Crumpacker

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
S.F. Chronicle article
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/12/11/49ERS.TMP

Going face to face with an icon
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer

Take a good, long look at Brett Favre today at Candlestick. He won't pass this way again.

Check that. It's unlikely he'll pass this way again.

According to the Pythagorean theorem that drives the NFL's yearly schedules, the 49ers probably won't play the Green Bay Packers again until 2009, at Lambeau Field.

If he keeps dragging his beat-up body into the fray that long, Favre would be 40 by then, in his 19th season, his hair shot to gray and his cartilage just plain shot.

This, then, could be the last time Favre has a chance to flummox the 49ers, a team he's treated over the years like a cat toying with a mouse.

Beginning with a playoff game following the 1995 season, Favre has posted a 10-1 career record against San Francisco, 6-0 in the regular season and 4-1 in the postseason. His only loss came in a playoff game on Jan. 3, 1999, when Steve Young famously threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Terrell Owens with 3 seconds left to give the 49ers a 30-27 victory.

"He's had some pretty good games against us,'' said defensive lineman Bryant Young. "There's been times when we've been up in the game and Brett found a way to win. He's always been the type of quarterback who's going to give everything he has out on the field.''

If this is the last time Favre faces the 49ers, what approach will San Francisco's defensive players bring to the game?

"I'm very motivated,'' defensive lineman Marques Douglas said. "If you can't get up for this game, you shouldn't be playing football. It makes it exciting. You can tell your kids you played against one of the greatest quarterbacks of all-time. You also want to tell them you got a couple hits on him and shut him down. You don't want to be starstruck.''

After a miserable 2005 in which he threw 29 interceptions and waffled greatly on the subject of retirement, Favre has rebounded this season, his 16th, but the Packers have not. They are 4-8, losers of three in a row.

Favre, though, seems to be enjoying himself even as he contemplates retiring, again, and the prospect of offseason ankle surgery if he decides to keep playing. He's having a good statistical season with 2,848 passing yards and 15 touchdowns. He's nine touchdown passes shy of tying Dan Marino's career record of 420 and his record for consecutive starts by a quarterback remains ongoing and inviolate at 233.

If there is one player in the NFL who is beloved around the league, it is Favre for his unique style of play, his foibles played out in public and his moments of raw emotion when family tragedies struck. Anyone who dislikes Favre must have a heart as cold and as sharp as an icicle.

"Being a quarterback, especially my age, he was a guy I idolized,'' said 49ers quarterback Alex Smith, who was a 7-year-old when Favre started his NFL career in 1991. "I had his picture on my wall, had his cards. It will be very special to play against him, to be on the same field with him. It will be something I'll remember.''

Young, a respectful and long-standing opponent of Favre's, said he does not remember the Green Bay quarterback as being among his 82 1/2 sacks.

"I don't think I have'' sacked him, Young said, adding, "To be able to play against a guy who has accomplished so much in this league, it's an honor to be on the same field as the guy. As I look back, wow, I had a chance to play against a great guy.''

The players' coach, Mike Nolan, hopes the experience is not a memorable one for Favre.

"I certainly don't want him to make any lasting memories this weekend,'' Nolan said. "I've probably played him a half-dozen times in the past as a defensive coordinator. He's been a great teammate over the years. His teammates have a lot of respect for him and play very hard for him. I hope this is one of those bad memorable games for him instead of a good memorable game.''

Favre's often reckless style of play has led him to an interception total that is creeping up on George Blanda's NFL career-record of 277 over 26 seasons. Favre has thrown 267 interceptions, currently third all-time, one behind John Hadl's 268.

Of those 267 picks, three belong to 49ers cornerback Walt Harris, who played against Favre and the Packers a dozen times in his six years with the Chicago Bears from 1996-2001. He'd like one more before Favre takes a seat on his riding mower for good.

"It's definitely a chance,'' Harris said. "It will be great to close it out with another interception and a win. There's nothing different with him. He's definitely a threat out there.''

One of Harris' three interceptions off Favre was returned 13 yards for a touchdown in a 1998 game against the Packers at Lambeau. Does he still have the ball?

"I do,'' Harris said, smiling.

Rookie Manny Lawson figures to be after Favre coming and going. As an outside linebacker playing on the weak side, Lawson drops into coverage more than he rushes the passer. He has two sacks and one interception, and hopes to add to both totals against Favre.

"All in all, I really admire him as a player,'' Lawson said. "To actually go out there and shake his hand is going to be an experience. It's always a special moment. The guy is real competitive and at the same time he likes to have fun and takes the game for what it is.''

Five years after he decides to stop playing, Favre will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. After today, he may never play against the 49ers again, lending poignancy to an otherwise routine regular season game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Favre file

Seasons: 16

Pages in media guide: 28

Consecutive starts: 233 (ongoing record)

Wins as starter: 143 (Marino 148, Elway 147)

TD passes: 411 (Marino, 420)

Interceptions: 267 (Blanda 277, Hadl 268)

Completions: 4,932 (Marino, 4,967)

Passing yards: 56,463 (Marino, 61,361)

Record vs. 49ers: 10-1 (6-0 reg. season, 4-1 playoffs)

The toll: Separated left shoulder, thigh bruise, left hip bruise, left ankle sprain, coughed-up blood, sprained right thumb, tendinitis in right elbow, left foot sprain, sprained knee ligament, broken right thumb, left hamstring bruise, concussion, sprained right hand, ankle bruise

Favre vs. 49ers

1995 season

Packers 27, 49ers 17*

21-of-28, 299 yards, 2 TDs, 0 ints

Packers 23, 49ers 20 OT

28-of-61, 395 yards, 1 TD, 2 ints

Packers 35, 49ers 14*

11-of-15, 79 yards, 1 TD, 0 int

Packers 23, 49ers 10*

16-of-27, 222 yards, 1 TD, 0 int

Packers 36, 49ers 22

15-of-28, 279 yards, 3 TDs, 3 ints

49ers 30, Packers 27*

20-of-35, 292 yards, 2 TDs, 2 ints

Packers 20, 49ers 3

24-of-35, 236 yards, 2 TDs, 0 int

Packers 31, 49ers 28

20-of-27, 266 yards, 1 TD, 0 int

Packers 25, 49ers 15*

22-of-29, 269 yards, 2 TDs, 1 int

Packers 20, 49ers 14

25-of-33, 201 yards, 1 TD, 0 int

Packers 20, 49ers 10

10-of-15, 138 yards, 2 TDs, 3 ints

* playoff game
The stats and article were before the game.
Sometimes I think Brett is more respected elsewhere.

WestPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, great article. I think you are right about the respect.
We have taken him for granted, that won't change untill after he is retired.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts