Darrell Stuckey (S, Kansas University)

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft is loaded with talent at the safety position and stuckey is no exception. His scouting profile amazes me and he has the most positives listed under his name than most safetys in this draft. Although he's listed as a free safety I question his transition to strong since that is where we need help. Here is his scouting profile from CBS, I highlighted the ones that I thought will make or break his career:

Read & React: Reads the quarterback's eyes, anticipates underneath throws and has the range to get to deep throws. Strong enough to strip the ball from a receiver's hands to prevent completions. Reacts quickly and aggressively when coming up from the deep half or seeing the ball in trash.

Man Coverage: Needs work staying with receivers in man coverage. Stays low in pedal, but is slow and choppy. Average height for a safety, and might struggle covering taller NFL tight ends man-to-man. Has enough arm length to reach across a receiver to knock a ball away without interfering.

Zone Coverage: Attacks sideline patterns from the hash mark. Intimidator in the deep half who will throw a big shoulder or pound and wrap receivers over the middle. Uses his hands to avoid or get off tight end and lineman blocks in trash. Will make quarterbacks pay for bird-******* or overthrowing receivers by reading the throw and making the tough catch. Loses the ball in his zone when playing in the second level.

Closing/Recovery: Good closing speed to the ball, and accelerates into the receiver when playing deep. Takes the correct angle to make a play on the ball or prevent the big play after a catch. Has a good feel for the blitz, waits for an opening and comes downhill hard. Fast enough to recover if he takes a false step, but will miss tackles when he lowers his head.

Run Support: Quickly fills holes against the run when used around the line of scrimmage. Flies through the line on stretch plays and around the tackle to get a hand on backs trying to find a lane. Usually around the pile to clean up tackles or push ballcarriers back to prevent the extra yard. Typically runs around blocks to the ball, but will throw his body into a lineman to stuff a gap.

Tackling: Explosive tackler who will plant backs and receivers coming into his area. Attempts to strip the ball while wrapping up and will get his helmet on the ball. Not the biggest or strongest defender. Usually lowers his head when making open-field tackles. Somehow gets enough to bring ballcarriers down, but will also get run over and whiff against elusive NFL veterans.

Intangibles: Excellent character and work ethic. Sets and leads the defense on the field and contributes to the community away from it. Will be a special teams leader on coverage and return units.

He sounds like another Darren Sharper coming out of college. Does have room to grow and I won't be dissapointed if we pass up on the other safteys such as Burnett, Chad/Reshad Jones, Rolle in order to get this kid. He doesn't have a lengthy highlight tape but here is his best performance of the season:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpJi50ZeSw]YouTube - Darrell Stuckey OWNS Mizzou[/ame]

claybillings

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just wish I could see more tape. Correct me if I am wrong but that was over a year ago, I would like to know what he did in 2009.

turbo69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he is another Darren Sharper. Well.....Sharper is now available. Lets pay him for a year.......and draft this guy in the 4th.

Members online

Latest posts