Damn....I hate to say this but Dallas did good...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
UDFA signings made my head keep looking at Dallas this year and shaking my head with a "Dangit...wanted that one..."

This happened so much it made me look up there haul from draft and UDFA....those that spent time researching and studying prospects will find this haul IMPRESSIVE.

Shoot the UDFA group alone has 7 top 100 PFF ranked prospects...

Draft Class
#24 Tyler Smith OT Tulsa
#56 Sam Williams OLB/EDG Ole Miss
#88 Jalen Tolbert WR South Alabama
#129 Jake Ferguson TE Wisconsin
#155 Matt Waletzko OT North Dakota
#167 DaRon Bland CB Fresno State (Doubs tore this team's secondary apart...just a note :) )
#176 Damone Clark LB LSU
#178 John Ridgeway DT Arkansas
#193 Devin Harper LB Oklahoma State

UDFA Haul (PFF UDFA rank)
Martkquese Bell S Florida A&M (PFF 28)
Isaac Taylor-Stuart CB USC (PFF67)
Big Kat Bryant OLB/EDGE UCF
Ty Fryfogle WR Indiana
Jaquarii Roberson WR Wake Forest
Peyton Hendershot TE Indiana
Alec Lindstrom C Boston College (PFF 19)
Malik Davis RB Harvard
Juanyeh Thomas S Georgia Tech (PFF 40)
Jonathan Garibay K Texas Tech
La'Kendrick Van Zandt S TCU
Aaron Hansford LB Texas A&M (PFF 37)
Storey Jackson LB Liberty
Mike Tafua LB Utah
Aaron Shampklin RB Harvard
Donatario Drummond WR Ole Miss (PFF 32)
Dennis Houston WR Western Illinois
James Empey C BYU (PFF 59)
Amon Simon OL Texas A&M Commerce

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT is my problem, I'm still drafting as if McCarthy were still the coach!! :) I would've had 1 correct in Amish's draft contest AND would've hit on 1 UDFA picks (that I had in the 7th). Can't believe I'm still mentally wired into McCarthy-ism!! :(

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT is my problem, I'm still drafting as if McCarthy were still the coach!! :) I would've had 1 correct in Amish's draft contest AND would've hit on 1 UDFA picks (that I had in the 7th). Can't believe I'm still mentally wired into McCarthy-ism!! :(

I don't think McCarthy played much into TT's draft tendencies...some maybe but TT wasn't one to move off his mindset based on much else than what he believed.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think McCarthy played much into TT's draft tendencies...some maybe but TT wasn't one to move off his mindset based on much else than what he believed.
I think Thompson took his scouts very seriously. It's on the coaching staff to make the best use of the talent the GM brings in. IMO, McCarthy failed in his later years because he wouldn't get rid of Capers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You really think so? I'm not very impressed.

Tyler Smith is a ball of clay. He could be good, but he won't be right away unless it's inside at guard. He's not a disciplined player. He led this OL class in penalties and he was playing at Tulsa. He's a typical case of a day 2 player getting pushed up the board at OT.

Sam Williams is another talented Dallas edge rusher with off-field problems. How has that track record worked out for them? They spent years investing in Randy Gregory only to have him bail as soon as he became valuable.

Tolbert is a good pick-- no argument there.

I don't like the chances of anyone else in their class to have an NFL impact unless Damone Clark somehow gets back to pre-injury form.

I'd give their draft like a D+ or C-.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tyler Smith is a ball of clay. He could be good, but he won't be right away unless it's inside at guard. He's not a disciplined player. He led this OL class in penalties and he was playing at Tulsa. He's a typical case of a day 2 player getting pushed up the board at OT.

Sam Williams is another talented Dallas edge rusher with off-field problems. How has that track record worked out for them? They spent years investing in Randy Gregory only to have him bail as soon as he became valuable.

I don't like the chances of anyone else in their class to have an NFL impact unless Damone Clark somehow gets back to pre-injury form.

Their UDFA list is what caught my eye as my post eludes to vastly more than even their draft...which is a solid B-/C+ IMO.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you sign 19 UDFAs even Dallas is bound to get a few decent ones.

Reaction score

I’m not sure it was that bad, but they needed much more help than we did. The Packers got 4-5 players that will contribute early imo. Also that includes ST
Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Whisky, Whatsup.. ok ok.. I completely fabricated the last couple guys to keep it light n airy in here. :)

I don’t see more than 2-3 guys on that Dallas list who will possibly get early roles and substantial production. It looks like a bunch of guys who get backup roles and either have injuries or off field concerns (Dallas is gambling).

One other thing I’d point out that has absolutely nothing to do with your post, lol. Is that where did these draft grades come from? Yours is probably more in line with reality. If the league mean is a “C”. How do 31 teams score above a C? I’m employing our draft professor for a rating curve as the average is clearly a B or B+ based on all the grades I’m being handed out.

Either that or we are all possibly grading our own papers, which is really quite scary!
I give the Packers an A+

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I’m not sure it was that bad, but they needed much more help than we did. The Packers got 4-5 players that will contribute early imo. Also that includes ST
Walker, Wyatt, Watson, Whisky, Whatsup.. ok ok.. I completely fabricated the last couple guys to keep it light n airy in here. :)

I don’t see more than 2-3 guys on that Dallas list who will possibly get early roles and substantial production. It looks like a bunch of guys who get backup roles and either have injuries or off field concerns (Dallas is gambling).

One other thing I’d point out that has absolutely nothing to do with your post, lol. Is that where did these draft grades come from? Yours is probably more in line with reality. If the league mean is a “C”. How do 31 teams score above a C? I’m employing our draft professor for a rating curve as the average is clearly a B or B+ based on all the grades I’m being handed out.

Either that or we are all possibly grading our own papers, which is really quite scary!
I give the Packers an A+

I think I generally come off harsher because I don’t inflate grades.

For me, a C is average. So a C- or a D+ is just below average. Not horrific.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you sign 19 UDFAs even Dallas is bound to get a few decent ones.
it isnt the number but quality of. Don't get me wrong, even us for the few we signed I feel like we did VERY good. BROOKS, STERLING, BYERS were three guys I had on my 6th/7th round board, Goodson and Baylor are both excellent as well out of the backfield...Manac now that I researched is awesome potential. We did very well there too.

Members online

Latest posts