Darius Shepard

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Packers sign NDSU WR Darius Shepard. I think this kid has a good shot of making the team. Overall good route runner coming from the slot, but most importantly could be the PR this team needs. WR depth is insane on this team. I honestly have no idea who makes the team after DA, GA, MVS and EQ.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
The Packers have a lot of receivers on their offseason roster but the quality of the group isn't insane by any means.
I tend to disagree with that. MVS and EQ played pretty well for rookies in MM/AR’s potentially confusing offense. If you think back to Davante Adams and Randall Cobb’s rookie seasons, they were both pretty comparable. Granted there were receivers on both of those rosters ahead of DA and Cobb. MVS and EQ were relied on more than expected due to injury. I think what MVS and EQ did last year was rather impressive for rookies. If their ceilings are Davante Adams and Randall Cobb over the next two years, I would say we’re in good shape. It depends on what they make of their year 2, but overall I like what I saw in year 1.

D

Deleted member 6794

I tend to disagree with that. MVS and EQ played pretty well for rookies in MM/AR’s potentially confusing offense. If you think back to Davante Adams and Randall Cobb’s rookie seasons, they were both pretty comparable. Granted there were receivers on both of those rosters ahead of DA and Cobb. MVS and EQ were relied on more than expected due to injury. I think what MVS and EQ did last year was rather impressive for rookies. If their ceilings are Davante Adams and Randall Cobb over the next two years, I would say we’re in good shape. It depends on what they make of their year 2, but overall I like what I saw in year 1.

It's true that both MVS and EQ had solid rookie campaigns in 2018. That doesn't change the fact that Adams is the only proven receiver currently on the roster. While some of the youngsters could definitely develop into reliable weapons I don't consider the talent being anywhere close to insane as long as that hasn't happened.

OP
OP
RepStar15

RepStar15

Reaction score
It's true that both MVS and EQ had solid rookie campaigns in 2018. That doesn't change the fact that Adams is the only proven receiver currently on the roster. While some of the youngsters could definitely develop into reliable weapons I don't consider the talent being anywhere close to insane as long as that hasn't happened.
Your 100% correct in that the WRs on the roster are not proven with the exception of DA of course. But I meant more that the depth is insane. While in previous years we always had 3 talented WRs starting, the depth was a massive concern. The second one WR went down the offense turned upside down, which is why we had to make mid season signings like James Jones. With the exception of DA, I don’t think if anyone goes down there is a massive drop off in production at all, I think it would almost be a seamless transition. It’s different than what we are used to with the Packers offense. If DA stays healthy, I think by the end of the season the Packers will have the strongest roster of WR talent. Not to mention what establishing a running attack will do.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the WR group is very deep in potential, yet shallow in proven experience. Only 1 WR in the group, that I have 100% confidence in what he will bring to the field every game he suits up. The rest of these guys, I am cautiously optimistic that they all will continue to improve and be solid, but it also wouldn't shock me if any of them aren't in Packer uniforms in a year or two. Now the positive news, this is about the cheapest group of #2 - #6 WR's you will probably find in the NFL.

I also would be far less confident in this group if #12 wasn't our QB.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

With the exception of DA, I don’t think if anyone goes down there is a massive drop off in production at all, I think it would almost be a seamless transition. It’s different than what we are used to with the Packers offense. If DA stays healthy, I think by the end of the season the Packers will have the strongest roster of WR talent. Not to mention what establishing a running attack will do.

I agree that there won't be a huge drop-off in performance if a wide receiver other than Adams has to miss some time but in my opinion unfortunately that is mostly due to the lack of an established #2 or slot receiver and not because the Packers have an abundance of talent at the position. It would be a huge surprise if the team ends up having a receiving corps anywhere close to the top ones in the league at the end of 2019.

In addition the jury is still out about the Packers having an established running game this season as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Shepherd had a crazy high share of his team's overall passing offense in 2018 and he was a dangerous punt returner. But he's a below average athlete coming out of the FCS, so it remains to be seen if he will translate to the NFL level.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We went through this before with he who shall not be named. We have a lot of WRs and they have a lot of potential but none are proven. If by depth you mean number then yes it may be insane because we do have a lot of guys but I tend to think of depth as more than just numbers.

I like our group for the potential and I am fairly confident one or more will take the next step but if Adams goes down I am not overly confident any of them can step up and take over the role. I mean no one stepped up and grabbed the role of #2 last year so I don't expect any of them to take over the #1 role if they have to.

As far as being a seamless transaction if anyone other than DA goes down I don't know that that is necessarily a good thing. If one average WR goes down replacing him with another average WR doesn't hurt but it doesn't help. I certainly hope one of them takes command of the #2 role (and I think one of them will) so that by the end of the season we can say we have Adams,?????, and a bunch of other guys who showed potential instead of we have Adams and a bunch of other guys that showed potential.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Some background:

North Dakota State is a serious FCS powerhouse. They have won 7 of the last 8 FCS championships. They legitimately compete with Power 5 teams when given the chance. If they were in the BIG10 tomorrow, they're probably finish in the middle of that conference.

The Bison are very run heavy. In 2018, for example, they ran the ball 670 times and threw it only 290. So receiving stats are suppressed just by virtue of the system.

From 2015-2017, Shepherd averaged 42 receptions, 592 yards, and 4 touchdowns.

In 2018, he caught 62 passes for 1065 yards and 9 touchdowns. These marks led the team in receiving categories by a huge margin. The next highest in receptions had 23. The next highest in receiving yards had 389. The next highest in receiving touchdowns had 8 (a TE who caught 14 passes total), but the next highest wide receiver had 1.

His punt return production makes him interesting. For his career, he's returned 44 punts for 578 yards and 1 touchdown (13.1 YPR). In 2018, he returned 19 punts for 296 yards (15.6 YPR).

So his production was fantastic. Athleticism is where he fails to impress. He came in at his pro day:

5'10 186 lbs
4.57-4.61 forty (29th%)
35.5" vertical (~50th%)
7.13 three cone (~17th%)

So he is a highly productive receiver who is undersized, below average athletically, and making the jump from the FCS level. That will make him an interesting test case. These quicker than fast slot types sometimes don't test well, but end up being productive (Jamison Crowder comes to mind). So we'll see.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
maybe he can be the guy who finally knocks janis off the roster...maybe.

Not sure if you said that Tongue in Cheek, but Janis has been off the roster since the Packers decided not to resign him over a year ago (March 2018). Cleveland signed him and he was released. Jeff is currently enjoying retirement.

Maybe some are holding out hope that he will be our next James Jones, signed in an emergency to save the season? :rolleyes::eek::geek::roflmao:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't this have gone in the UDFA thread?:rolleyes:

Little concerning that we have like 15 WRs on the 90-man roster. I would have rather Gute just used one of our 6ths or 7th on a WR, but maybe the league destroyed his board, who's to say.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't this have gone in the UDFA thread?:rolleyes:

Little concerning that we have like 15 WRs on the 90-man roster. I would have rather Gute just used one of our 6ths or 7th on a WR, but maybe the league destroyed his board, who's to say.

You're just looking for things to complain about now.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somebody's gotta keep you guys are your toes....

The production I like, but when it's at the FCS level I always put an asterisk, plus it was only one season really. Take my top FCS prospect in Keelan Doss, who had 4000 yds rec over 4 years. That's what I look for, consistent dominating performances. But maybe they're just fishing for a Davis replacement who might can actually play some WR. But he's lighter than Cobb and slower, so I question how effective he can actually be. But might be a half-decent injury guy.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Somebody's gotta keep you guys are your toes....

The production I like, but when it's at the FCS level I always put an asterisk, plus it was only one season really. Take my top FCS prospect in Keelan Doss, who had 4000 yds rec over 4 years. That's what I look for, consistent dominating performances. But maybe they're just fishing for a Davis replacement who might can actually play some WR. But he's lighter than Cobb and slower, so I question how effective he can actually be. But might be a half-decent injury guy.

UCD also had anywhere from 100-300 more pass attempts per season in their offense from 2015-18.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
ugh!! i mean davis. damn...that's twice lately i've got names mixed up.

I actually think its easy to confuse the 2, they both seem to be on the same career path. Can't make it as a WR, find a niche as a special teamer and stick around a few extra years because of it. nothing really wrong with that, have to have guys that are good on special teams, always just a bonus when those players can also provide decent depth at a position as they develop.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's a fantasy article, the link below provides an analysis of how rare it is for a WR that wasn't invited to the combine to accomplish something as a receiver in the NFL. Now, it says nothing about his ability as a returner, but he's going to have to be a very rare exception to become anything as a receiver.

http://www.rotoviz.com/2016/02/67471/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts