1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

"Dandy" Don Meridith passes...literally.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by OldSchoolFan, Dec 6, 2010.

1. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    For those of you who have no idea who he was, Meridith was the Dallas Cowboy's quarterback during the Packers "glory years" in the 60's. He was quarterbacking during the 1966 NFL championship game in Dallas, and the 1967 "Ice Bowl" in Green Bay. Of course the Packers won both of those games and went on to win the first two Super Bowls.

Us old timers also remember him as part of the original cast of "Monday Night Football" when it premiered back in 1970.

He was entertaining, a great competitor,and I wish him rest.

Legendary Cowboys, SMU quarterback Don Meredith dies | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Breaking News for Dallas-Fort Worth | Dallas Morning News

2. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,427
    Rest in peace, great one! I was certainly not alive when he was playing but as a football fan, I've heard of him. Thou shalt be made immortal in the glory of football. Wishing comfort and many prayers for his family and loved ones.

3. JBlood

JBlood Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Meredith nearly beat us twice in the NFL Championship games of '66 and '67. He was a solid QB and very young when he quit playing. He was the most enjoyable guy in the booth for Monday night football. Apparently he had a brain hemorrhage, so I hope his death was a peaceful one. Heaven will be a more interesting place with him there.

4. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +307
    In David Marranis's, "When Pride Still Mattered" Marranis wrote that Lombardi thought so much of the gunslinger from SMU, that he offered his old "coachmate" Tom Landry the choice of any two players on the 1960 Packer roster for Meredith. Lombardi had been the offensive coordinator and Landry had been the defensive coordinator while they both were at the New York Giants.
    Of course, after the 1959 season, he was still uncertain of his quarterback situation, and Bart Starr had yet to show his magic.

It makes you kinda wonder what if....

5. aaronqb

aaronqb Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +73
    retire

6. LAG

LAG Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +164
    oh yeah, I remember Dandy Don along with Frank and Howard Cosell on mnf.

RIP

7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,098
    the title made me chuckle.

I think he will be remembered for as much of his playing as his commentating on MNF

8. PackersFan28

PackersFan28 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    He was a great guy. RIP

9. Green_Bay_Packers

Green_Bay_Packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +111