Darren Sharper Out In Minny???????????

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SHARPER OUT IN MINNY?

Vikings safety Darren Sharper, who was signed after being jettisoned by the Packers two seasons ago, could now be on his way out of Minnesota.

Sharper was benched in the fourth quarter of the Vikings' loss to the Rams after St. Louis running back Steven Jackson broke free for a touchdown run that pushed the score to 41-7.

Regarding whether he'll be back, Sharper said: "I don't know. I'd like to, but that's never up to me to make that decision. I'm under contract, so I guess I'd say I am coming back. Until I'm told differently. We'll see. . . . Whenever you don't finish a game out and you want to be out there playing, you always raise questions about [the future]."

The Vikings' 6-10 record, featuring a pathetic 2-8 finish after a 4-2 start, gave Sharper the first losing record of his entire career.

"Ten years and I've never had a losing record, and that's something," he said. "That's kind of hard this year to deal with that, end of season, seeing 6-10. That's terrible. I've never experienced that and don't want to experience it again."

Sharper feels his future as Viking clouded by final game
The 10-year-veteran safety was benched in the final quarter for the first time in his career and wonders what is ahead for him.
By Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
Last update: December 31, 2006 – 9:55 PM
Printer friendly
E-mail this story
Save to del.icio.us

Vikings
Coach casts frosty aura

Vikings: Finale might be opportunity for some

Access Vikings blog: Team MVPs named

Harris hopes to stay with Vikings

Fantasy Reality: The best and worst of 2006
Vikings safety Darren Sharper questioned his future with the franchise Sunday after being benched for the first time in his 10-year NFL career during the Vikings' 41-21 loss to St. Louis in their regular-season finale.
Sharper, in his second season with the Vikings, was lifted in the fourth quarter in favor of rookie Greg Blue after the Rams' Steven Jackson raced 59 yards for a touchdown that gave St. Louis a 41-7 lead. Sharper said he was surprised by the move and no explanation was given. "It doesn't matter, I'll find out soon enough," he said.

Although the Jackson touchdown run might have looked like the reason Sharper was pulled, Blue had been told at the beginning of the fourth quarter that he would be taking over at strong safety. Plus, Sharper was playing in the deep middle when Jackson broke free, meaning there were plenty of other Vikings who could have made the tackle.

"When you're the last guy back there, you have nine, 10 guys in front of you so it shouldn't really get back to you," Sharper said. "That's what I've always been told."

Blue, a fifth-round pick by the Vikings last April, could be a candidate to replace Sharper, 31, as the Vikings' starter at strong safety in 2007. Blue started two games this season and played the entire season opener at Washington in place of Dwight Smith, who was inactive for disciplinary reasons.

Sharper signed a four-year contract with the Vikings in 2005 and is scheduled to make a base salary of $2.9 million next season and $3.9 million in 2008. Asked if he expects to return, Sharper said: "I don't know. I'd like to, but that's never up to me to make that decision. I'm under contract, so I guess I'd say I am coming back. Until I'm told differently. We'll see."

He later added, "Whenever you don't finish a game out and you want to be out there playing, you always raise questions about [the future]."

Sharper, who spent his first eight seasons in Green Bay before joining the Vikings as a free agent, tied his career high with nine interceptions last season and made the Pro Bowl for the third time in his career. But playing in defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin's new defense this season, Sharper's interception total fell to four. A free safety for much of his career, he was considered the strong safety in the Vikings defense.

"I feel it's a good scheme, and I can play in any scheme," Sharper said when asked if Tomlin's defense fit his skills. "It just takes a while to adjust. ... I've been in systems where I've been put in positions to make plays. When you've been doing something for so long, having a chance to be free, having a chance to pretty much do what you want to, freelance, just go after the football, it just takes a little time. I definitely learned a lot this year as far as the scheme. I can be successful in any scheme."

Sharper's frustration Sunday was exacerbated by the fact that the Vikings' 6-10 finish marks his first time on a team that finished with a losing record since being a second-round choice by Green Bay in 1997.

"Ten years and I've never had a losing record, and that's something," he said. "That's kind of hard this year to deal with that, end of season, seeing 6-10. That's terrible. I've never experienced that and don't want to experience it again."

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Since we have Collins, I'd take Sharper back at a reasonable price. Sharper was at his best with a solid safety next to him.

Collins, Sharper
Woodson, Harris

I think that would be formidable to say the least.

Reaction score
Is Sharper still reliable though?

I mean if he is gonna be a marginal upgrade over Manuel, I'd rather go with Underwood.

MU may struggle early, but the thing is his skills aren't gonna diminish anytime soon and you'd have to think he'd improve with experience.

Reaction score
DUDE WTF, I submit my post, come back to this page, then click on "Forum Index" and you've already replied.... :|

lol yeah but I'd have to type in nfl.com or packers.com after I'd tilted my chair back and put my feet up...

It's 4 in the morning, can't blame me for being lazy lol.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Don't you use tabbed browsing? Always have six pages up. Always.

Packers.com NFL.com PFT.com PH.com CNN.com and ESPN.com

The seventh tab is for going through the net. Site to site to site, same tab though.

Reaction score
I finally got Firefox (OMG, IT'S FRIGGIN AWSOME.... wasted my life with IE) and I am still playing around with it..... not sure how to get a new tab to actually open up in a predetermined website.

BUT YEAH, FIREFOX KICKS MICROSOFT OUT OF TOWN!

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Childress said before the game he was going to put some rookies and practice squad players out there to see what they can do.
Sharper might have been replaced in the 4th regardless.

Still, it's very apparent that Childress doesn't tweak his system to the current players strength, he expects the player to adjust to his system.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want Sharper back. He'll blow just as many big plays as Manuel. Not really an upgrade especially since he is slowing down.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I finally got Firefox (OMG, IT'S FRIGGIN AWSOME.... wasted my life with IE) and I am still playing around with it..... not sure how to get a new tab to actually open up in a predetermined website.

BUT YEAH, FIREFOX KICKS MICROSOFT OUT OF TOWN!

I love firefox and am using it now. I used the new IE7 but it was pretty slow to me. I use the tabbed browsing with this forum.

:chest:

abztractmynd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
firefox owns.

oh ya...sharper sucks. he was arrogant enough to want more money...let his career rot on another team.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
firefox owns.

oh ya...sharper sucks. he was arrogant enough to want more money...let his career rot on another team.

He took less money with the Vikings than the Packers were offering.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Less? He must have really hated us then. I say go with Underwood.

He was scheduled to make an enormous amount, the Packers offered to restructure the deal, Sharper refused, was cut, signed with the Vikings for what turned out to be less than what the Packers restructuring offer was.

I think Sharper had his feelings hurt at the restructure of the contract the team gave him and he signed and felt disrespected.

Basically, it was the opposite of Javon Walker in terms of contract.

Packers gave him a contract, player agreed to it, the team later wanted to restructure and the player did not.

Just like the Javon case, player and team parted ways.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and in both cases, the player acted like a retard. Less money? I didn't know that(cuz i stopped caring about sharper when he left)..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
and in both cases, the player acted like a retard. Less money? I didn't know that(cuz i stopped caring about sharper when he left)..

I could understand Sharper being upset. They gave him the contract, then wanted to re-do it. Just like I'm against Javon for going against what he freely signed, the Packers went against what they freely offered to Sharper.

The comments Sharper made after he's left, uncalled for.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
more or less money good for him....

he didnt get anything done in minny other then pad his stats...

ChrisC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the "contribution" Sharper made to Donald Driver's stats this season ;) And his invaluable interpretation of Brett's signals :rotflmao:

Don't want Sharper back - he's on the downside. But we do need to find help at safety, whether in house, or (gulp!) another FA.

Chris

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget the "contribution" Sharper made to Donald Driver's stats this season ;) And his invaluable interpretation of Brett's signals :rotflmao:

Don't want Sharper back - he's on the downside. But we do need to find help at safety, whether in house, or (gulp!) another FA.

Chris
I agree Chris! He's on the downside, and he burned alot of bridges on his way out of Green Bay..........(almost as many as the times HE was burned!)
Sharper also went to Minny cause he thought they were closer to a Super Bowl then GB.
Ha ha! Jokes on him!!! :thumbsup:

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I was glad to be rid of Sharper, and I still am. The only problem is that Thompson has not found an adequate replacement for him.

BINK! <--- You hear that? Sounds like Greg C. hitting the nail on the head.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts