Dan Carpenter released by the Dolphins...

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rumor has it that the real reason why he was released was because he loudly objected to the dolphins new logo.
I don't blame him.
I liked the one with the helmet on too.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Living in south Florida, I've had the opportunity to watch Dan Carpenter first hand for the last few years.

We'd be getting ourselves right back into the same situation. Bad idea.

Vladimirr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Worse? Statistically, maybe not. But Dan has built himself up a reputation of missing field goals when it really counts. It's completely anecdotal, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I remember him missing more important field goals than Mason. With MC, you're left analyzing after the game "boy, we could have used those three points midway through the second quarter". With DC, he misses when everything's immediately on the line.

My stepson is a huge Dolphin fan, and when we talked about Carpenter getting released, his reaction was "Yeah, that's great news. I don't know why they didn't do it sooner."

The most recent game that comes to memory is last year vs. the Jets (their biggest rival), when he had a chance to open the lead up to 7 in the 4th quarter, but he missed. Then he had the chance to kick the game winner in overtime in the same game, and he missed again. If Crosby missed two field goals to lose us a game versus the Bears, I'm pretty sure he would have been tarred and feathered, then tossed in Lake Michigan.

Just my two cents. Living in a house of Dolfans (worst name ever for a fanbase?) I have to watch Miami as many games a year as the Pack. The last Packer that made me yell obscenities at the TV as much as Carpenter, was Favre.

(Then again, the last time he made a FG that really counted - vs. the Packers in that 2010 OT game - I was yelling obscenities at him for making the kick.)

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Think any talks from Joe Philbin to MM about releasing him?

Not before hand, but when they released him any phones calls between the two?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Worse? Statistically, maybe not. But Dan has built himself up a reputation of missing field goals when it really counts. It's completely anecdotal, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I remember him missing more important field goals than Mason. With MC, you're left analyzing after the game "boy, we could have used those three points midway through the second quarter". With DC, he misses when everything's immediately on the line.

My stepson is a huge Dolphin fan, and when we talked about Carpenter getting released, his reaction was "Yeah, that's great news. I don't know why they didn't do it sooner."

The most recent game that comes to memory is last year vs. the Jets (their biggest rival), when he had a chance to open the lead up to 7 in the 4th quarter, but he missed. Then he had the chance to kick the game winner in overtime in the same game, and he missed again. If Crosby missed two field goals to lose us a game versus the Bears, I'm pretty sure he would have been tarred and feathered, then tossed in Lake Michigan.

Just my two cents. Living in a house of Dolfans (worst name ever for a fanbase?) I have to watch Miami as many games a year as the Pack. The last Packer that made me yell obscenities at the TV as much as Carpenter, was Favre.

(Then again, the last time he made a FG that really counted - vs. the Packers in that 2010 OT game - I was yelling obscenities at him for making the kick.)

I seroiusly doubt that DC has had a slump that lasted damn near half a season? Or cost us 39 points in one season? He may be bad, but not as bad as crosby is.......

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Honestly we are better off bringing in some fresh out of college kickers and trying them out.

H

HardRightEdge

Worse? Statistically, maybe not. But Dan has built himself up a reputation of missing field goals when it really counts. It's completely anecdotal, and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I remember him missing more important field goals than Mason.

Mason Crosby kicked a game winning 42 yard field goal at the gun in his first NFL game.

As of November 18, 2010, he had 3 other chances at game winners and missed all of them...from 53, 52 and 38, the last a block.

I vaguely recall an important make in 2011, but I could be mistaken.

So, Carpenter may have missed more important field goals because he's tried more important field goals. As for Crosby, lack of opportunity, distance, a block can be rationalized, but in the end his clutch record is not good.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seroiusly doubt that DC has had a slump that lasted damn near half a season? Or cost us 39 points in one season? He may be bad, but not as bad as crosby is.......

It's called a slump, and Longwell had one just like it at one point.

Reaction score
David Akers was super accurate and what not a year - then the next year the guy was Mason Crosby like....

so, idk.... Draft a Blair Walsh type in next year's draft or something.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, he did. You don't remember 2001 too well, do you?
fine he went 1-3 from 50 plus. Crosby was 2-9!!!! Most of Longwell's career was 80 plus percent, Crosby's BEST season reflected close to Longwell's AVERAGE. So by your reasoning, Crosby is just as accurate as Longwell was?
Truth be told, I shiver every time Crosby lines up. When Longwell lined up, I always had the feeling he was going to make it. I wonder why that is? It is because Crosby isn't on the same PLANET as Longwell.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this kind of funny: Jolly went and did dangerous drugs multiple times, and everyone is rooting for him.
Mason Crosby struggled mightily for half a season and nobody seems to want to give him a second chance on this forum.

I don't know guys, it looked like he at least deserved a chance at a roster spot last night.. or was he really that bad? If I can remember right he's now made 22/24 kicks since family night?

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I find this kind of funny: Jolly went and did dangerous drugs multiple times, and everyone is rooting for him.
Mason Crosby struggled mightily for half a season and nobody seems to want to give him a second chance on this forum.

I don't know guys, it looked like he at least deserved a chance at a roster spot last night.. or was he really that bad? If I can remember right he's now made 22/24 kicks since family night?

This is pretty simple - Jolly can help the team, Crosby will not. Crosby really is that bad.

Latest posts