agreed with everything TT has done, but he is being paid to do a job and he is definately doing it his way!!!

Support the team that is the 2006 Packers, all this should of could of crap is just that.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
BoydAvery said:
kmac said:

I think TT should have definately grabbed someone at RB. If Green goes down the Packers are stewed.

why? I personally think Green can still be effective unlike somepeplpe but even if Green does get hurt or is uneffective Gado was very good at the end of last year so its not the end of the world

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's easy to look back and say, Why take Colledge? Definately and right now it looks like a bad pick but in time if he does end up being what they think he can be, it might not be that bad of a pick. Word is he has looked very sharpe at tackle in practices and is probably the top backup there. So at least we have depth at tackle now so it's not a total lost. I still believe he's a great fit for the system and in time he'll end up being the player they had hoped for. That is just my opinion.

Yes we could of went elsewhere but I also remember a lot of people complaining that we should of taken Chad Jackson instead of trading down and getting Greg Jennings. Jennings has been nothing but impressive and Jackson hasn't seen the field yet in New England. So you win some and you lose some. Far to early to count Colledge out for anything but right now looking back a running back like Maurice Drew or Brian Caulhon would of looked nice.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your assessment porky88, especially with Clifton sticking 5 lbs of ice on each knee after every practice. You never know when you need your backup to come in and produce. If Colledge is nothing more than insurance at the tackle spot this season, I'll be ok with that. He'll be a contributor on the Packers line someday and I believe it will be sooner than later.

Members online

Latest posts