Cutting Hawk to save money has rubbed me the wrong way..

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
A.J. Hawk’s deal is done

In less than 24 hours, Packers linebacker A.J. Hawk was released and re-signed. News broke regarding Hawk’s new deal around midnight, just as my wife was telling me I have a PFT addiction.* The deal become official on Thursday when Hawk put pen to paper. Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel guessed that Hawk will…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
damn you TT !!!! You dont know what your doing! lol jk. congrats. Im happy the guy from the goonies got paid.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of you "experts" on here were bashing Hawk b4 he led our defensive front to a Super Bowl XL win. SO I'm not expecting any love on this thread. But he was a playoff captain, led with tackles and replaced Nick Barnett.(he needs cut or traded) So right before an EARNED bonus he is cut and re-signed to a lower salary? I could see if he was a backup or a special teams guy but our starting MLB? Hawk has showed a lot more class than I would have shown. It's a slap in the face and then they still expect you out there playing as hard as you were b4 they screwed you..

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
I don't know why you are pissed. A.J. doesn't seem to be. He wanted to stay and so did the Packers, but not at 10 mil.

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think AJ knows it's a business and knows by taking a cut it helps the team as a whole. I'm sure a lot of people expected Hawk to be a player like Matthews when he came in. He is a good solid player but 10 million is a bit much for what he brings. I think he and his agent knows that otherwise he would have tested the free agent market.

brett2520

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers earned a $10 million bonus, Greg Jennings earned a $10 million bonus, Clay Matthews earned a $10 million bonus. Did they get one? Nope. I am a AJ Hawk fan and have been since before we drafted him, but come on, he isn't even top three best players on defense... (Clay, Wood, BJ, Tramon? Collins?)

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ has been quoted as saying that he knew last spring that they were going to have to rework his contract... So this was hardly a slap in the face, he knew this was coming almost a year ago. He wanted to be a packer and he is... I don't see what the problem is...

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Hawk took the long-term view of things. There was no way he was going to get that 10 mil so he could either hold firm, be cut and try his luck in terms of money and chances at winning with another team or he could take a reduction and stay with the Packers where he has a better chance of winning another Super Bowl and making more money in the future (assuming he can play at an elevated level in the next couple of years). I think it was a wise decision and, just as TT said, "a business decision."

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna know first hand what it means to be a Packer. I don't think there's any other team out there, Steelers or Pats, where you have more pride in being part of an organization than in GB. AJ Hawk knows what its like and what it means.

Too bad I'll never know.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most of these guys know when they sign a contract thats loaded on the back end that it'll be reworked or they'll be released before the numbers get too big. Unless they are all-pro during their contract they know the last year of their deal is just a safety valve for the team.

That said I'm glad they got him back. He did a great job taking over for Barnett.

PackerBacher

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wanna know first hand what it means to be a Packer. I don't think there's any other team out there, Steelers or Pats, where you have more pride in being part of an organization than in GB. AJ Hawk knows what its like and what it means.

Too bad I'll never know.

How can you say that? You dont think fans are a part of the team? If you have never been to Lambeau Field I guess I can see that. But ever since my first game there, I felt like I was a part of the team. That stadium is so awesome, you really are right there with the players, cheering them on as loud as you can. I think we are all Packers.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
AJ got his $10 million up front from what I've heard and a more cap friendly contract. I think the Pack did right by him and he did right by the Pack.

From what his agent said (take that for what it's worth), his phone went nuts the minute the league office got the Pack's notice that Hawk had been cut.

Hawk's a good player. Solid and a smart player with heart. I'm happy he's back....seriously, I didn't think AJ was really going anywhere but some team could have slipped in an offer he couldn't walk away from...then, I'd be sick to my stomach. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Nothing against Barnett (ok, maybe a little..but not much), but AJ is and has been more integral to this defense than he's been given credit for - fans are still hung up on the fact that he's a #5 overall and hasn't made All-Pro ... the guy has been a solid NFL starter from the git-go -- and in my opinion, had to cover a lot for Barnett. Something he didn't have to do with Bishop.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another good move by TT, very glad Hawk will be a Packer for a long time to come. Goodbye Barnett!

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AJ got his $10 million up front from what I've heard and a more cap friendly contract. I think the Pack did right by him and he did right by the Pack.

From what his agent said (take that for what it's worth), his phone went nuts the minute the league office got the Pack's notice that Hawk had been cut.

Hawk's a good player. Solid and a smart player with heart. I'm happy he's back....seriously, I didn't think AJ was really going anywhere but some team could have slipped in an offer he couldn't walk away from...then, I'd be sick to my stomach. Fortunately, that didn't happen.

Nothing against Barnett (ok, maybe a little..but not much), but AJ is and has been more integral to this defense than he's been given credit for - fans are still hung up on the fact that he's a #5 overall and hasn't made All-Pro ... the guy has been a solid NFL starter from the git-go -- and in my opinion, had to cover a lot for Barnett. Something he didn't have to do with Bishop.

Your correct they did. I would also like to note I found out about the whole deal at 1am via a football news app on my phone that said PACKERS CUT AJ HAWK lol And also I dont think AJ is asked to do the same things as Matthews so that comparisson bugs me. AJ is the one with the playbook on his wrist getting all but the secondary where they need to be. The secondary has Charles.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Why do you care? Apparently hawk doesn't. If he were that offended he would not have re-signed. I think it was a deal that worked to everyone's advantage: Hawks, the Packers, and the fans. AJ will get his money and the opportunity to help the team win another Super Bowl.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This re-signing means a lot to me, being a 3rd generation Packers and Buckeyes fan from eastern Ohio (about 30 mins west of Pittsburgh, steeler country here). I know AJ's career got off to a slightly bumpy start in terms of expectations, considering the hype, but he has developed into the winner he was with my Buckeyes. My old man was as die hard a fan as they come (as am I) and he really loved watching AJ play. We buried my father in his Hawk jersey, and wrapped in his favorite Packers blanket in March '08 (49 years old, diabetes victim) and it would have stung some if he walked. But the fact that he was so quick to take less money because he loved the Packers (amongst other reasons, I'm sure) just shows why he is such a class act and a true Packer.

I can't wait until next season, let's do it again!

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
cheesehead1285 I am terribly sorry for your loss. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean who cares that he re-signed, I for one am glad that he is back. But I also think these guys have a general sense of their value and Hawk apparently had a relatively fair sense of his and was ready to sign a new deal structured in this way. I would also agree that Hawk is a class act and his handling of the situation shows that, but, again, if it were all that offensive he would not have signed. I think the guys who posted up above have it right in saying that the handling of his situation was very similar to that of the handling of many players who have huge payouts at the end of their contract and that they don't really expect to collect on them; it is just the way things are done -- or to put it as TT did; it is just the nature of the business.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know a lot of you "experts" on here were bashing Hawk b4 he led our defensive front to a Super Bowl XL win. SO I'm not expecting any love on this thread. But he was a playoff captain, led with tackles and replaced Nick Barnett.(he needs cut or traded) So right before an EARNED bonus he is cut and re-signed to a lower salary? I could see if he was a backup or a special teams guy but our starting MLB? Hawk has showed a lot more class than I would have shown. It's a slap in the face and then they still expect you out there playing as hard as you were b4 they screwed you..

As good as Hawk played this season, he is NOT worth $10M in what will be a capped year. Very few inside linebackers are worth that kind of money. Quarterbacks are worth $10M/year, not ILBs. No team in the league would have given him $10M/year.

Plus, this worked out for Hawk. Instead of having a contract for $10M for one year, he's not set for five years. He gets to finish his career as a Packer and have the chance to win more Super Bowls.

There is a business side to this game.

Reaction score

This is his best year he had with us, also Desmond Bishop would of led the team with tackles if he started sooner. Just because he is the playcaller doesn't mean he led the defense to a superbowl. Every starting ILB is pretty much the play caller. 10Million plus players have to be considered one of the best players at their position. Hawk is not a Top ILB.

LAG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk has been and will continue to be well compensated for his hard work. I am very pleased he will remain a Packer. Can't say enough about his leadership and the way he stepped up this season and he has a ring to show.

Members online

Latest posts