Cullen Jenkins signs a 4-year deal

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far it's been a good off season and free agency hasn't even started yet. Favre returns for another year, Harris got his deal, and Jenkins is locked up for 4 years.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cant wait to see the specifics and yearly breakdown.

Things are going GREAT and it's not even march yet.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is awesome! :thumbsup:
Compared to two years ago, even last year, this offseason has been extremely worry-free. I think that the 'settled' feeling of Brett coming back has made these transactions a lot smoother.

Eh, maybe TT's just a good GM? :shrug:

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So are there still fans that think that Ted can't get the job done? This is just another good deal to shut up that garbage.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No negatives that I can see in this deal. It's caused barely a ripple againest the cap so the money for FA is still there. If Ahman re-ups I expect another cap friendly deal although not as vanilla as Jenkins deal since TT won't go for a long-term deal just to spread out the SB. I would guess that Adalius Thomas is no longer at the top of the list, either. But I hope TE and S still are. I want the draft to be BPA from the get-go.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good signing if he plays like he did those last few games hot damn! Our D-line has alot of depth and some of the young players are starting to emerge.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No negatives that I can see in this deal. It's caused barely a ripple againest the cap so the money for FA is still there. If Ahman re-ups I expect another cap friendly deal although not as vanilla as Jenkins deal since TT won't go for a long-term deal just to spread out the SB. I would guess that Adalius Thomas is no longer at the top of the list, either. But I hope TE and S still are. I want the draft to be BPA from the get-go.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I could really see him taking the strong side from Poppinga, even though Brady has done a decent job Thomas would be a huge improvement.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
retiredgrampa said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I could really see him taking the strong side from Poppinga, even though Brady has done a decent job Thomas would be a huge improvement.

If the Packers sign Thomas he'll be used as a DE in the 4-3. He's a 3-4 LB or a 4-3 DE. I don't believe signing him now is out of the question. Thomas, Kampman, Pickett, Jenkins, and Williams makes for one heck of a rotation with our Line and it'd only make it easier for our secondary and backers to make plays. Thomas is going to demand a lot of money and Green Bay would need to get in a bidding war for him. We’ll see though but I wouldn’t mind having him here.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cullen Jenkins agrees to sign a 4-year deal

I cant wait to see the specifics and yearly breakdown.

If the up front money is more roster bonus than signing bonus this could be an enhancement of the long term cap position of the team.

We will know more once the agreement is signed and submitted.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
T.T. just screwed up BIG TIME!

What a joke... That much money for a guy who may be a risk. And he is a RISK. Cap money has been wasted. This is a scam! My God why can you all not see the hatred T.T. has for Brett.

This is just another example of how T.T. wants to make sure that Brett Fails so T.T. can get rid of Brett. If the Packers fail on Defence then it will force Brett to fail by being in horrible field position.

T.T. Just wants to get rid of Brett as fast as possible.

Oh... By the way... Raider Prides password was so predictable I am back and you can not get rid of me.

Signed....

DePack

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
T.T. just screwed up BIG TIME!

What a joke... That much money for a guy who may be a risk. And he is a RISK. Cap money has been wasted. This is a scam! My God why can you all not see the hatred T.T. has for Brett.

This is just another example of how T.T. wants to make sure that Brett Fails so T.T. can get rid of Brett. If the Packers fail on Defence then it will force Brett to fail by being in horrible field position.

T.T. Just wants to get rid of Brett as fast as possible.

Oh... By the way... Raider Prides password was so predictable I am back and you can not get rid of me.

Signed....

DePack

password=iheartal

pretty funny, RP!

Reaction score
That's a lot of money and a long contract if he doesn't pan out.

I think you bring up a great point.

Jenkins is good, but he has been injured and only performed good for 1/4 of the year as a starter.

It could be a risk, but really with the demand of DEs this year, I think it was worth a shot. I'd have made the 4th year an option year, but I'm not a cap guy.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to piggyback on a few of the detractors comments: Anyone believe we could have tendered Jenkins, watched how he played for a season @ DE, and then spent the money on him long term?

I'm sure it may have cost us a little more in the long run, but we could have used the money spent for additional talent while Favre is here too.

If I'm not mistaken, GB has spent approx 10M on two guys (Harris and Jenkins) that were essentially already under contract?? Are we currently winning w/ these two; could the money spent have been better used on new additional talent to improve the teams chances at a playoff run??

Reaction score
Good point you raise slackerbacker.

As for spending 10 million on 2 guys already under contract, Jenkins was a free agent, so he would have needed a new deal anyways.

As for the tendering Jenkins suggestion, I thought that myself. The only things I believe may have made such an option less desirable would have been Jenkins having a big season, asking for a big payday and the Packers refusing. This might create the wrong impression that the Packers are too cheap, and aren't willing to reward all of their players that perform big.

The Packers have just started to shed the image of being cheap due to the Walker fiasco IMO, and having that sort of thing happen again would overshadow Harris's extension and the new contracts for Pickett and Kampman.

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers likely would have placed the $1.3 million second-round tender on Jenkins in restricted free agency, meaning another team would have had to give up a second-round pick to sign him. Instead, Jenkins will make just under $7 million this year and about $9.5 million over the first two years of the deal, Levy said. The Packers have close to $25 million in salary-cap room this year, so absorbing the deal financially was no problem.

A RFA no?? And the problem is he may not hold up, his short lived productivity against the Viks, Lions and Bears may not continue and there's at least 2 or 3 Mill that could have been used to sign someone else. Most everyone IN the NFL realize we need more playmakers....did this move help this short fall while Favre and the other core vets are here and producing??

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So are there still fans that think that Ted can't get the job done? This is just another good deal to shut up that garbage.

Read AADP post on Andrew...but you are right, this is another very good job by the PACKERS to get him signed

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jenkins is a player that has gotten better every year, and who works hard to get better. The time and price were right for him to remain a Packer.

If Thomas is signed, KGB becomes draft-day trade bait.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo said:

Read AADP post on Andrew...but you are right, this is another very good job by the PACKERS to get him signed

Wait... so if TT doesn't get players signed, what is the purpose of a GM?

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack_in_black said:
gopackgo said:

Wait... so if TT doesn't get players signed, what is the purpose of a GM?

generally managing

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFW: What’s your take on these deals?

Wilkening: I think the Packers will be very happy with the return on their investment in Jenkins. He is one of the game’s up-and-coming defensive linemen, a player who can play well inside and outside. I am a little surprised Jenkins elected to take this deal before the start of restricted free agency; I got the sense he might have drawn some interest, especially if the Packers had given him the low or the second-round tender. But now he has the security of a lucrative, long-term contract

Pro Football Weekly

Wow I'm a little shocked to see that kind of respect giving to Jenkins.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts