Crosby is back!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby is currently the third highest paid kicker in the league and the numbers support that he doesn't deserve it by any means.
He's also just signed. Player salaries go up over time, it's inflation, and increasing cap space. If he had signed four years ago, he'd probably be middle of the pack now like you want him to be.

I know you're a numbers guy, but sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story. There are two things I disagree with you on, that you are quite adamant about:
1) That Tom Brady has not taken "Patriot-friendly" money (up until now. Now he wants paid and Belichick is balking).
2) That Mason Crosby shouldn't be re-signed (except maybe for minimum).

D

Deleted member 6794

Make no mistake, like several others, I do disagree with you regarding Crosby, but I’m also curious why you seem to care so much. While it’s true that the Packers could probably use the money elsewhere.... it just doesn’t seem like enough to be worth such a lengthy debate.

I'm most likely that adamant about it because close to everybody else disagrees with me on it. I'm doing a terrible job of convincing others that I'm right about it though ;)

If he had signed four years ago, he'd probably be middle of the pack now like you want him to be.

Actually I wanted the Packers to let Crosby walk away in free agency and replace him with a kicker on a rookie deal.

I know you're a numbers guy, but sometimes the numbers don't tell the whole story. There are two things I disagree with you on, that you are quite adamant about:

That Tom Brady has not taken "Patriot-friendly" money (up until now. Now he wants paid and Belichick is balking).

I have posted numbers that support my claim about Brady actually not taking less money in the past. It takes some time but I will have an updated chart coming your way within the next days.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FTR I love Crosby, but twice now have said the team should let him walk and add a rookie deal kicker.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have posted numbers that support my claim about Brady actually not taking less money in the past. It takes some time but I will have an updated chart coming your way within the next days.
Not necessary, we've seen that discussion over and over. On the off chance you're not joking.
Besides, he's basically said he's done taking less and now wants to be paid. Funny time to decide that at age 42.

D

Deleted member 6794

Besides, he's basically said he's done taking less and now wants to be paid. Funny time to decide that at age 42.

True, but I fully expect several teams offering Brady a lot of money even with him turning 43 years old before the start of the season if he makes it to free agency.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but I fully expect several teams offering Brady a lot of money even with him turning 43 years old before the start of the season if he makes it to free agency.
Probably, and Kraft has said they aren't going to break the bank for him. And I doubt Belichick would be willing. Should be interesting to see what happened. At least the coronavirus isn't going to shut down the free agency period.

Reaction score
I'm interested in why using career average doesn't hold up??? Because it doesn't fit your narrative???
That’s actually funny because a narrative nonfiction is used to tell the truth. So yes.. your argument using career generalization doesn’t fit my narrative nearly as much as the more detailed truth (most recent career average)
Because career average is more for the record books and you used it as one of several arguments that don’t hold as much weight as recent productivity. Part of My argument in support of Crosby is that Career average is not as compelling of an argument as his most recent production when it involves a brand new contract.

My second argument that you disagree with is that there is a slight adjustment made for a brand new contract verses veterans who signed a couple of seasons ago, I think you already know this but you’re conveniently and repeatedly ignoring it by posting a “contract terms” argument (He’s the 3rd highest paid, he’s paid in “elite” fashion etc) My issue with that is to use that argument, you need to compare his contract placing against his peers with contracts starting in the future, not the past. One would also look at the % variance of his veteran peers contracts and they are generally around a +-10% variance. That’s not enough salary separation to call one “elite” over another. If anything, his are relatively comparable with a large group of veterans. I also think the veteran Kicker “mean” was used by the FO as baseline for his “new” moderate veteran deal.

If you were discussing a HOF nomination? You’ve got my attention. If we are discussing a future contract I want to know he’s not on the decline.
Obviously the GB brass liked his 2019. Had Crosby had one of his down years? He’d have already cleaned his locker, regardless of his early career production etc..

Lastly, this argument you have of GB “taking it easy” on Mason to somehow coddle him and make his production soar into the top 4 is just plain silly. I’m not going to entertain that in detail because it’s unsubstantiated hyperbole and appears to be really reaching.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Ahhhh.....might not shut it down, but might limit the visits for Free Agents to various teams.

True, that might be a pretty important factor when evaluating players coming from injuries.

Because career average is more for the record books and you used it as one of several arguments that don’t hold as much weight as recent productivity. Part of My argument in support of Crosby is that Career average is not as compelling of an argument as his most recent production when it involves a brand new contract.

You're making the mistake of evaluating Crosby solely based on last season's performance when he kicked only 24 field goals with nine of them coming in perfect conditions in a dome while the average length of his attempts was only at 37.2 yards.

Why don't you include the 2017 and '18 seasons when he ranked 25th out of 29 qualified kickers in field goal percentage??? Talking about cherry picking stats.

My second argument that you disagree with is that there is a slight adjustment made for a brand new contract verses veterans who signed a couple of seasons ago, I think you already know this but you’re conveniently and repeatedly ignoring it by posting a “contract terms” argument (He’s the 3rd highest paid, he’s paid in “elite” fashion etc) My issue with that is to use that argument, you need to compare his contract placing against his peers with contracts starting in the future, not the past. One would also look at the % variance of his veteran peers contracts and they are generally around a +-10% variance. That’s not enough salary separation to call one “elite” over another. If anything, his are relatively comparable with a large group of veterans. I also think the veteran Kicker “mean” was used by the FO as baseline for his “new” moderate veteran deal.

I agree there are a lot of kickers being paid similar money as Crosby. Unfortunately all of them have been proven to be capable of performing at a better level than him over an extended period of time.

Lastly, this argument you have of GB “taking it easy” on Mason to somehow coddle him and make his production soar into the top 4 is just plain silly. I’m not going to entertain that in detail because it’s unsubstantiated hyperbole and appears to be really reaching.

Once again you ignore the numbers presented because they don't fit your narrative.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts