Cut down to 75 predictions

D

Deleted member 6794

He had a terrible game against 3rd stringers, and I never said he would be cut next week

Well, you said he will be cut before the regular season and the Packers have to get their active roster down to 53 by August 30, which happens to be next week.

But more importantly you didn't answer my question about your backup plan at both tackle positions if the Packers cut Sherrod.

packrule81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion doesn't have to practice for the team to know what he can do, he's put plenty on tape in his career. Not sure if he has practiced yet this off season, if not he can go on PUP.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, you said he will be cut before the regular season and the Packers have to get their active roster down to 53 by August 30, which happens to be next week.

But more importantly you didn't answer my question about your backup plan at both tackle positions if the Packers cut Sherrod.

Wanna bet 3 Ts on the PS? Might be the only fallback with Barclay gone.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Guion doesn't have to practice for the team to know what he can do, he's put plenty on tape in his career. Not sure if he has practiced yet this off season, if not he can go on PUP.

Tapes a beautiful thing but his in a 4-3 scheme. No practice, no play, PUP with designation best I see for him at this point. Give me someone that's been on the field all TC.

packrule81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tapes a beautiful thing but his in a 4-3 scheme. No practice, no play, PUP with designation best I see for him at this point. Give me someone that's been on the field all TC.

Ya I've liked what I've seen Pennel, been in the backfield during games a lot. Hoping he can go on PUP cause he will get signed elsewhere if we cut him. You can never have enough big guys and he is a big guy.

I just saw MM's PC, and he said today that R. Neal with be out for a "couple of weeks". I'm sticking with him off the 75 whether that's cutting him or IR'ing him.

Neal seems to be a good player but looks like more of a PS player at this point. Can't IR a guy unless he is medically out for more than a "couple of weeks" according to league doctors.

Cheddar2014

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting stipulations for the new 10 man PS.

A player must have a minimum of six games on a practice squad - increased from the previous three games - for that year to count as one of three permissible seasons on the squad.

And each team now can sign a maximum of two practice squad players who have earned no more than two NFL seasons toward free agency. Aside from that exception, a player with one or more accrued seasons can't go on a practice squad unless he spent fewer than nine games on a club's 46-player active list in each of his pro seasons.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Apparently the practice squad agreement is for 2 years. It will be revert back to the old rules in 2016. Was this done because of the high number of underclassman this year, or is there another reason to change this?

D

Deleted member 6794

Wanna bet 3 Ts on the PS? Might be the only fallback with Barclay gone.

Even if the Packers put three tackles on the practice squad you haven´t answered my question about your plan at both backup tackle spots if the team releases Sherrod.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, about my earlier post about Barclay and Abbrederis. I might have been wrong:
http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/...atriots-and-some-history-on-ir-waiver-claims/

Apparently if you put a player on IR now he can be claimed by other teams. You can put a guy on IR straight after the cut down to 75. The Packers probably don't want to risk that Barclay and Abbrederis are claimed, and therefore they will be on the initial 75, and will go to IR afterwards. Therefore my guess is that we cut 13 guys and sign 2 of them back quickly afterwards.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since Lyerla has been waived and Barclay or Abby won't be IR'd until AFTER the cut down to 75 I'll revise my list:
13 Cuts:
Antonio Dennard - CB
Demetri Goodson - CB
Carlos Gray - DE
Jake Doughty - LB
Korey Jones - LB
Chase Rettig - QB
LaDarius Perkins - RB
Charles Clay - S
Garth Gerhart - OC
Jeremy Vujnovich - OT
Justin Perillo - TE
Alex Gillett - WR
Chris Harper - WR

Game 3 may change a couple, but I'm getting in early and sticking with my guesses.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My prediction:
QB Chase Rettig
RB LaDarius Perkins (or Rajion Neal if still injured)
WR Gerrard Sheppard
OL Jordan McCray
OL Jeremy Vujnovich
DE Luther Robinson
LB Jake Doughty
LB Korey Jones (or Joe Thomas if still injured)
CB Ryan White
CB Antonio Dennard
S Tanner Miller

Plus two guys that might be cut and signed again later:
FB Ina Liaina
WR Alex Gilett

D

Deleted member 6794

Apparently the practice squad agreement is for 2 years. It will be revert back to the old rules in 2016. Was this done because of the high number of underclassman this year, or is there another reason to change this?

I´m just guessing here but the NFL has pondered with the idea of creating a developmental league, maybe they plan on starting one in 2016.

OP
OP
thequick12

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lyerla will be back unless another team picks him up. He was the best blocker out of the TE group in camp and he could be a legit H back/full back to replace Kuhn next season. As he is a better runner/receiver than Kuhn he would bring some explosiveness and the threat of a big play back to the fullback position.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m just guessing here but the NFL has pondered with the idea of creating a developmental league, maybe they plan on starting one in 2016.
I don't see it happening. They tried it with the World League of American Football with teams in the US and Europe, then tried it with just European teams in NFL Europe.

It was an expensive proposition that yielded few players, Warner and Delhomme notwithstanding. The Canadian league also yields few players for the NFL.

Besides, isn't that what the SEC is for? That costs the league nothing.

H

HardRightEdge

The NFL always needs to have a plan for a developmental league in case the NCAA goes south with all of this payment and breaking off. The power conferences already threatened to do their own thing if the NCAA didn't do as they demanded, the NCAA has recently lost lawsuits, and really, the NCAA doesn't have much power anymore. They tried governing teams and took big PR hits from the fans for that.

Personally, I'd like to see a developmental league exist. Arena football is really exciting, but the rules are so far off from the NFL. The CFL's rules also make it tough for their players to transition. The NFL needs to think up a model that is cheap and grooms talent. The NFL has really failed to market these leagues. The league also needs to be in the USA, because it's hard enough to get Europe to watch NFL games, so why would they watch sub-par talent play? There is a real chance here for the NFL to do something cool, like take the preseason tickets off of the NFL season ticket game list and add them to a cheaper developmental league's season ticket list. That way people can get 2 NFL games (even if they are preseason) and a bunch of developmental games. And heck, maybe give them first crack at a playoff game, too. These are the types of things the NFL can do to make a developmental league successful.
A couple of thoughts:

What the NCAA does or doesn't do is not the issue. The issue is whether Alabama, Auburn, and a handful of other like- minded institutions want to play football on the current scale, whether in the NCAA or outside of it. Whether they have to pay players or not, I believe the good people of the state of Alabama would just as soon see these fine institutions of higher learning fall in a sink hole than give up football on a grand scale. And the money, baby, the money...SEC football TV revenue is huge and getting huger. The NFL's key "AAA ballclubs" are not going anywhere. The colleges will pay the players if push comes to shove.

The NFL might actually like this arrangement...all the best talent distilled down to maybe 30 mega-college programs that can afford to pay the players on those 60 hour football work weeks. Other schools can go back to having student athletes on limited work schedules and perhaps get away with not paying them; the players might even take some real classes and do some studying.

The original developmental league played in the spring with most of the franchises in the US and I think three in Europe. In the US, they were mostly in smaller markets like Sacramento, but also a northwest NJ franchise. They killed the US clubs after a few years and added more in Europe because the European teams were outdrawing.

It was originally a spring league, and spring football leagues have always done poorly in the US. And you can't run it in the fall/winter in the US because Fri. - Mon. is chock-o-block with high school, college and the NFL. Nobody will go to football games midweek after getting over-saturated all weekend. That's why it became an all-Europe league, along with the original hope American football would catch fire there and pave the way for expansion overseas. Nothing worked in nearly 2 decades of trying.

Your idea of packaging NFL preseason games with a developmental league package seems to assume the developmental team will be in the same market as an NFL team. I go back to the competition and saturation problems.

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, about my earlier post about Barclay and Abbrederis. I might have been wrong:
http://charlotte.cbslocal.com/2014/...atriots-and-some-history-on-ir-waiver-claims/

Apparently if you put a player on IR now he can be claimed by other teams. You can put a guy on IR straight after the cut down to 75. The Packers probably don't want to risk that Barclay and Abbrederis are claimed, and therefore they will be on the initial 75, and will go to IR afterwards. Therefore my guess is that we cut 13 guys and sign 2 of them back quickly afterwards.

Apparently I was wrong yet again. We have to remember for next year: You can put guys on IR on cut down day (to 75 that is), but if you put guys on IR before cut down day other teams can claim this guy (if he has to go through waivers).

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
About the developmental league. I think there should be some kind of developmental league. A lot of talent is wasted now. There are many soccer players who reached the top at later age, because of the tier system. In football, if you get cut during your first camp and don't make a practice squad your career is essentially over. There are no, or least to few, second chances for guys to prove themselves. Some guys just need more time to adapt, other guys just have a bad camp. These guys need a second chance.

Since the goal of the league has to be to give guys a second shot to the NFL, there a basically two options. One would be a season parallel with the NFL, where teams could sign any guy from those teams. The other option would be a short (8 games + play-offs) season right after the regular season/superbowl, so that also practice squad player have an opportunity to play in this league.

H

HardRightEdge

It actually assumes the opposite. Right now, season ticket holders pay for preseason games not because they want to but because they have to.

So, the opposite would be a ticket package with NFL preseason games played in one market and developmental games played in another market? How's that supposed to work?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO college football is a great "developmental league" for the NFL. Why would the NFL want to spend money for something it doesn't need? IMO there isn't a lack of talent problem in the NFL so why spend money on a problem that doesn't exist? What should guys do who don't make an NFL team on their first try? Get a job, stay in shape and try next year. Or don't - as far as the NFL is concerned there will be another influx of talent next spring.

The idea of tying NFL preseason games to season tickets for a developmental league team out of market seems odd and unworkable to me. The only people that would help is NFL season ticket holders. How far are the new league season ticket holders going to have to travel to "take advantage" of NFL preseason games? And how p*ssed would NFL season ticket holders be not to be first in line for playoff games?

H

HardRightEdge

Since the goal of the league has to be to give guys a second shot to the NFL....
The overarching goals of the NFL are to make as much money as possible and to maximize franchise value.

The chief reason for creating the previous (failed) developmental leagues was to explore markets for subsequent expansion. This was more about developing markets and a lot less about developing players.

The league is not going spend the kind of dough it takes to run a parallel league, and lose a fair amount of money doing it, just to develop a few diamonds in the rough. It's a whole lot easier and cheaper to continue to expand the practice squads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts