Dad Was Right

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the past 30 years, my father has been yelling at the television that the Packers need to do more bootlegs and more screens. Well he got his wish last night. I couldn't even remember the last screen play we ran, but my were they effective late in the game. It reminded me about how great Lacy was at screens last season. It seems to me that we could be utilizing more of the basic playbook (nothing fancy) and producing results.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think ARs lef handed pass to avoid a sack earlier was a botched screen. Someone forgot to slow the rushers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dad's were always right. Mine hated the Bears, which was correct. I've read that MM's playbook is longer than the bible. Lombardi's like a short story. Doing a few things perfectly probably works better than a lot of things imperfectly.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has never been a play called more for by fans than the screen pass. Closely followed by "running the damn ball" and the Packer special, "that quick slant Favre used to be so good at."

While the screen pass is a solid play, when the DE's or OLB's contain and not run up field it is largely subdued. It really only has success against over-aggressive pass rushes. I'm more of a "players" not "plays" type of guy, if you couldn't tell.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has never been a play called more for by fans than the screen pass. Closely followed by "running the damn ball" and the Packer special, "that quick slant Favre used to be so good at."

While the screen pass is a solid play, when the DE's or OLB's contain and not run up field it is largely subdued. It really only has success against over-aggressive pass rushes. I'm more of a "players" not "plays" type of guy, if you couldn't tell.

Me, too.
You need to pick your spots with screens; not something that'll work 20 times every game.

Reaction score
The old Packer Power Play is a great tool to keep in the mix. I do think we should hit Lacy more on within 5 yard range passes over the middle. He was so successful late last year when we used these and I think they would get him jump started. although Starks took that role which was productive also

D

Deleted member 6794

The old Packer Power Play is a great tool to keep in the mix. I do think we should hit Lacy more on within 5 yard range passes over the middle. He was so successful late last year when we used these and I think they would get him jump started. although Starks took that role which was productive also

As of right now Starks looks to be the better running back and I would like his snap count to increase. He had a career high in receiving yards vs. the Panthers and I´m absolutely in favour of using him in that role more often.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part of my point in this thread was that we could/should get Lacy out in space more often. Sometimes you need to get players succeeding in a different part of their game to get the others working. If he isn't hitting the hole hard, get him out into space where he's excelled in the past and see if that gets him out of his funk.

I've always been a Starks fan so I don't mind getting him more carries. I just want to hit the reset button on Lacy at the same time.

D

Deleted member 6794

Part of my point in this thread was that we could/should get Lacy out in space more often. Sometimes you need to get players succeeding in a different part of their game to get the others working. If he isn't hitting the hole hard, get him out into space where he's excelled in the past and see if that gets him out of his funk.

I've always been a Starks fan so I don't mind getting him more carries. I just want to hit the reset button on Lacy at the same time.

Starks looks way more explosive in space so I would rather prefer the Packers using him on screens more often.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Screens are a great play when you have the defense off balance or over blitzing and the offense is stretching the field, but our offense hasn't been doing that.

I believe our inadequacies on offense this year are directly tied to our O-Line. To a man, the 5 guys on the offensive line have to step it up for anything to work on offense. Starting this season the O-line looked rock solid with all 5 starters from last year back (solid 2014 performance) and weren't even on the radar for issues. Now, half way into the season, they are a constant concern IMO. If they can't hold a 4 man rush out, or open holes for running, defenses are going to continue to play us like Denver and Carolina did. So without improvement by the O-line, we will all hold our collective breaths on each snap that there is a hole to run through or AR even has time to get a pass off.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I do love what Vic Ketchman from "Ask Vic" wrote in his column today.

I would like you to consider the possibility men who’ve dedicated their lives to coaching football know more about how to do it than you do. I’ve dedicated my life to reporting on professional football, and I lack the skills to even understand what’s being discussed in a strategy session, let alone participate in one. Madden and all of the TV scheme analysis shows have deluded fans into thinking they understand sophisticated football strategy. It’s laughable.

But hey, we all still have fun being armchair QB's and coaches! :coffee:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As of right now Starks looks to be the better running back and I would like his snap count to increase. He had a career high in receiving yards vs. the Panthers and I´m absolutely in favour of using him in that role more often.

Per MM's new conference Starks will be the #1 RB in this game. It's about time.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screens and boots should be in every teams playbook. They are great plays against aggressive pass rushing fronts. Hopefully we see more of it. Every play doesn't need to be a splash play, but hey, I have seen many a screen and boot in my time go for 80+ yard TD's.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do love what Vic Ketchman from "Ask Vic" wrote in his column today.

I would like you to consider the possibility men who’ve dedicated their lives to coaching football know more about how to do it than you do. I’ve dedicated my life to reporting on professional football, and I lack the skills to even understand what’s being discussed in a strategy session, let alone participate in one. Madden and all of the TV scheme analysis shows have deluded fans into thinking they understand sophisticated football strategy. It’s laughable.

But hey, we all still have fun being armchair QB's and coaches! :coffee:

Certainly with Vic when he talks about lacking skills. Gave up reading his stuff years ago. The only thing he did right was include 'possibility' in the first line.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Screens are a great play when you have the defense off balance or over blitzing and the offense is stretching the field, but our offense hasn't been doing that.
It also works when the defenses are feasting on the blood of your QB because you're down 30 points and in must-throw situations.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that screen game worked pretty well for the second straight week. Starks caught 6 of 7 for 54 yards which was a 9 yard average. As a runner he 15 for 42 yards - a 2.8 yard average with a longest run of 9 yards. I'm sure that the Vikings are preparing to stop the only aspect of our offense that seems to be in sync, but I hope we don't stop doing it until someone makes us stop.

Latest posts