DAMMIT TED!!!! Make a move

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A 1st and a 3rd I never said. I did however say I would pull the trigger (if I were GM that is) on him for James Jones and a 4th. No Question. he doesnt have a ton of wear and tear on him from splitting carries with Stewart. Don't let age fool you, everybody said LaDainian Tomlinson was done, boy would I have loved for us to have picked him up this off season after seeing him run now!

First and a 3rd is what they would want should we trade for him once free agency opens.

I agree with what you said about the wear and tear. LdT is definitely tearing it up with the Jets right now, and getting Williams for another 3-5 years would certainly be a good pickup. As for dealing him now, there's absolutely no evidence Carolina is open to trading him. I know, I know, teams say people aren't on the market when they really are all the time. I get that. However, that doesn't mean D. Williams *is* available and that Carolina is interested in trading him. Given the needs of their team, they might find it's best for them to franchise him and try and get top dollar in terms of draft picks for him during next years free agency.

Believe me, I would happily give up our 3rd string WR and a 4th draft pick to get him. Carolina probably wants more though, and they probably want it in the form of higher and multiple draft picks. I mean, you're talking about trading a 3rd string receiver and a mid round draft pick for a top tier RB. I wouldn't blame them for holding out for the maximum they can get.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The playing field has changed utterly. We no longer need just a RB, we need half a freakin football team! The trade deadline is approaching, the 19th. I'm just afraid there won't be any quality players left to draft even if T.T. decides to make a move. Too late!

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yea at this point its almost pointless to make a trade.. theres not a single person who can just come in and fix the team.. it would be a waste of draft picks really.. time to look into next year..damn this was the shortest season of football ive ever watched

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want a Super Bowl, not just a solid team for years to come, I want a Contending team now while we have all the surrounding talent, not hope that other spots hold up..

So you're saying you want to be like the Minnesota Vikings?

Thanks but no thanks.

Remember, we *had* a contending team THIS YEAR. Can't really blame Ted for all the injuries. It's just not possible to predict the high volume of season ending and long term injuries we have this season. Despite it all though, I think we're still in a good spot to win at least 10 games this season and make the playoffs. I think we've done a great job at bringing along and developing the talent. That's not something you can do when you constantly trade away your draft picks.

Fans are very quick to panic and over-react. If many of you had your way we'd trade an entire draft or two for a couple players solely for a shot at winning today. To me it's utter nonsense to put ourselves in a position to lose for years all for one single shot at glory. I'd rather be very good for a long period of time with a shot to win it all every single year than go all in for one shot, especially if that one shot doesn't pan out.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
There's no one magic fix for this year anymore.

I think you just ride it out, take your lumps, and take your shot at the Super Bowl next year.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be worse:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bLyjcXQmF0]YouTube - I hate football[/ame]

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that TT builds through the draft...thats a great philosophy IMO. However, these are special circumstances here where he ought to be making exceptions. Now other than the packers, I don't really know the names of every every roster spot in the NFL, but I'd hope that the Packers front office does and are doing everything in their power to get us some proven talent immediately. Lets take a lesson from the queens and bring in proven players as our fundamental players go down.

Didn't we do that in our super bowl year when Robert Brooks went down? We brought in Andre Rison. Lesson learned. Make the adjustments.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know that TT builds through the draft...thats a great philosophy IMO. However, these are special circumstances here where he ought to be making exceptions. Now other than the packers, I don't really know the names of every every roster spot in the NFL, but I'd hope that the Packers front office does and are doing everything in their power to get us some proven talent immediately. Lets take a lesson from the queens and bring in proven players as our fundamental players go down.

Didn't we do that in our super bowl year when Robert Brooks went down? We brought in Andre Rison. Lesson learned. Make the adjustments.

So exactly how many future draft picks are we supposed to trade to other teams in order to fill the spots decimated by injuries just to win *this year?*

This is what Ted and Mike get paid to do- Bring in and develop talent. I believe we'll find we have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL. Our defense played solid last week, even without Matthews. They weren't why we lost.

Our running game certainly wasn't lacking last weekend either. That's not why we lost.

Mack_20

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So exactly how many future draft picks are we supposed to trade to other teams in order to fill the spots decimated by injuries just to win *this year?*

This is what Ted and Mike get paid to do- Bring in and develop talent. I believe we'll find we have one of the deepest rosters in the NFL. Our defense played solid last week, even without Matthews. They weren't why we lost.

Our running game certainly wasn't lacking last weekend either. That's not why we lost.

After Matthews went out our defense went from being pretty good, and getting lots of pressure, to no pressure at all and not good at all... If you were watching the same game as me, that was pretty obvious..

I realize our Offense wasnt putting anything up, but i think if clay woulda kept playin we woulda won...

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you want Ted to make a move for the sake of making a move. Got it.

You don't think if they thought someone that's currently a street free agent was better than anyone else we have on our team, they would sign them?

Geez people, get a grip. Making a move just to make a move won't solve the problem.

You make a good point. We gotta remember 4 players were injured in the 1st quarter of the 1st quarter! They probably barely had any reps in practice, so we might have adequate depth on our team. But then again... maybe that's how the mind of a desperate fan operates.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Matthews went out our defense went from being pretty good, and getting lots of pressure, to no pressure at all and not good at all... If you were watching the same game as me, that was pretty obvious..

I realize our Offense wasnt putting anything up, but i think if clay woulda kept playin we woulda won...

To be fair, we were also missing Ryan Pickett as well. And that offense was tired after being on the field for so long. That they held them to only 13 points, even without Matthews, speaks volumes.

BTW, for those interested in Merriman, he's on active IR, which means the team *has* to release him when he's healthy. He wouldn't be able to help us out for at least another 3 weeks anyway. He's also supposedly had *lots* of interest from other teams, so I doubt we sign him anyway.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You make a good point. We gotta remember 4 players were injured in the 1st quarter of the 1st quarter! They probably barely had any reps in practice, so we might have adequate depth on our team. But then again... maybe that's how the mind of a desperate fan operates.

Well yeah, the desperate fan wants us to trade for people just for the sake of appearing like we're doing something. It doesn't matter if the move makes sense or not, they just want the team to sign someone they've heard of so they can feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But you look 2, 3 years out and suddenly realize there's no young talent to replace aging players because all your draft picks are gone. Then, when the team winds up in an inevitable losing streak, the panicked fan will start demanding the team trade even more draft picks for more free agents. All so they can win *now*.

Trading picks for players to fill holes on your roster because your team is littered with injuries is about the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's a panic move that won't instantly solve your problems.

Besides, building a team through free agency seldom works. If it did, Washington and Dallas would dominate every year.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yeah, the desperate fan wants us to trade for people just for the sake of appearing like we're doing something. It doesn't matter if the move makes sense or not, they just want the team to sign someone they've heard of so they can feel warm and fuzzy inside.

But you look 2, 3 years out and suddenly realize there's no young talent to replace aging players because all your draft picks are gone. Then, when the team winds up in an inevitable losing streak, the panicked fan will start demanding the team trade even more draft picks for more free agents. All so they can win *now*.

Trading picks for players to fill holes on your roster because your team is littered with injuries is about the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a bullet wound. It's a panic move that won't instantly solve your problems.

Besides, building a team through free agency seldom works. If it did, Washington and Dallas would dominate every year.
but you find an equal balance between the two.. take the pats for example, they trade a player they no longer felt they needed in Moss for a third rounder.. traded a fourth for branch to fill the hole.. see where im going here? as much as i dont understand why people are so for trading away a ton of picks, i dont get why your so against trading period.

OP
OP
DTown SBrown

DTown SBrown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mike bell and Jerome Harrison just traded. That is 2 players who have starting caliber written on them, if for nothing else than for a season.

I am not saying a trade is going to be the magic potion to solve this teams injury problems at this point, but the depth we have on roster is not the depth we were promised over the last half decade of building (we have the MOST players drafted by current team on our roster at over half).

I agree that drafting IS the way to go when building a team, but once the team IS built, you have to FIND the last few pieces. TT refuses to go get those pieces. Who did we go after this year to help our aging offensive line, off season loss of Jolly (everyone knew he was not getting to play and he was the anchor of the line) eventual and predictable loss of our AGING db in Harris (who even if he was to make it back in time, would not be full strength), Kicker who cannot kick when it counts, and other depth or upgrades at positions?

Dont worry, Ill wait while you check. The answer is.... No One. Nobody. We made zero FA moves. Now we are scrambling for players due to injury. Again. And what are we going after? Street FA and PS players. No impact moves to replace impact players.

The sad part is our depth is also getting hurt, so now we are relying on unproven and underpreformers like Pat Lee, Dimitri Nance, etc to actually PLAY. Not give depth. The depth players we are signing were working at Home Depot last week.

Im not asking to play Madden 2010 with our roster, but make something positive happen. I feel like we are just packing the season in and deciding on a "6 year plan" now. Whats sad is there seems to be no sense of urgency to the whole thing. Its all just business as usual in GB.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who?!?!

Some WRs from buffalo PS?

A Center from the Raiders PS?

A Punter from Aussie Rules FB?

Maybe a waterboy from the Celtics?

Whoever it was will be likely as effective for our team as any of the above stated. If we actually went out and made a reasonable trade offer (reasonable being in or around the ballpark of another REASONABLE GMs offer) for a player who might actually IMPROVE our chances of winning a game this season, I think Half of PACKERS NATION would have a ******* HEART ATTACK.

God help us if he actually pulled the trigger on one...

Hey now, don't badmouth street free-agents and practice squad players on this forum. Numerous people still believe Dmetri Nance is the next Arian Foster. :shock:

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that drafting IS the way to go when building a team, but once the team IS built, you have to FIND the last few pieces. TT refuses to go get those pieces. Who did we go after this year to help our aging offensive line, off season loss of Jolly (everyone knew he was not getting to play and he was the anchor of the line) eventual and predictable loss of our AGING db in Harris (who even if he was to make it back in time, would not be full strength), Kicker who cannot kick when it counts, and other depth or upgrades at positions?

Dont worry, Ill wait while you check. The answer is.... No One. Nobody. We made zero FA moves. Now we are scrambling for players due to injury. Again. And what are we going after? Street FA and PS players. No impact moves to replace impact players.

/facepalm

I'm not sure what free agent we were supposed to sign for our O-Line, but we drafted Bryan Bulaga, who has been a stud.

We also drafted Mike Neal and CJ Wilson to help replace Jolly. Honestly, I all but forgot Jolly was even on our team until recently. The guy just hasn't been missed.

As for not signing any free agents *this* year, we did. We just re-signed our own free agents.

The sad part is our depth is also getting hurt, so now we are relying on unproven and underpreformers like Pat Lee, Dimitri Nance, etc to actually PLAY. Not give depth. The depth players we are signing were working at Home Depot last week.

Who was working at Home Depot last week? Got a link, or are you just being melodramatic?

Im not asking to play Madden 2010 with our roster, but make something positive happen. I feel like we are just packing the season in and deciding on a "6 year plan" now. Whats sad is there seems to be no sense of urgency to the whole thing. Its all just business as usual in GB.

No, what you're seeing is our front office choosing not to panic and to instead weigh their options. This is a good thing.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
While someone brought him up, Mike Neal is a ******* beast.

I hated that pick, I couldn't have been more wrong.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A) He can't help where he's drafted.

B) He's still a rookie who's played in what, 1, possibly 2 games? Jesus, lets give the guy a couple games first before being overly critical, huh?

Members online

Latest posts