1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Crosby's new competition

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Alex, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Alex

Alex Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +213
  2. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,030
    You See? We're learning. We signed a guy from the 49ers. He's bound to be an all pro!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,375
    I don't know why this is so difficult for us. Two of the best kickers in the NFL last year were a couple rookies, one late round and ome indrafted. There is no reason for us to be tying up 3 million+ a year in one of the worst.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    I hope this no-namer comes out and puts on one hell of a show. I have never been a crosby fan, and last year really pushed me away from any shred of "like" I had for him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,443
    Most teams that draft kickers lose out, which is why in general unless you've got a stud kicker, they all filter through the UDFA market onto teams. Raise your hand if you'd like us to waste a pick on another BJ Sander. Competition is one thing. Wasting a drafting pick is another....and yes, it is wasting. Just because one team got luck in the draft doesn't make it the smart way of doing business. Bring 5 kickers into camp, just don't Mike Sherman a pick

6. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Robbie Gould was undrafted too. It's why I don't like seeing mocks project us a Kicker.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,064
    Christmas came early

8. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,299
    A UDFA with serious ability might not want to compete in GB given other options. A 7th. round pick doesn't have a choice. To spend the pick you'd want to be serious about having a competition and not just kicking tires on a camp leg who hasn't gotten any other offers.

9. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    UDFA love GB. We actually give them a chance.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,299
    I don't know what makes you think GB is unique in that respect.

11. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Actually, it's been noted that we give UDFA a better chance to make the roster than most teams. Yes, there actually are teams out there who hardly give UDFA a glance. We're a very welcoming environment in that respect.

12. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,299
    By whom? There are a lot of UDFAs on NFL rosters. As for kickers in particular, most of them were UDFAs.

That's not exactly my point anyway. Given the option between competing in GB and signing with a team somewhere warm or in a dome without an entrenched incumbent, you know where a guy with NFL talent is going.

13. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +998
    We can bring in morteen Anderson for all i care. Crosby makes way to much to be as bad as he was.

14. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,813
    While I agree Crosby needed a wake up call, and like you I`d like to see the new guy give him a run for his money, I`d never hate a Packer player for going through a slump (hopefully !).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    Glad to see another kicker in camp. But didn't Akers kick like $hit last year and this guy was on their roster??? I guess they wanted to stand by their man like McCarthy did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,443
    It's been a year or two, but I have read at least one article that discussed the higher number of UDFAs that have made the GB versus other teams. When you talk to the players, they all realize that as a UDFA they are paid camp bodies with no expectation by their teams to succeed. It's rare that they can crack the roster. Part of it is pride, because then the GM needs to release a player to make room for the UDFA. That player will likely have come from either the draft, trade, or free agency market. Some GMs look at it as a bad reflection on themselves that they previously drafted/signed the wrong guy. I've seen a few training camp shows that discuss the extremely low chances for UDFAs.

That said, the undrafted route is most typical for kickers so it's a different discussion regarding acquiring players for that position through the undrafted free agent market.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,952
    I hope there is a real competition. Does anyone know how strong this kid's leg is? My guess is he'll have to have a very strong leg to challenge Crosby or McCarthy's man-love for Crosby will win out.

BTW, over the past few years a few articles have mentioned how attractive Green Bay is to UFDAs. My guess is the Packers are in the top 5 teams regarding UDFA who survive final cuts. Another factor is the Packers are willing to bid for UDFAs since signing bonuses are NFL "tiny" - perhaps the best $7,500 the Packers ever spent was Sam Shields' signing bonus as a UDFA.

18. lambeaulambo

lambeaulambo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +180
    Crosby's days of being let go due to poor performance are past now. It is obvious that McCarthy is sticking with him. The thing with Crosby is he makes everything in practice, and misses everything in games. Healthy competition is what this is - nothing more. Crosby will prevail in the end. He has his coach's support.

19. realcaliforniacheese

realcaliforniacheese A-Rods Boss

Ratings:
    +965
    from what I read he was cut at the end of camp. Made 87% of his FG attempts in his senior year but missed 6 point after attempts. I remember alot of teams passed on another Cal player that had some imperfections :D

• Like Like x 1
  20. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +998

Kyle Boller?? haha

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. PWT

PWT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +60
    Kicker Giorgio Tavecchio was cut during 49ers training camp last year. Packer's Contract with Tavcchio has no guaranteed pay involved. If he beats out Crsoby he will get $405,000 this year. He has to make the Packers roster to get it.

• Informative Informative x 1