Crosby is back!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, Crosby attempted nine of his 24 field goals in a dome last season. In addition he didn't try a single field goal with winds more than 10 mph. Therefore I highly doubt the weather was a factor at all.
You're going to great lengths to explain away his great season ;)

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Gutekunst and a lot of other fans agree with you on it. I just don't see the need on spending several millions a season on a kicker.

A look at teams who have problems with kickers should be enough to tell you why Gutekunst sees the need to pay Crosby. Many teams struggle with their kickers and some of them cut their good ones because they wanted to be cheap. And that fired backwards. Best example are the Bears. Good Kickers are so damn hard to find and relying on a rookie to deal with GB in winter regularly aint the solution when the team is in win-now mode, which the Packers are.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're going to great lengths to explain away his great season ;)

Crosby's number were mostly great because he didn't have to attempt a lot of tough kicks last season.

A look at teams who have problems with kickers should be enough to tell you why Gutekunst sees the need to pay Crosby. Many teams struggle with their kickers and some of them cut their good ones because they wanted to be cheap. And that fired backwards. Best example are the Bears. Good Kickers are so damn hard to find and relying on a rookie to deal with GB in winter regularly aint the solution when the team is in win-now mode, which the Packers are.

I have posted on several occasions that it wouldn't have been tough to replace Crosby with an undrafted kicker over the past few years and supported that claim with a ton of numbers. For whatever reason fans believe he's the second coming of Justin Tucker and therefore are fine paying him nearly as much money.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Crosby's number were mostly great because he didn't have to attempt a lot of tough kicks last season.

I have posted on several occasions that it wouldn't have been tough to replace Crosby with an undrafted kicker over the past few years and supported that claim with a ton of numbers. For whatever reason fans believe he's the second coming of Justin Tucker and therefore are fine paying him nearly as much money.

Literally no one believes that he is Tucker 2.0 and no one denies that he was overpaid the last couple of years. But when you compare his stats with the kickers in his price range(average) he isnt really worse than most. Only Gostkowski was more consistent and better than Crosby. The rest has comparable stats

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, Crosby attempted nine of his 24 field goals in a dome last season. In addition he didn't try a single field goal with winds more than 10 mph. Therefore I highly doubt the weather was a factor at all.

Don't get me wrong, I like Crosby but he's an average kicker at best paid like an elite one. In my opinion the Packers could save some cap space by going with a kicker still on his rookie deal.
Fair enough. I don’t know what the top 5 kickers in the league make. I suppose the place to start is with Tucker, who seems to be the gold standard right now amongst kickers. I’m guessing you have those numbers.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Gluten using one of his many 6th and 7th round picks on a kicker, although that ship seems to have sailed. And even if they had paid Crosby $3 mil/year, the impact on cap isn’t tremendous. I also get that if you think he’s an average kicker, the contract simply isn’t warranted.

I see him as above average (subjective call - he just fits with GB), along with some others on here, and you and some others don’t. That’s ok we can disagree. I just don’t know who we’d replace him with, and I think Gluten maybe made the deal quickly just to get it off his plate. IMO he has much bigger decisions to make leading up to FA and the draft.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Find one person who has suggested anything like that Wimm. Just one.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta have a mainly good kicker in this league. Too many close games. Taking chances at that position to save a few dollars is penny wise and pound foolish. Of course anyone can miss a kick and then the naysayers can say...I told you so. Just not worth messing with.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
people dismissing a good kicker who scored points, who had a very good year, who made clutch, game-winning FG's, and was an actual positive-performing offensive player. smh

Wimm had dug in deep on not liking Crosby, and isn't willing to admit he might have been wrong.

D

Deleted member 6794

Literally no one believes that he is Tucker 2.0 and no one denies that he was overpaid the last couple of years. But when you compare his stats with the kickers in his price range(average) he isnt really worse than most. Only Gostkowski was more consistent and better than Crosby. The rest has comparable stats

The new deal makes Crosby the third highest paid player in the league. He definitely doesn't deserve being paid like that.

Find one person who has suggested anything like that Wimm. Just one.

Nearly all of you are fine with Crosby being paid like an elite kicker when he's an average one at best. Surprisingly no other player on the roster gets as much leeway.

people dismissing a good kicker who scored points, who had a very good year, who made clutch, game-winning FG's, and was an actual positive-performing offensive player. smh

A lot of Packers fans put way too much stock into two game winning field goals against the Lions from 23 and 33 yards.

Wimm had dug in deep on not liking Crosby, and isn't willing to admit he might have been wrong.

I think Crosby is a great person but he shouldn't be paid like an elite kicker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and vikings fans would have given their left nut, and likely their right for a make from 27 yards.

anyway, "elite" kicker money doesn't limit anything like an "elite" WR, QB, DB, OLB etc will when it comes to the cap. He's paid like a back up guard.

D

Deleted member 6794

and vikings fans would have given their left nut, and likely their right for a make from 27 yards.

anyway, "elite" kicker money doesn't limit anything like an "elite" WR, QB, DB, OLB etc will when it comes to the cap. He's paid like a back up guard.

It's not smart overpaying for an average player no matter the position. Fans seem to get that at every other position but for some reason doesn't apply the same approach to kicker for whatever reason.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The new deal makes Crosby the third highest paid player in the league. He definitely doesn't deserve being paid like that.

Yeah but compared to kicker with similar stats like Crosby, he gets maybe 200k more on average. That is nothing. Maybe, just maybe the whole NFL overpays for solid kickers because they are so damn hard to find. We are talking about a low amount of money, him averaging only 3M would make no big difference. I know that you would rather have a rookie kicker on a cheap contract but the Packers are not keen on taking this risk and the contract is really not that bad as you make it out to be.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of the "he is getting paid like elite" is due to timing of his signings. A few more this year and a few next year and he'll quickly be close if not out of the Top 10.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah but compared to kicker with similar stats like Crosby, he gets maybe 200k more on average. That is nothing. Maybe, just maybe the whole NFL overpays for solid kickers because they are so damn hard to find. We are talking about a low amount of money, him averaging only 3M would make no big difference. I know that you would rather have a rookie kicker on a cheap contract but the Packers are not keen on taking this risk and
the contract is really not that bad as you make it out to be.

In my opinion the money paid to Crosby would definitely be smarter spent on a mid-tier player on either offense or defense. Unfortunately the Packers don't agree with me on it.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the money paid to Crosby would definitely be smarter spent on a mid-tier player on either offense or defense. Unfortunately the Packers don't agree with me on it.

You know I de-value a kicker and also feel fiscally it was NOT what I would have done. I'd have done precisely what you described and drafted a kicker most likely.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not smart overpaying for an average player no matter the position. Fans seem to get that at every other position but for some reason doesn't apply the same approach to kicker for whatever reason.
because we're not talking about a cap crippling amount of money for piece of mind. I don't care about his stats, because outside of a bad year and a bad stretch, he's been pretty good. Among his peers he's hardly overpaid at all and for every cheap rookie kicker you find me that was successful, I can find a couple that didn't make it past 3 real NFL games before never kicking again, or worse. ask Da Bears, Vikings and Steelers how kickers matter.

If I'm going to bet money, it's on a guy like Crosby. Solid, reliable, has been thru it and has shown he has not only the leg, but the mental toughness to come thru when many others wither and fade away.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of the "he is getting paid like elite" is due to timing of his signings. A few more this year and a few next year and he'll quickly be close if not out of the Top 10.

Same thing happened with Davante Adams and people *****ed. Now they all rightly claim it's a bargain.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's the proper way to do this.

Last time Crosby got a contract, it was 2.57% of the salary cap. This time, it's for 2.16% of the cap. It's a raise for Crosby, but less of the salary cap devoted to a kicker.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're entering into our final window for Super Bowl chances with Rodgers, I don't want a question mark back there at kicker. I'll take the solid vet. It's not like we're breaking the bank for him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're entering into our final window for Super Bowl chances with Rodgers, I don't want a question mark back there at kicker. I'll take the solid vet. It's not like we're breaking the bank for him.

To be fair...this same mindset could lead to Graham not being cut OR his contract restructured. Rather than deal with yet another TE change of guards for Rodgers, at least offer him consistency player wise there. Honestly, if Graham would hear restructuring and we get his hit lowered he isn't the "worst" option at TE...he is however the worst option at his current price.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn’t seem like hardly anyone agrees with you on that. That being the case... perhaps you should back up and evaluate your own position?

Members online

Latest posts