Damarious Randall out several weeks

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Rob Demovsky the Packers cornerback had groin surgery over the weekend.

broguy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's not ideal. Our makeshift db corps held up against hoyer/barkley and the bears, but Sunday is going to be an extremely tough test.

ETA: At least there's a timeline for his return. If we can piece together some wins, we actually have a chance to have a close to full strength team for the playoff stretch. Obviously only one of Shields and Lacy can return to the team (assuming either is healthy), but I'll take the optimistic view that we have a chance to be peaking heading into the playoffs, should we make it. That being said, there are probably more injuries to come, because it's been that kind of year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Sure Gunter and Goodson played decent, against the Bears #2 and #3 QB's. We saw how they looked against a better team and QB in Prescott of Dallas.

If I am TT, I am looking for a CB....like right NOW. I just don't see our defense holding up against the better offenses, and that is even if our #3 CB, Rollins is playing.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had groin surgery? Yea, he's definitely going to be out minimum 5 weeks at the LEAST! The Packers are screwed in the secondary unless they make another move before the deadline. This is not a good enough group out there right now to continue to stop people. It would be wise to sign Antonio Cromartie.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure Gunter and Goodson played decent, against the Bears #2 and #3 QB's. We saw how they looked against a better team and QB in Prescott of Dallas.

If I am TT, I am looking for a CB....like right NOW. I just don't see our defense holding up against the better offenses, and that is even if our #3 CB, Rollins is playing.

Exactly! Now I'm wishing we had that four game home stretch at home where it's going to be cold and hard to throw the ball. If anything Cromartie needs to be added fir depth purposes. They can afford to cut Goodson to make room.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's one thing to be thin at RB, you can do what the Packers did against the Bears and ad lib, especially with AR as your QB. But there is no way you can ad lib at CB, Ryan is going to test that out immediately on Sunday. With the Randall news, we will see if TT is proactive (does something now) or reactive (wait until Ryan lights up our current group). I'm not saying that Rollins, Gunter and Goodson can't stop Atlanta, but I would say the odds are against it. Find a vet, with fresh legs and get him in GB now! I would be looking at Keenan Lewis as well. He was hampered by injuries before camp, but may be ready to go now.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be wise to sign Antonio Cromartie.
Even though he's 100% washed up and got cut by the friggin' Colts, I think this is a move I would support. We simply can't have 4th and 5th tier CB's out there.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Even though he's 100% washed up and got cut by the friggin' Colts, I think this is a move I would support. We simply can't have 4th and 5th tier CB's out there.

LOL....sorry......had to laugh.

I'm going to leave the evaluating as to who the Packers should bring in at CB to the people best capable of making those decisions, but as a Packer fan, it sure seems like the need is there. With Shields career being in doubt, I wouldn't even be opposed to a trade with a team trying to stock up draft choices, for a solid starting CB. Might free up our #1 next year to use on another position.

But they had better do it now, because Nov. 1 is quickly approaching and if they wait until teams see how desperate they are (CB's get lit up in Atlanta), the asking price will go up.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....sorry......had to laugh.

I'm going to leave the evaluating as to who the Packers should bring in at CB to the people best capable of making those decisions, but as a Packer fan, it sure seems like the need is there. With Shields career being in doubt, I wouldn't even be opposed to a trade with a team trying to stock up draft choices, for a solid starting CB. Might free up our #1 next year to use on another position.

But they had better do it now, because Nov. 1 is quickly approaching and if they wait until teams see how desperate they are (CB's get lit up in Atlanta), the asking price will go up.
I mean.... the Colts have one of the worst defenses in the league and he didn't even make the team (he was also awful for the Jets). If that's not washed up, I don't know what is.

I'll leave it to them too. I think we can both agree that a move needs to be made because Julio will ******** this secondary with ease against Gunter and Goodson.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's one thing to be thin at RB, you can do what the Packers did against the Bears and ad lib, especially with AR as your QB. But there is no way you can ad lib at CB, Ryan is going to test that out immediately on Sunday. With the Randall news, we will see if TT is proactive (does something now) or reactive (wait until Ryan lights up our current group). I'm not saying that Rollins, Gunter and Goodson can't stop Atlanta, but I would say the odds are against it. Find a vet, with fresh legs and get him in GB now! I would be looking at Keenan Lewis as well. He was hampered by injuries before camp, but may be ready to go now.
I agree, however this situation makes me wonder about what really goes on inside the private offices of NFL teams. I know they would never admit it publicly, but I wonder if coaches and GM s look at the schedule and their current situations, and literally pick the games they intend to win... I could really see them saying.... the Atlanta game is a bad matchup... let's not waste much time or money... roster moves etc.... let's make sure we win (you pick) these games etc... I know that would not be a popular decision if true, but it is a business. If they are successful at winning the games they choose they make the playoffs .. if not....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree, however this situation makes me wonder about what really goes on inside the private offices of NFL teams. I know they would never admit it publicly, but I wonder if coaches and GM s look at the schedule and their current situations, and literally pick the games they intend to win... I could really see them saying.... the Atlanta game is a bad matchup... let's not waste much time or money... roster moves etc.... let's make sure we win (you pick) these games etc... I know that would not be a popular decision if true, but it is a business. If they are successful at winning the games they choose they make the playoffs .. if not....

I don't think GM's and coaches of playoff bound teams (at this point in the season) view any game as "lets lay down for this one and put all our effort into a much more winnable one", since a win is a win and a win against a good team like Atlanta, IMO would do more mentally for the Packers, then the one they just got against the Bears. However, there may be a tendency to play a game like this Sundays game safer, using risk -rewards analogy. If Rodgers was nursing an injury, they may view the risk of playing him, not worth the odds of coming out with a win. I also don't see any move to improve our secondary before the trade deadline out of the question, that deadline is Nov. 1. Beyond that date, any improvement is going to have to come within, off the street or via a practice squad player.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's obvious with the IR moves, they're planning on adding a couple to the roster

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think GM's and coaches of playoff bound teams (at this point in the season) view any game as "lets lay down for this one and put all our effort into a much more winnable one", since a win is a win and a win against a good team like Atlanta, IMO would do more mentally for the Packers, then the one they just got against the Bears. However, there may be a tendency to play a game like this Sundays game safer, using risk -rewards analogy. If Rodgers was nursing an injury, they may view the risk of playing him, not worth the odds of coming out with a win. I also don't see any move to improve our secondary before the trade deadline out of the question, that deadline is Nov. 1. Beyond that date, any improvement is going to have to come within, off the street or via a practice squad player.
Hopefully, you are right lol.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think GB can use a few more young, prospective CB's with speed, cover ability and who can tackle. Darius Hillary was just released by Cleveland after getting elevated from their PS last week. Not an interception machine but always seems to be in position to defend the pass, which isn't a strength of the current CB's it seems.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...onsin-football-darius-hillary-scouting-report

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy with our young guys. I'm not happy with how they've played this season at some important times, but overall, I think we have a good group of guys that need to play up to their ability. I like Brice, I like Hawkins, Gunter, and Evans. I think they all have a good skill set, but I didn't expect to see them getting so much time, and so much time together so early in their career. I expected 1 or 2 to see some playing time at various times during the season. Maybe 2-3 years from n0w I'd expect to see them all the field together regularly, but not yet.

They have learning to do. It's going to make them look worse than their skill set. But these guys move pretty good, some have better speed than others, but they're thinking their way thru games right now, and being wrong sometimes. When they can play and not think, i think they have the skills to be good. But they do have to put it together sooner than later. Whether or not they do remains to be seen.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think GB can use a few more young, prospective CB's with speed, cover ability and who can tackle. Darius Hillary was just released by Cleveland after getting elevated from their PS last week. Not an interception machine but always seems to be in position to defend the pass, which isn't a strength of the current CB's it seems.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/201...onsin-football-darius-hillary-scouting-report

Not being snarky, just found myself chuckling. Even with our full complement of DBs, who wouldn't want young, fast, hard tackling cover guys back there?

Being released by the worst team in the league isn't much of an endorsement.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not being snarky, just found myself chuckling. Even with our full complement of DBs, who wouldn't want young, fast, hard tackling cover guys back there?

Being released by the worst team in the league isn't much of an endorsement.

Even the worst teams have talent. Cleveland has Joe Thomas and Haden. I'm sure anyone would be happy to have them.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You really have a point there, I just didn't realize those guys had been released, or even that their remaining DBs are so good that someone they did release would be that highly regarded.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had groin surgery? Yea, he's definitely going to be out minimum 5 weeks at the LEAST! The Packers are screwed in the secondary unless they make another move before the deadline. This is not a good enough group out there right now to continue to stop people. It would be wise to sign Antonio Cromartie.
No I haven't. But every time our pass D gets shredded..it similates the pain of a groin pull :(

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter has to jam Julio hard at the line plus he needs help over the top no doubt. We need Clay to have breakout game and give Ryan as little time as possible to look for Julio. I expect Julio to have a good night because of our current depth at CB. Lets just hope it's not too much over 100yds and only reaches endzone once!!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Uh-oh. That could mean there's yet another guy who may ultimately end-up going on IR.

I highly doubt the Packers will place Randall on injured reserve.

I just don't see our defense holding up against the better offenses, and that is even if our #3 CB, Rollins is playing.

Any ideas when Rollins will be ready to suit up

McCarthy indicated during his press conference on Monday that Rollins most likely won't be able to play on Sunday but might be ready for next week.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts