Dantes 2022 Draft Thread

Todd Princl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How happy would Aaron Rodgers be if we were able to get both Treylon Burks and Drake London in the first and trade up in the second with a third to draft TE Trey McBride.
It sounds a little crazy, but man would that be fun.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here, I'll try my hand at these "mock drafts" that the kids keep talking about.
  1. JAC: A. Hutchinson, ED, UM-- Chalk pick with good reason.
  2. DET: T. Walker, ED, UGA-- My theory is that the Willis noise is meant to drive a trade up.
  3. HOU: E. Neal, OT, UA-- Texans want to build around Mills to see what they have in him.
  4. NYJ: K. Thibodeaux, ED, OR-- Jets need edge help and there's a tier break after Thibs.
  5. NYG: I. Ikwonu, OT, NCSU-- Pretty confident that the Giants would take "the other tackle" here.
  6. CAR: M. Corral, QB, MISS-- Wonder is the lack of buzz on Corral right now is actually telling.
  7. NYG: J. Johnson, ED, FSU-- The Giants don't have a true edge threat pass rusher right now.
  8. ATL: A. Gardner, CB, CIN-- The Falcons should just take whatever elite talent falls to them.
  9. SEA: M. Willis, QB, LIB-- Seattle obviously needs to start over and Willis could support a run-heavy vision.
  10. NYJ: D. Stingley, CB, LSU-- Saleh's defense favors length at corner and Stingley has that over McDuffie.
  11. WAS: K. Hamilton, S, ND-- Hamilton's slide ends here; elite prospect at a non-premium position.
  12. MIN: T. McDuffie, CB, WAS-- Minny gets the last of the top corners for Pettine to ruin.
  13. HOU: G. Wilson, WR, OSU-- Again, Texans need pieces so they can figure out who Mills is.
  14. BAL: J. Davis, iDL, UGA-- This pick just feels like a slam dunk.
  15. PHI: D. London, WR, USC-- Not high on London, but the best version of him complements Devonta Smith.
  16. PHI: D. Lloyd, LB, UTAH-- There's a need and I suspect that by draft day, Lloyd will be #1 with a bullet.
  17. LAC: C. Cross, OT, MSU-- The Bolts need to figure out RT.
  18. NO: T. Penning, OT, UNI-- Why not replace one high end FCS tackle with another?
  19. PHI: G. Karlaftis, ED, PUR-- Karlaftis deserves to go higher than this; Philly could use youth at ED.
  20. PIT: K. Pickett, QB, PITT-- I think the hand-size thing is legit, but otherwise Pickett would be an upgrade.
  21. NE: J. Williams, WR, UA-- The Pats want a deep threat (hence, Agholor) and love Alabama players.
  22. GB: D. Wyatt, iDL, UGA-- After losing Keke, the Packers could use a 3T and this DT is shallow.
  23. ARI: C. Olave, WR, OSU-- The Cards use a ton of WR's and lost 1700 snaps worth in Green and Kirk.
  24. DAL: A. Booth, CB, CLEM-- The depth at corner behind Diggs is not very promising.
  25. BUF: Z. Johnson, G, BC-- Not sure if Bills' GM would take iOL rd. 1, but it fills an immediate need.
  26. TEN: K. Green, G, TAMU-- Both guard spots are weak for the Titans.
  27. TB: B. Hall, RB, IAST-- Low positional value, but the Bucs will be prioritizing instant on-field impact.
  28. GB: T. Burks, WR, ARK-- Packers eschew typical RAS preference for a YAC weapon.
  29. KC: J. Dotson, WR, PSU-- Chiefs continue reloading after trading away Tyreek Hill.
  30. KC: K. Gordon, CB, WAS-- KC turns now to the secondary, where they need an infusion of talent.
  31. CIN: D. Ojabo, ED, UM-- With fairly strong roster, Cincy gets the 5th year option on a long term investment.
  32. DET: D. Ridder, QB, CIN-- Lions snag Ridder in the first round to secure the 5th year.

My main question after this exercise is whether including 4 QB's is going to look really stupid. I've seen bad QB classes where a bunch went round one anyways (e.g. the Christian Ponder year) and I've seen bad QB classes where they all fall out.

Big names that missed out:

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa: Once I got past the blue chip prospects, I just couldn't match him with a center needy team, and with his lack of length, I don't think he really has versatility to play anywhere else.

Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia: I kept him in mind as I moved down the board, but never found a fit that felt right. This is just a hunch, but I'm wondering if the media is higher on him than the league. An undersized guy like him could look pretty good pretty easily playing behind that front.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m completely fine not taking a WR in the first.

I doubt they do it, but I’d be fine with it.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hope that they take something other than WR at #22 just so that I can watch the meltdown.
I'm pretty confident this might happen. I think with how stacked the IDL and Edge class are, if someone falls that fits our scheme, I'm sure we'll pull the trigger. If we don't trade, I honestly don't want to double up on wide receiver. It's more important to take advantage of the talent available.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here, I'll try my hand at these "mock drafts" that the kids keep talking about.
  1. JAC: A. Hutchinson, ED, UM-- Chalk pick with good reason.
  2. DET: T. Walker, ED, UGA-- My theory is that the Willis noise is meant to drive a trade up.
  3. HOU: E. Neal, OT, UA-- Texans want to build around Mills to see what they have in him.
  4. NYJ: K. Thibodeaux, ED, OR-- Jets need edge help and there's a tier break after Thibs.
  5. NYG: I. Ikwonu, OT, NCSU-- Pretty confident that the Giants would take "the other tackle" here.
  6. CAR: M. Corral, QB, MISS-- Wonder is the lack of buzz on Corral right now is actually telling.
  7. NYG: J. Johnson, ED, FSU-- The Giants don't have a true edge threat pass rusher right now.
  8. ATL: A. Gardner, CB, CIN-- The Falcons should just take whatever elite talent falls to them.
  9. SEA: M. Willis, QB, LIB-- Seattle obviously needs to start over and Willis could support a run-heavy vision.
  10. NYJ: D. Stingley, CB, LSU-- Saleh's defense favors length at corner and Stingley has that over McDuffie.
  11. WAS: K. Hamilton, S, ND-- Hamilton's slide ends here; elite prospect at a non-premium position.
  12. MIN: T. McDuffie, CB, WAS-- Minny gets the last of the top corners for Pettine to ruin.
  13. HOU: G. Wilson, WR, OSU-- Again, Texans need pieces so they can figure out who Mills is.
  14. BAL: J. Davis, iDL, UGA-- This pick just feels like a slam dunk.
  15. PHI: D. London, WR, USC-- Not high on London, but the best version of him complements Devonta Smith.
  16. PHI: D. Lloyd, LB, UTAH-- There's a need and I suspect that by draft day, Lloyd will be #1 with a bullet.
  17. LAC: C. Cross, OT, MSU-- The Bolts need to figure out RT.
  18. NO: T. Penning, OT, UNI-- Why not replace one high end FCS tackle with another?
  19. PHI: G. Karlaftis, ED, PUR-- Karlaftis deserves to go higher than this; Philly could use youth at ED.
  20. PIT: K. Pickett, QB, PITT-- I think the hand-size thing is legit, but otherwise Pickett would be an upgrade.
  21. NE: J. Williams, WR, UA-- The Pats want a deep threat (hence, Agholor) and love Alabama players.
  22. GB: D. Wyatt, iDL, UGA-- After losing Keke, the Packers could use a 3T and this DT is shallow.
  23. ARI: C. Olave, WR, OSU-- The Cards use a ton of WR's and lost 1700 snaps worth in Green and Kirk.
  24. DAL: A. Booth, CB, CLEM-- The depth at corner behind Diggs is not very promising.
  25. BUF: Z. Johnson, G, BC-- Not sure if Bills' GM would take iOL rd. 1, but it fills an immediate need.
  26. TEN: K. Green, G, TAMU-- Both guard spots are weak for the Titans.
  27. TB: B. Hall, RB, IAST-- Low positional value, but the Bucs will be prioritizing instant on-field impact.
  28. GB: T. Burks, WR, ARK-- Packers eschew typical RAS preference for a YAC weapon.
  29. KC: J. Dotson, WR, PSU-- Chiefs continue reloading after trading away Tyreek Hill.
  30. KC: K. Gordon, CB, WAS-- KC turns now to the secondary, where they need an infusion of talent.
  31. CIN: D. Ojabo, ED, UM-- With fairly strong roster, Cincy gets the 5th year option on a long term investment.
  32. DET: D. Ridder, QB, CIN-- Lions snag Ridder in the first round to secure the 5th year.

My main question after this exercise is whether including 4 QB's is going to look really stupid. I've seen bad QB classes where a bunch went round one anyways (e.g. the Christian Ponder year) and I've seen bad QB classes where they all fall out.

Big names that missed out:

Tyler Linderbaum, C, Iowa: Once I got past the blue chip prospects, I just couldn't match him with a center needy team, and with his lack of length, I don't think he really has versatility to play anywhere else.

Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia: I kept him in mind as I moved down the board, but never found a fit that felt right. This is just a hunch, but I'm wondering if the media is higher on him than the league. An undersized guy like him could look pretty good pretty easily playing behind that front.

Honestly, I almost tie the number of QBs that go before 22 on whether or not GB goes WR there. I see QB as the other position besides WR that could have a quick run on - in a weaker class arguably once one drops the FOMO (fear of missing out) syndrome will hit a few teams. I mean the Niners moved up to get a guy with ONE YEAR of experience in Lance (at North Dakota State nonetheless)...these guys are at least far more experienced and ready than Lance was - not to take away from Lance projections however.

With each QB taken before ups the odds of Karlaftis or Wyatt falling to us AND Gute's chosen WR to do so as well (whomever that is).

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I really hope that they take something other than WR at #22 just so that I can watch the meltdown.
I would absolutely love it. Would love to see an IDL, Edge or Safety taken with our first two picks.
I still think we need someone to supplant Savage as the starter at Safety by the beginning of the 23 season. Heck, we may have to replace Amos by that time as well.

I suspect the WR/TE/RB will come in rounds 2,4 and 7.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would absolutely love it. Would love to see an IDL, Edge or Safety taken with our first two picks.
I still think we need someone to supplant Savage as the starter at Safety by the beginning of the 23 season. Heck, we may have to replace Amos by that time as well.

I LOVE Daxton Hill enough to make him a first round pick by us anywhere. Is 22 early for him, arguably yes. However, he can play anywhere and covers excellently - I have him as my S2 (Cine is 3 by a decent margin and he is a good player). I concur that we will need to replace one or the other after this season, Savage and Amos combo is in its last year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I LOVE Daxton Hill enough to make him a first round pick by us anywhere. Is 22 early for him, arguably yes. However, he can play anywhere and covers excellently - I have him as my S2 (Cine is 3 by a decent margin and he is a good player). I concur that we will need to replace one or the other after this season, Savage and Amos combo is in its last year.
Would definitely like to see the staff find someone on the current roster that can reduce Savage's snap count. He's just another in a line of Packer safeties that can't cover TE's. We've gotten bludgeoned by TE's going all the way back to Olson, Rudolph and Witten.
We also need an instinctive ball hawk on the back end that can get us 5-7 int's every year

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Firming up a 1st round cluster.

Assuming to be off the board: Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson, Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Wilson, London, Davis, Gardner, Stingley, Lloyd, Hamilton, and at least one QB. That's fifteen players.

In rough order of preference:

1. Treylon Burks, WR, ARK: Receiver is a pressing need both now and in the future. Burks isn't going to replace Adams' role as volume precision route runner, but I do think he can soak up touches in a variety of ways (outside, inside, screen game, carries, etc.).

2. Devonte Wyatt, iDL, UGA: While Jarran Reed helps mitigate the immediate need for rotational help here, there are only 2 DL on the roster through 2023 (Clark and Slaton); Wyatt would add a penetrating skill-set that isn't otherwise on the roster in the long term.

3. George Karlaftis, ED, PUR: I don't think he will be there, but Karlaftis is the only edge that I can see possibly falling to GB that would be too good to pass on. The need for depth is real, but the starters are set for at least the next two seasons. The other options at edge are either old (Mafe, Ebiketie) or injured (Ojabo).

4. Trevor Penning, OT, UNI: Penning is a huge OT prospect with great feet, but he's also a little older (23 in May) and coming out of the FCS. There's also a caveat here-- I don't think they would or should do this if they plan for Jenkins to be the future at RT. However, if the plan is to keep Jenkins at guard, then they need a future RT.

5. Jahan Dotson, WR, PSU: Dotson could help immediately and in a variety of ways-- inside, outside, X, Z, YAC, all three levels, return game.

6. Zion Johnson, OL, BC: Zion Johnson is the other side of the coin-- he's project at guard, but played both guard and tackle in college. He's got the length and feet to play outside. But if the Packers think he's exclusively interior, I don't think they'd make the pick.

7. Logan Hall, DL, HOU: Hall is a super long 3T/5T who could give you some snaps now and provide much needed help on the line in the immediate future.

8. George Pickens, WR, UGA: Pickens is a true boundary X who would probably be a more highly rated prospect if he hadn't missed a large portion of 2021.

9. Jaquan Brisker, S, PSU: If the board gets really cleaned out, Brisker would serve as a quality 3rd safety who would also be the heir apparent to Amos.

10. Travis Jones, iDL, UCONN: DL is a slight need in the present and a huge one down the road, and this DL class is shallow. Jones' skill set isn't quite as complementary to the current personnel as some other guys, but he's a talented interior player.

Reaction score
I’ve cemented myself in that if Wyatt or Karlaftis is there we I don’t care what WR is there I’m picking them.
I agree with that. Although I wouldn’t be immune to packaging a 4th and our #28 and moving up several spots #24-#25 etc.. and nailing our WR.

Thank you @Dantés for letting us put our crap in your storage locker!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Assuming to be off the board: Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Walker, Johnson, Neal, Ekwonu, Cross, Wilson, London, Davis, Gardner, Stingley, Lloyd, Hamilton, and at least one QB. That's fifteen players.

1. Treylon Burks, WR, ARK: Receiver is a pressing need both now and in the future. Burks isn't going to replace Adams' role as volume precision route runner, but I do think he can soak up touches in a variety of ways (outside, inside, screen game, carries, etc.).

2. Devonte Wyatt, iDL, UGA: While Jarran Reed helps mitigate the immediate need for rotational help here, there are only 2 DL on the roster through 2023 (Clark and Slaton); Wyatt would add a penetrating skill-set that isn't otherwise on the roster in the long term.

3. George Karlaftis, ED, PUR: I don't think he will be there, but Karlaftis is the only edge that I can see possibly falling to GB that would be too good to pass on. The need for depth is real, but the starters are set for at least the next two seasons. The other options at edge are either old (Mafe, Ebiketie) or injured (Ojabo).

4. Trevor Penning, OT, UNI: Penning is a huge OT prospect with great feet, but he's also a little older (23 in May) and coming out of the FCS. There's also a caveat here-- I don't think they would or should do this if they plan for Jenkins to be the future at RT. However, if the plan is to keep Jenkins at guard, then they need a future RT.

5. Jahan Dotson, WR, PSU: Dotson could help immediately and in a variety of ways-- inside, outside, X, Z, YAC, all three levels, return game.

6. Zion Johnson, OL, BC: Zion Johnson is the other side of the coin-- he's project at guard, but played both guard and tackle in college. He's got the length and feet to play outside. But if the Packers think he's exclusively interior, I don't think they'd make the pick.

7. Logan Hall, DL, HOU: Hall is a super long 3T/5T who could give you some snaps now and provide much needed help on the line in the immediate future.

8. George Pickens, WR, UGA: Pickens is a true boundary X who would probably be a more highly rated prospect if he hadn't missed a large portion of 2021.

9. Jaquan Brisker, S, PSU: If the board gets really cleaned out, Brisker would serve as a quality 3rd safety who would also be the heir apparent to Amos.

10. Travis Jones, iDL, UCONN: DL is a slight need in the present and a huge one down the road, and this DL class is shallow. Jones' skill set isn't quite as complementary to the current personnel as some other guys, but he's a talented interior player.

Dude I swear it is very rare we disagree on groups as a whole and such, it is only ever mor ethe micro level zooming in. I put Burks #3 but honestly of those others I probably would find myself putting Daxton Hill in place of Brisker and probably Boye Mafe in place of Jones - but dang that's a VERY similar grouping to what I'd list out if I had to.

I am curious your thoughts on Kenyon Greene? Versatile weapon along the A&M front everywhere but center, has 34 plus inch arms but didn't exhibit the athleticism many felt he should have. It seems most expect him to leave in the first round - and given our similar minds often (especially at OL) I was curious if you have him out of your 1st round consideration like I do?

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Dude I swear it is very rare we disagree on groups as a whole and such, it is only ever mor ethe micro level zooming in. I put Burks #3 but honestly of those others I probably would find myself putting Daxton Hill in place of Brisker and probably Boye Mafe in place of Jones - but dang that's a VERY similar grouping to what I'd list out if I had to.

I am curious your thoughts on Kenyon Greene? Versatile weapon along the A&M front everywhere but center, has 34 plus inch arms but didn't exhibit the athleticism many felt he should have. It seems most expect him to leave in the first round - and given our similar minds often (especially at OL) I was curious if you have him out of your 1st round consideration like I do?

I like Daxton Hill, but I don't think it would work well to have another undersized/underpowered guy next to Savage. If you look at him more like nickel safety, you'd talking about taking Alexander, Stokes, or Douglas off the field and I don't think that would be a great use of resources.

I like Mafe, but he will turn 24 during his rookie season and he was a late bloomer. I'm leery of guys who only came on when they were one of the oldest players on the field. And just generally, I don't like the idea of a guy who will be 28 after his 5th year option season.

From what I understand, Green struggled when he had to play tackle. He also went way over their traditional threshold in the SS. So I'd say probably not.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Daxton Hill, but I don't think it would work well to have another undersized/underpowered guy next to Savage. If you look at him more like nickel safety, you'd talking about taking Alexander, Stokes, or Douglas off the field and I don't think that would be a great use of resources.

I like Mafe, but he will turn 24 during his rookie season and he was a late bloomer. I'm leery of guys who only came on when they were one of the oldest players on the field. And just generally, I don't like the idea of a guy who will be 28 after his 5th year option season.

From what I understand, Green struggled when he had to play tackle. He also went way over their traditional threshold in the SS. So I'd say probably not.

I get the Hill not matching up well.

I do have some Day 3 safeties I really like with much more size.

One intriguing thing I'd have to really watch tape on is Tariq Woolen....DUDE has INSANE abilities and athleticism.....his size and speed makes me picture him roaming the backend. If I am Gute and think he could succeed there, imagine it!

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Seems I was mistaken about Ebiketie being an older prospect. He should definitely garner round 1 consideration.

Karlaftis apparently ran a 4.71 forty and 6.78 three cone at his pro day. I don’t know if he will, but in this class he deserves to go top 10.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems I was mistaken about Ebiketie being an older prospect. He should definitely garner round 1 consideration.

Karlaftis apparently ran a 4.71 forty and 6.78 three cone at his pro day. I don’t know if he will, but in this class he deserves to go top 10.

Arnold is a beast and honestly besides Drake Jackson are to me the two biggest fits Edge wise for being a Packer type guy.

Karlaftis is a freak hybrid Edge that can easily and perhaps even live flexed inside at times. I will release my Top 50 prospects hopefully this week and I think his grading will shock folks IMO. It's why I believe if he makes it to 22 I'd arguably ignore any and all WRs on the board.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
McBride in the mid 4.5’s. I think he’s a clear TE1. He would make a lot of sense for GB if the slotting works out.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Arnold is a beast and honestly besides Drake Jackson are to me the two biggest fits Edge wise for being a Packer type guy.

Karlaftis is a freak hybrid Edge that can easily and perhaps even live flexed inside at times. I will release my Top 50 prospects hopefully this week and I think his grading will shock folks IMO. It's why I believe if he makes it to 22 I'd arguably ignore any and all WRs on the board.
If Karlaftis gets past 15 - I would go get him and if Olave gets to 17 I Go get him (one or the other). Olave reminds me so much of Marvin Harrison

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Karlaftis gets past 15 - I would go get him and if Olave gets to 17 I Go get him (one or the other). Olave reminds me so much of Marvin Harrison

I wouldn’t be mad at anyone with this logic. I prefer Burks over Olave but it isn’t even by 1% or more. Lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For Gb I prefer Burks. I actually have Olave ranked higher because dude will produce I think regardless of where he goes

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My preferences would be Treylon Burks or Chris Olave as the receiver pick, but I'd be okay with Skyy Moore as well (although preferably later). Lots of interesting prospects in all the positions, though. If Stingley fell to the 20s, for instance, I wouldn't be mad about the meme-ness of selecting a CB for the umpteenth time. Lots of interesting edge guys, but most of them figure as either low-ceiling Montez Sweat types or situational pass rusher/non-early down types.

Members online

Latest posts