1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Damarious Randall's Off Season

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Pokerbrat2000, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,895
  2. thisisnate

thisisnate Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +504
    Eh... was hanging out with a long-time buddy that was smoking. Could be a warning sign or could be absolutely nothing. It is poor judgement, but on the spectrum of stupid crap NFL players do, it's pretty low.

3. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    He was let go at the scene and has no charges filed against him. Until we hear otherwise, innocent until proven guilty. Calm down.

4. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Maybe innocent in the legal sense, but pretty damn stupid in the common sense department.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AKCheese

AKCheese Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +146
    Yeah but he's Packer People so...

6. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    Bad judgement by Randall for sure but don't expect any sanctions by the league.

7. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +957
    I wonder if this incident results in him getting drug tested randomly ASAP and also more often in the future?

8. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Who cares, seriously. I don't smoke weed, and I don't care who does. I have more than a few friends that have accomplished a lot more than most in their lives that will enjoy some MJ over going out for a drink like so many others. If they get in my car with it, I won't even know, nor do I care. and anyway, if all of us were persecuted because of stupid stuff our friends did, none of us would get anywhere. We're lucky we don't get punished for all the stupid stuff we do ourselves growing up, let alone for all the stuff people around us do. Quit acting like this doesn't apply to you. I've lived enough across all different echelons of society to know this stuff isn't unique to one group of people at all.

It's weed, that's it. The only problem with it is the money doesn't flow in the right direction because of it. Unless you line up and feed the big pharma beast with cash and their drug delivery system, you stand to piss off the establishment, and they get angry easily. But seriously. I'd rather drive next to, work with, be operated on, by people that smoke or eat a little thc in their spare time over the millions of others that need their mood altering meds/sleeping pills/pain meds, just to function in society every day.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    Don´t see that happening. According to the substance abuse policy players are entered into the intervention program either because of a positive test, behaviour or self-referral.

Behavior herefor is defined as Behavior (including but not limited to an arrest or conduct related to an alleged misuse of Substances of Abuse occurring up to two (2) football seasons prior to the Player’s applicable scouting combine) which, in the judgment of the Medical Director, exhibits physical, behavioral, or psychological signs or symptoms of misuse of Substances of Abuse.

10. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +661
    Think we understand where you stand on the plant. Now, what do you think about the topic? Right, wrong, or indifferent, it is banned by the NFL. If I was getting paid what they are, and my employer told me I couldn't eat M&Ms, or wear striped socks, or drive a convertible, I'm pretty sure I'd choose an alternative.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,598
    Officiers detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside the vehicle while talking to Randall so I´m absolutely convinced he knew about the pot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    Everybody says that, yet at all levels, across all society, people chose things the rest of us on the "outside" would consider stupid and would never do, even though you're probably doing some it yourself right now. Or have in the past. and on the topic, Randall wasn't arrested, he wasn't charged, he was questioned and let go at the scene. They didn't even bring him in. I don't think an employer has any right to tell you who you can hang out with and I really hate the attitude that they can dictate anything other than how you perform at your job.

13. Sky King

Sky King Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +957
    Well, that answered my question. :coffee:

14. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Seems like today when it comes to the court of public opinion as well as contract negotiation, players are carrying around a score card. You may agree or disagree with the NFL's stance on off the field behavior items, but I'm guessing this one earned Damarious a little red check next to "keep an eye on his off the field behavior". I'm just hoping it serves as a wake-up call to him and others: When you are a high paid athlete, you just never know when or where you may put yourself into the public spotlight.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    But different jobs have different requirements, even off the job. Someone who becomes a cop can’t reasonably complain when they lose their job for something that wouldn’t cause an office manager to lose theirs. Professional athletes are entertainers and their employers have justified concerns about how their behavior away from their sports affects their business. Pro athletes are put on notice what is acceptable and what isn’t and no one is compelled to be a pro athlete so IMO the blame is entirely on the players when they run afoul of the rules. But I agree, regarding Randall this is a minor incident. Of course he knew pot was being smoked and the odds are good he was smoking it too. It was just a foolish mistake IMO. BTW, smoking pot while driving a car asking to be pulled over (no visible license plates) isn’t on the order of a criminal posting a video his crime, but …

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. King of Jeans

King of Jeans Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +84
    Holy ****, they were driving around with THREE WHOLE JOINTS?? What were they thinking???

17. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +215
    Working in a pharmacy, you're absolutely right. People have a misconception that because drugs are legal they are ok to just pop like candy. Some of these legal drugs cause way more harm than some week would ever do. They are so medicated and so desperate to get their meds that is sad to see.
    Weed is like the old beer. It'll eventually get legalize and I'm sure in about 50 years from now there will be some weed bars

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    I guess they, Strong in particular, were thinking...The NFL rules don't apply to me?

19. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Fast forward to not getting pulled over.....Rollins stops at a local convenience store for some munchies and gets out of the Cheech and Chong car to be greeted by a young fan and his mother. The kid wants an autograph from an NFL star and says "Mommy, why does Mr. Rollins smell like a skunk?"

20. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    you see, I think they can reasonably complain, because it's stupid. At least to me. We like to hold everyone else to standards we dont' live by. So maybe you don't smoke weed, but I am certain, every single person reading this has done something the rest of us would consider immoral, weak minded, stupid, detrimental, disgusting, etc, etc, and would then state, "no way would I ever be caught doing that if I was in their situation" and it's bullshit. We all have, and a lot probably still do, but it's ok with you personally do you don't see a problem with it.

Beyond the big rules of, don't kill people, or rape them or beat the crap out of them or burn down their houses or steal their bank accounts, the rest of the rules all of us pick and choose which ones we want to follow or not. and I think it's crazy that so many like to hold others to these standards that then don't apply to themselves.

micromanaging, or at least thinking you can, someones friends and who they ride in a car with is way past reasonable IMO and that type of thinking scares me. Can't wait till employers can send company agents into your home again and make sure you're reading the right books, eating the right food, and saying the correct prayers before bed. Then they can make sure you're doing the right activities with your kids too. It's not slippery slope, this has already happened in this country and I hate to see it moving in that direction again.

Anyway, Randall has done nothing, or rather has not been caught doing anything illegal. I think that about should end it where the NFL is concerned, at least it should.

21. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    IMO this particular situation doesn't have a lot to do with breaking laws or rules at this point, but more about image and character. If this is the image Rollins wants to portray for himself, so be it. But I would wager to guess, if Rollins was a draft prospect right now, his stock would have dropped to some degree.

22. Curly Calhoun

Curly Calhoun Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +269

90% of the world's dumb decisions are made by males between the ages of 15 and 25 (not counting decisions made by our elected leaders).

Randall dodged a bullet when Strong claimed responsibility for the weed in the car. Let's hope he learns from it and makes better decisions moving forward.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,779
    I confuse them all the time too, but it's Randall and if weed is the worst thing he associates with in his young life, I suspect he'll go on to have a fine career as an NFL DB. On the list of things to be upset about, i'd put it slightly behind someone that still eats cereal for breakfast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Pokerbrat2000

Ratings:
    +2,895
    Make that 3 bowls of cereal if its after a morning joint. :coffee:

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. TJV

TJV Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +4,176
    If you and I enter into a contract is it unreasonable for either of us to hold the other to the terms of that contract? Obviously when players agree to be employed by NFL teams, they voluntarily enter into a contract and part of that contract deals with the public perception of the players in the league. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that and if you do, even if you had the talent, you shouldn’t sign an NFL contract.

With regard to the rest of this portion of your post, IMO you are missing the point. You are describing the hypocrisy of fans who judge players for activity they themselves engage in, or something similar. No one can know for certain how they’d act in a completely different set of circumstances, but I am not making a moral judgement against Packers who engage in foolish off-field behavior. I don’t care if another adult smokes pot. My concern is that they are jeopardizing their careers and thus hurting the team I root for.
    I think you weaken your argument with the exaggerations expressed in the bolded text. If you aren’t, could you give us examples of “company agents” entering employee’s homes? And as far as we know, the NFL isn’t going to take action against Randall. But IMO this is an indication that Randall will be more likely to miss games due to violating league rules. For an NFL player to be in public in a vehicle reeking of pot smoke is just foolish. And that has nothing to do with a moral judgement or the NFL breaking down his door to see what he’s doing.