Crowded field at receiver

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By GREG A. BEDARD
[email protected]
Posted: May 20, 2008

Ruvell Martin wasn't surprised that the Packers brought in more receivers.

Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy apparently liked what he saw in his "Big Five" set, which featured - you guessed it - five wide receivers last season.

The Packers will have 12 receivers on Ray Nitschke Field this morning when the 2008 squad makes its public debut in the first open session of organized team activities. And one of the most heated competitions through the end of training camp will surely ensue.

"My job is not going to be easy, no matter what," said Ruvell Martin, one of five receivers back from the 2007 53-man roster. "If I'm not getting it done then they're going to find somebody to replace me, whether it's via the draft or somewhere else."

It's hard to say that Martin didn't get the job done last season. Of his 16 catches, all but one went for a first down. The other was a 7-yard gain on first down.

Martin's reward was watching the Packers spend their first draft pick (a second-rounder) on former Kansas State receiver Jordy Nelson. The Packers then finished the two-day draft by taking Brett Swain out of San Diego State.

"I'm not really surprised," Martin said. "I mean, they have to draft somebody. According to them they draft the best player available and they felt that it was a wide receiver."

Nelson's arrival already caused the end of Koren Robinson's run with the Packers, a move that Greg Jennings said he was "shocked" to hear.

"I really thought he made progress last year and into the off-season," Jennings said. "I was looking forward to him being back with us. But that's the nature of the business."

The competition to keep off the unemployment line should be intense. Veterans Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones, along with Nelson, should be safe. That leaves two, possibly three spots for the other eight players to fight for.

In that group is Johnny Quinn, who signed with the team in January after a workout. The athletic former North Texas standout went through this same dance last season with the Buffalo Bills and was out even before training camp started.

"Hopefully I can make my mark with special teams as well," Quinn said. "I did everything in college. I was even the holder on kicks. (The Packers) want to see what I can do at flier (on punt coverage) so I'm excited for that."

Others in the competition are returning players Shaun Bodiford and Chris Francies, and undrafted free agents Jake Allen, Rod Harper and Taj Smith.

With so many numbers at the position, the players know that opportunities won't be plentiful.

"That's something the coaches have to deal with," Martin said. "All I can do is do well when I get my opportunity."

That means the pressure will be on with each pass. Never mind that the season opener is more than four months away.

"The reps are going to go down, obviously, with the numbers," Quinn said. "Absolutely when I get in, I want to go full speed and know my assignment. But I'm looking forward to it. I'm ready to compete right now."

Harrell sidelined again: Defensive tackle Justin Harrell will miss the team's off-season practices for the second straight year.

According to the team's Web site, Harrell has a back injury that will sideline him along with cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) and defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (shoulder) for the entire four-week workout session. However, according to the site, "all three should be cleared for the start of training camp."

Blackmon and Jolly were expected to be out. Harrell, whose recovery from a torn bicep tendon kept him out last year, was not. He bothered by knee and ankle injuries last season, so this is likely a new injury.

General manager Ted Thompson was traveling and not available for comment.

Also, defensive linemen Daniel Muir (pectoral muscle) and Colin Cole (forearm), defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (knee), linebacker Abdul Hodge (knee), fullback John Kuhn (groin), offensive lineman Cameron Stephenson (calf) and tight end Tory Humphrey (ankle) will not initially participate but are expected to do so at some point.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Donald Driver
Greg Jennings
James Jones
Ruvell Martin
Jordy Nelson
Brett Swain.

thats what you gotta think on the final roster.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, our WR group is the deepest in the leauge easily. James Jones could be a # 1 receiver on some other teams, and jordy nelson would be a good # 2 receiver on most teams. Whiel jennings and drivers are pro-bowlers

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it a nice "problem" to have though? Having alot of good WR's to choose from? It seems our GM has a pretty darn good eye for picking quality WR's.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it a nice "problem" to have though? Having alot of good WR's to choose from? It seems our GM has a pretty darn good eye for picking quality WR's.

Yes. Ideally, we want to have a "problem" where you have too many good players and you can get future draft choices for them, regardless of the position.

I'm hoping Harrell shows the world that he deserves to be a #1 pick, so I could sleep better about losing Corey Williams (and gaining a 2nd for him).

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, our WR group is the deepest in the leauge easily. James Jones could be a # 1 receiver on some other teams, and jordy nelson would be a good # 2 receiver on most teams. Whiel jennings and drivers are pro-bowlers

alright now lol thats going a little overboard. Hopefully they become that good though.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's bring it back to reality here.

DD and GJ solid #1 recievers for most teams.

James Jones a good #3, a couple of years away from being a #2 or #1.

Jordy Nelson will hopefully excell on special teams, will be a good #4 or #5 receiver HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

Ruvell Martin IMHO is primed to be the one guy who is ready to explode on the scene, he is in his 3rd year, has the size and speed to be a true deep theat.

That probably leaves one more spot for the rest to fight over and the PS for a couple of more .

Still as posted earlier a very good problem for the coaches to have. A lot of talent to decide from.

BryanAschenbrenner

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ruvell Martin IMHO is primed to be the one guy who is ready to explode on the scene, he is in his 3rd year, has the size and speed to be a true deep theat.

Ruvell is actually pretty slow.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Jordy Nelson will hopefully excell on special teams, will be a good #4 or #5 receiver HIS ROOKIE YEAR.

That probably leaves one more spot for the rest to fight over and the PS for a couple of more .

Still as posted earlier a very good problem for the coaches to have. A lot of talent to decide from.

Come on Buckeye.. why bring it back to reality.. it is the offseason which is for the dreamers to dream.. works every year for the Lions. :lol:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

Yes. I really like the guy, but I don't see him on the Packers 3 years from now.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
anyone else reckon it might be DD's last year in his prime?

You all know Driver's my favorite Packer now that Favre has retired. However, yes. That day is coming. I think it will be downhill in '09.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:

Come on Buckeye.. why bring it back to reality.. it is the offseason which is for the dreamers to dream.. works every year for the Lions. :lol:

Allright they all will make the team and all 12 will go tp the pro bowl!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D

I just want to remind some that it is very rare that a wr makes an impact when he is a rookie in the WCO.
GJ faded his rookie year, and he is turning out to be a very fast learner and developing much quicker than most.
Don;t expect the world from Jordy Nelson, but hey if he surprises everyone and tears it up his rookie season, that is just icing on the cake.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tiger said:
anyone else reckon it might be DD's last year in his prime?

You all know Driver's my favorite Packer now that Favre has retired. However, yes. That day is coming. I think it will be downhill in '09.
Yup....i agree. Driver has been AWESOME. However, he can't keep it up forever. But you know what? He could just as easily have 3 or 4 more great years! He has GJ and Jones to take some of the pressure off him. Before GJ started doing so well, teams pretty much tried to take DD out of the game, as he was pretty much it. They can't do that now, cause GJ will make them pay!

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BryanAschenbrenner said:
Buckeyepackfan said:

Yes. I really like the guy, but I don't see him on the Packers 3 years from now.

"A smart player who knows all three receiver positions in Green Bay's offense and can shift around to play whatever role is needed
Not known as a speed burner, has what scouts call sneaky speed with his long stride that allows him to sneak up on defensive backs on occasion"

DD and GJ are going to have the other teams best db's trying to defend them, Ruvell and JJ will be matched up one on one, RV has the talent to defeat single coverage and get open.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"A smart player who knows all three receiver positions in Green Bay's offense and can shift around to play whatever role is needed
Not known as a speed burner, has what scouts call sneaky speed with his long stride that allows him to sneak up on defensive backs on occasion"

DD and GJ are going to have the other teams best db's trying to defend them, Ruvell and JJ will be matched up one on one, RV has the talent to defeat single coverage and get open.

Oh, fo shizzle he's a decent WR.

But let's look at us.

Driver is still our #1. He will eventually be replaced by JJ. GJ is our Javon Walker. We brought in 2 WRs, one of whom might not even make the team and the other one who will be competing for #3.

Martin knows he's 6'4", which is a huge asset. Would he want to be #4 forever, especially when his agent starts telling him of other team's offers?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just copied that from his Packer profile, again when was "other than GJ" the last time any Packer receiver has made a huge impact his rookie or even his second year?

I think you have to go back to Sterling Sharpe, This is Ruvells year to break out, in this offense the #3 and #4 receivers can make a big difference.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jordy Nelson wasn't brought in to be a trade bait or a special teamer... I believe, the Packers made him their first pick fully intending on making him the next Javon Walker or Greg Jennings. JJ is NOT the next DD. I think GJ will be that and Nelson will play at level with JJ for the 3rd WR position.

I might be a bit off base here but I feel good about Nelson's ability.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One more time.
I think J.N. will turn out great, but...

UNLESS HE IS SOMETHING REALLY SPECTACULAR(and I hope he is) IT IS GOING TO TAKE HIM A COUPLE OF YEARS TO DEVELOPE IN THE WCO!!!!!! That is just the way it is.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Buckeye.. we are in the age of instant sucess.. some think that experience counts for not.. today's model is instantly better than yesterday's...

pretty soon I assume my wife will do the same.. draft another. :lol:

Members online

Latest posts