1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Crossing the boundaries of journalism?(A-Rod/NY Post ordeal)

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by all about da packers, Jun 2, 2007.

1. all about da packers

all about da packers Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

That was the front page of a NY Post last week.

They tracked A-Rod while he was in Toronto for a 3 game series, and tracked him to meeting with the above woman and subsequently the two of them: going to a sports bar, then going to a strip club, and finally going up an elevator in a hotel that was different from the team hotel the other Yankees were staying at.

The question I have is whether or not this was crossing the line between investigative journalism, and just sheer invading someone else's privacy.

Did the NY Post cross the line by tailing Alex around like they did, and then reporting his doings on the front page?

2. arrowgargantuan

arrowgargantuan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    she's not very cute but i'd like to get in on those boobs.

and imo they didn't cross any ethical lines. it sure as hell isn't front page worthy though...or back page for that matter.

"what?! a superstar athlete went to a stripclub?!? stop the presses!"

3. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Re: Crossing the boundaries of journalism?(A-Rod/NY Post ord

Lets face it........they want to sell papers, and that sells.
    I don't know if there are any real journalists anymore.

4. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Seems A-Rod has a preference of she-male type strippers and thats who is with him on the cover...

"Alex Rodriguez preference for she-male, muscular type strippers is substantiated by Joslyn Morse nude photos which surfaced Friday; meanwhile the New York Yankees beat the Red Sox 9-5."

But is this right? Well I guess it all depends on your view..Some might say his is a public figure and its okay for them to follow him around etc..

And some might say its an invasion of privacy..

for me, if he is upset bout this stuff, then dont do it out in the day light..or have someone else go and pick her up..

5. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

It's comes with the teritory in my view. If you want the status, big money, and adoring fans you will end up with unwanted attention at times.
    As long as the photos are taken out in public, not a hidden camera in his room or something, I don't see a problem with it.
    He COULD always do like Michael Jackson did and wear a disguise if he really wants no one to know who he is.

6. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

That's a very curbed opinion/statement.

Many, MANY professional athletes are in the sport because they LOVE the game. Not because they woke up one day and said "gosh i want big money with adoring fans and big shot status so you know what im gonna bust my *** off and be the best player i can be!".

True, some fall into that category but I truly doubt that is how the majority of athletes figured their way into their profession.

Example: Barry Sanders. Do you think he joined the NFL because of the fans? The status? NO. He joined because he loved the game, the competition and it gave him a chance to earn a lot of money in which he helped his family and his church.

7. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3

There again...........if you want to play (and you are any good) you KNOW you are gonna get the attention, reguardless if you are after it or not, or if you are playing cause you "love the game".
    It's not like they don't KNOW that this kind of stuff will happen if they make the big time. If you don't want the attention, then change your profession. It IS their CHOICE after all. It comes with the territory, like i said.
    It doesn't matter WHY they arer playing, that result will be the same if they are any good.

8. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    They don't play to get the status and fans. It's not a reason to play. If it was, everyone would be doing it.

9. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    No.....everyone would be doing it if they had the talent! I know I would!
    I "love" the game too, but i don't have the talent they do.
    If it was just because they love the game, they could be working at WalMart and playing ball on the weekends and week nights, like most other people do.
    MONEY is a big reason why they play. If it wasn't, you wouldn't get guys jumping from team to team as soon as they play decently, and someone else offers them more money. If it was just "love", they would stay with their teammates. They don't build up any loyalty, because alot of them never stay on one team long enough to let that grow.
    If you ever met some of these guys, ALOT of them think they are better then the "lowly fans". Their attitude towards us shows it.
    Not ALL are like that, but alot of them are unfortunatly.
    Todays pro atheletes don't seem to have the loyalty the guys back in the 1960's had. THOSE guys played for the love of the game. It sure wasn't for the money. Most had to work summer jobs to make a living.
    Yes.....some DO play for the love of the game. I'm not argueing that. But not all have that attitude.
    Now.....with the original post, i said that the photographers follow theses guys because of their high profile "jobs". Its the same with any entertainer. If you are any good, you will be followed.
    Heck........photographers have to make a living too. And if they can get several thousand dollars for a decent photo of a high profile person, i can see why they do it. They have to feed their families too.
    Guys like A-Rod are gonna get followed. Especially because they are in a place like New York.
    And after he retires, he will not be followed anymore, the people will go onto their next 'victim" of the day.
    Then A-Rod can buy his own island, and live the rest of his life in total seclusion if he wants, and will never have to worry about how he will feed his family. I'm sorry if i don't feel too sorry for a multi millionaire that has to put up with being the center of attention for a few years.
    Hey....if he (or any other) multi millionare doesn't like it, they can always quit now and go somewhere where no one knows them or doesn't care who they are. They already have more money then they need.