1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

D-Day celebrations

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by buggybill2003, Jun 6, 2014.

1. PikeBadger

PikeBadger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +239
    Well, that would have been an interesting tussle had the western allies decided to try and push the Soviets back across Poland like Gen. Patton wanted to. We would have needed help from the Germans though IMO. Honestly, in May 1945, all the major military forces were war weary. Eisenhower would have asked out I think and I dont think Truman had the political capital to continue east.

2. PackerFan71

PackerFan71 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +992
    It would, yep the Russians were still scared what was left of a German army incase it could be turned on them again that i do know. Total fantasy offcourse both sides were pretty much burned out at the end of the war and wanted an end to everything.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  3. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +3,182
    The Soviets did quickly break their agreement about Poland and the rest of Eastern Europe which they quickly dominated. My guess is the only way Truman could have prevented them from doing so would be to threaten using the atomic bomb against them - the Soviets didn’t explode their first atomic bomb until almost exactly 4 years after VJ day. How would the world have reacted to that threat – or worse?